inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: News: Izora Armstead (Weather Girls) R.I.P.

Written By: Alice on 09/21/04 at 3:22 pm

Disco Diva Izora Armstead Dies (Reuters)

http://www.showconnection.ch/images/entertainment/topacts/the_weather_girls.jpg

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Izora Rhodes Armstead, one-half of disco/pop acts the Weather Girls and Two Tons O' Fun, died Thursday (Sept. 16) at San Leandro Hospital, near Oakland, Calif.

The cause was heart failure. Her age is not known.

Armstead began her career as a backup singer for disco artist Sylvester, along with her future music partner Martha Wash. They lent vocals to four Sylvester albums, including the 1978 Fantasy Records set "Step II," which spawned two No. 1 Billboard club hits: "Dance (Disco Heat)" and "(You Make Me Feel) Mighty Real." The former was also a top-20 hit on the Hot 100, while the latter reached the top 40.

In 1979, Armstead and Wash left Sylvester to record as Two Tons O' Fun. Honey/Fantasy released two albums by the duo, "Two Tons O' Fun" (1980) and "Backatcha." The pair's debut included such now-classic dancefloor hits as "I Got the Feeling," "Just Us," "Do You Wanna Boogie, Hunh?" and "Earth Can Be Just Like Heaven."

In the early '80s, without a label to call home, Armstead and Wash regrouped as the Weather Girls and signed with Columbia Records.

The duo scored a global smash with "It's Raining Men," which spent two weeks at No. 1 on Billboard's Hot Dance Club Play chart in 1982. A follow-up single, "No One Can Love You More Than Me," was an underground club hit. After three albums, the Weather Girls were dropped by Columbia, and Armstead and Wash, while remaining friends, went their separate musical ways.

Armstead moved to Frankfurt, Germany, 15 years ago. It was there that she formed a new version of the Weather Girls with her daughter Dynell Rhodes. In addition to nonstop touring, the mother/daughter act recorded a handful of albums for WEA Germany, including "Double Tons of Fun" in 1994.

Last month, Armstead returned to the Bay Area to undergo treatment for heart-related problems. She is survived by a sister, Laversa, seven children and several grandchildren.

Reuters/Billboard http://www.entertainment-news.org/breaking/6821/disco-diva-izora-armstead-dies.html

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/80sLove

Subject: Re: News: Izora Armstead (Weather Girls) R.I.P.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/21/04 at 4:22 pm

How sad!  :\'(

Tanya

Written By: rubixgirl on 09/21/04 at 4:24 pm

RIP  :\'(

Written By: Dagwood on 09/21/04 at 5:31 pm

Wow, that is sad.

Written By: Howard on 09/25/04 at 9:48 am

Wow,now what's gonna become of Martha Wash?  :(

Howard

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/09/08 at 6:14 am

Should this thread be on Celebrity Heaven Board now?

Written By: whistledog on 05/09/08 at 6:37 am

Should this thread be on Celebrity Heaven Board now?

sure, why not lol

Check for new replies or respond here...