inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Singer Rick James Has Died

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/06/04 at 3:08 pm

I just found out that funk singer Rick James has died.  :\'(

LOS ANGELES - Funk legend Rick James, best known for the 1981 hit "Super Freak," died Friday, apparently of natural causes, police said.

James died at 9:45 a.m. at a residence near Universal City, said Police Department spokeswoman Esther Reyes.

"We learned of his death after responding to a radio call," Reyes said.

After his big hit, James' fame began to fade as he became embroiled in drugs, legal problems and health issues.

James was convicted in 1993 of assaulting two women. The first attack occurred in 1991 when he restrained and burned a young woman with a hot pipe during a cocaine binge at his house in West Hollywood. He was free on bail when the second assault occurred in 1992 in James' hotel room.

James was sentenced to more than two years in state prison.

In 1997, he released a new album, but a year later he suffered a stroke while performing at Denver's Mammoth Events Center, derailing a comeback tour.

In 1998 he also underwent hip replacement surgery.

With his trademark Jheri curl, James was one of the biggest R&B stars of the 1980s, using danceable rhythms and passionate ballads to gain a wide following. Aside from "Super Freak" — which MC Hammer used a decade later as the backing track for his monster hit "U Can't Touch This" — James' hits included "Mary Jane," "Ebony Eyes" and "Fire and Desire," a stirring duet with Teena Marie.

Subject: Re: Singer Rick James Has Died

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/06/04 at 3:25 pm

The good ones always seem to go early.  :\'(

RIP, Rick James.  :\'(  You really were a Super Freak.  8)

Written By: Cheetara on 08/06/04 at 3:36 pm

RIP  Rick James  :\'(
I will always have fond memories of shaking my tailfeather to your music at funky parties.  8)

*** poors beer on ground in rememberence***

I will always be a "maryjane" girl.  :\'(

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/06/04 at 4:26 pm

Very tragic, indeed. We were all just talking about him and his past work in the music industries. What a lot of the media may have forgotten is that Rick James was with the Mynah Birds with Neil Young and a few others, and he felt like his white conterparts underestimated his talent. He will be missed. :\'(

Written By: BLO-TOWN on 08/06/04 at 4:48 pm

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRREEEEEEE.........

It's a sad day but Rick said it best...

"It's a celebration bit**es. I'm Rick James bit**!"

.............AND DEEEEEEESSSSSSIIIIIIIIRRRRRREEEEEE

RIP Rick James

Written By: Bobby on 08/06/04 at 5:03 pm

Very sad. R.I.P Rick James.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/06/04 at 5:49 pm

RIP   Rick James  :\'(
I will always have fond memories of shaking my tailfeather to your music at funky parties.   8)

*** poors beer on ground in rememberence***

I will always be a "maryjane" girl.   :\'(

I'm right there with you.

Tanya

Written By: The Invincible on 08/06/04 at 8:06 pm

Well, that does it. Now I have some real motivation to release my "I'm Rick James" parody on AmIRight. He was truly a great man and his music will continue to define our generation. He will be missed.

Written By: Howard on 08/06/04 at 8:36 pm

http://wwwi.reuters.com/images/mdf649776.jpg

I guess he's waving goodbye to you.I will truly miss him.just couldn't believe he died when I heard his name on the radio this afternoon.My favorites are:

Superfreak
You And I
Give It To Me Baby
Glow

and such a bunch of others he sang it's hard to list them all. :( R.I.P Rick James and Thank You. :)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 08/06/04 at 8:40 pm

The good ones always seem to go early.  :\'(

RIP, Rick James.  :\'(  You really were a Super Freak.  8)

Ray Charles,John Whitheead,Barry White. :\'(

Howard

Written By: Harmonica on 08/06/04 at 9:54 pm

Sorry to hear about Rick James leaving the Earth, good to know he's jamming with Jesus up in the Spirit in the sky.

I'm anxious to see what Dave Chappelle has to say about this.

Written By: SuperFreak on 08/06/04 at 10:05 pm

This is very sad news, R.I.P. Rick :\'(

Written By: PhiKapDave on 08/06/04 at 10:22 pm

RIP, Rick.  :-[

It's ironic because my barber and I were just talking about Rick today. We were discussing Prince's opening for Rick here in Detroit back in the late '70s. I found about Rick's passing about an hour later...

Written By: Jessica on 08/07/04 at 1:09 am

That sucks. I loved his and Teena Marie's song "Fire and Desire". I think I have to go play it now.... :\'(

Written By: gumbypiz on 08/07/04 at 4:15 am

It early in the am, and I just came back from the local watering hole/pub/bar discussing this with others. Very surprised and shocked of his passing, his songs were played on the jukebox in memorial.
Many toasts were made to him.

Still can't really understand the "natural causes" statement of his death. To me 56 is STILL to young to die. Can't help but to wonder if his lifestyle brought his life to a early end.

RIP Rick, hope your "bustin out" with the angels in heaven. We will miss you. :(

Hope Dave Chappelle gives recognition to his passing.....

Written By: Howard on 08/07/04 at 10:30 am

I wonder what "natural causes" means in his case?  RIP Rick

It means death without apparent reason but they are doing an autopsy.I think it could've been a drug overdose. :\'(

Howard

Written By: Howard on 08/07/04 at 10:34 am

http://www.rickjames.com/images/rickjames-smallphoto.jpg

I kinda thought he fought off the demons but I guess they came back.I wonder if Teena Marie is reading the death of him.She must be shocked to pieces. :(

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/07/04 at 1:35 pm

It means death without apparent reason but they are doing an autopsy.I think it could've been a drug overdose. :\'(

Howard

Or, it could just be that all those years of snorting and freebasing coke took their toll on his heart and it finally blew out.  ???

He already had a pacemaker installed, and he had a stroke back in '98 or '99, both conditions very unusual for a 56-year-old.  :-\\

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/07/04 at 6:59 pm

:o I know Rick James had his problems but I will always remember the music he created...Goodbye Rick James, your 'punk funk' sound lives on... :\'(

Written By: Dagwood on 08/07/04 at 8:30 pm

Or, it could just be that all those years of snorting and freebasing coke took their toll on his heart and it finally blew out.  ???

Kinda what I am thinking, too. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/08/04 at 2:51 am

So long Rick...
"Superfreak" defined a generation of baaadddaaasss!!!

The man was hooked on crack for longer than any one body ought to be able to withstand.  Then there was jail and bankruptcy, stroke, and surgeries.  I think he just got all tired out.
:\'(

Written By: Howard on 08/08/04 at 4:11 pm

Gee, my sarcasm isn't going over very well lately...

:( :(  I know what "natural causes" means, but with his history, how can you tell?

his stroke back in 1998,smoking was somewhat a part of his condition and drinking maybe as well. :(

Howard

Written By: Howard on 08/08/04 at 4:13 pm

I can't believe how many tributes of Rick James they are playing today on my radio.Where you live,are there any Rick James tributes on your radio?

Howard

Written By: Heavymetal on 08/09/04 at 5:09 pm

R.I.P. Superfreak  I'll smoke one for you tonight.

Written By: Howard on 08/09/04 at 9:31 pm

I also like his others such as:

Big Time
Glow
Ghetto Life
You Turn Me On

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...