inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Actor Christopher Reeve Dies

Written By: ElDuderino on 10/11/04 at 12:18 am

"Nikki Finke in Los Angeles is reporting that actor Christopher Reeve is dead, according to sources close to the actor. He died suddenly Sunday. News of his death has not been reported publicly yet. His family will make an announcement Monday at the earliest. Reeve was just mentioned Friday in the second live presidential debate by John Kerry. Noting he was a friend of the paralysed Reeve, Kerry said he was in favor of further stem cell research because Reeve could walk again one day thanks to such science.... MORE... "

SOURCE: http://www.drudgereport.com

:\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

NO.I don't want to believe it, but I am afraid it is true. Christopher Reeves passed away...

I have followed his ordeal over the last few years, I have been inspired by him, and was hoping some day stem cell would let him walk again. This sucks.

REST IN PEACE, SUPERMAN.

Subject: Re: Actor Christopher Reeves Dies

Written By: ktelqueen on 10/11/04 at 12:34 am

that is very sad news  :\'(

Written By: ElDuderino on 10/11/04 at 12:36 am

More information:

"Publicist Wesley Combs tells The Associated Press that actor Chrispopher Reeve died Sunday. He fell into a coma Saturday after going into cardiac arrest while at his New York home. He was 52."

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/11/04 at 12:37 am

oh god is this for real ? has there been official confirmation yet ?

if its true I am devestated - I have adored him for 25 years and admired him even more after his accident and the amazing will he showed when others would have given up.

Written By: ElDuderino on 10/11/04 at 12:40 am

Unfortunately it's official now, turn the TV to CNN, its on their news ticker as Breaking News.

It's also on the CNN and FOX News websites.

Subject: Re: Actor Christopher Reeve Dies

Written By: NbC on 10/11/04 at 2:07 am

Devastating News.  :\'(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/11/04 at 2:12 am

Christopher Reeve had lots of talent,both as an actor and director. He faced his challenges and soldiered on without expecting anyone to pity him. RIP to a true 'superman'..

I know the meanies on the AOL news boards will have a field day mocking him and saying stuff like 'the cripple died'...why I don't go on their news boards anymore!

Written By: Niko101 on 10/11/04 at 5:00 am

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm still sad about Rodney, so now I'm downright bummed out. I need some chocolate NOW!  :\'(

Last month, I bought my mom a birthday present: "Gift Horse" nail polish...all profits go to Christopher Reeve's charity. You can get this product from Philosophy's website: http://www.philosophy.com. Please don't let Christopher's courage and hard work die with him. We all need to get involved when it comes to important matters (trying not to get political here). Even if it's something as simple as buying presents with charitable connections. They're out there if you look for them. I know it sounds totally off topic, but that's what's in my head right now. Really, where's my chocolate?!

Written By: mandamoo on 10/11/04 at 7:50 am

What a shock !  Very sad, indeed  :(

Written By: Harmonica on 10/11/04 at 8:32 am

I first saw Christopher Reeve's acting ability as Superman in the Superman movies. Growing up as a little kid I would often get into the Superman role, he was my favorite of the superheros. No one played him better than Christopher Reeve, he'll always be Superman to me.

Written By: Hairspray on 10/11/04 at 8:40 am

:\'(  Such a loss. In my opinion he was the truest personification of Superman that could ever exist in our time. May he rest in peace, walking in the peaceful valleys of the most beautiful place imaginable.

Here's U.S.A. Today's link:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2004-10-11-reeve-obit_x.htm?csp=24&RM_Exclude=Juno

Written By: karen on 10/11/04 at 8:46 am

I first saw Christopher Reeve's acting ability as Superman in the Superman movies. Growing up as a little kid I would often get into the Superman role, he was my favorite of the superheros. No one played him better than Christopher Reeve, he'll always be Superman to me.

Ironically my little boy decided to be 'Superman' today on the way to nursery.  He wears his coat hood on his head and runs about with the rest of the coat flying behind him.  It's something he does occasionally but hasn't for a little while.  What a day to chose to do it.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/11/04 at 9:02 am

:\'(

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/11/04 at 9:37 am

The curse of "Superman" continues. However, I believe that Chistopher Reeve is flying high in Heaven. It's a shame we never saw him walk again like he wanted. He will be missed. :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 10/11/04 at 9:57 am

SUPERMAN'S SONG - Crash Test Dummies

Tarzan wasn't a ladies' man
He'd just come along and scoop 'em up under his arm
Like that, quick as a cat in the jungle
But Clark Kent, now there was a real gent
He would not be caught sittin' around in no
Junglescape, dumb as an ape doing nothing

Superman never made any money
For saving the world from Solomon Grundy
And sometimes I despair the world will never see
Another man like him

Hey Bob, Supe had a straight job
Even though he could have smashed through any bank
In the United States, he had the strength, but he would now
Folks said his family were all dead
Their planet crumbled but Superman, he forced himself
To carry on, forget Krypton, and keep going

Tarzan was king of the jungle and Lord over all the apes
But he could hardly string together four words: "I Tarzan, You Jane."

Sometimes when Supe was stopping crimes
I'll bet that he was tempted to just quit and turn his back
On man, join Tarzan in the forest
But he stayed in the city, and kept on changing clothes
In dirty old phonebooths till his work was through
And nothing to do but go on home

(Thought this was somewhat appropriate - Absolutely Vile)

Written By: Davester on 10/11/04 at 11:10 am

This news makes me absolutely heartsick...

I remember 1978, fourth grade and twelve trips to see a man fly.

Goodbye, Superman...

Written By: Xonnie316 on 10/11/04 at 11:18 am

I feel truly sad about this news that Christopher Reeve passed away,

He was so good at the role of being Superman, and also deep down in his heart he was truly a superman surviving through these years being paralysed,

Xonnie316

Written By: Cheeky Ferret on 10/11/04 at 11:42 am

It is a shame.  He had a great attitude towards coping with a disability.  Such a shame that after all this time, just when the world was pushing for the research he lost his battle.  His loss will not be in vain, his memory will live on in others he has fought to cure and some day they will be cured.

Written By: Jessica on 10/11/04 at 12:02 pm

I can't even describe how I feel right now.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/11/04 at 12:49 pm

:\'( :\'( :\'(
Alas, such terrible injuries leave even the strongest among us vulnerable to acute infections.

Reeves was so admirable and brave in the face of his adversity.  He accomplished a great deal through arduous therapy in respiratory and muscular rehabilitation.  It may not have looked like much, but considering his complete paralysis, it was hard fought and won.

Reeves lobbied Congress to enact legislation for better insurance protection against catastrophic injuries.  He was more recently a powerful advocate for stem cell research, which could one day lead to regenerative therapies for paralysis.

He didn't give up on show biz either.  He also did a remake of Hitchcock's "Rear Window" in the late '90s, among other projects.

Goodbye, Mr. Reeves, and thanks for fighting the good fight!
:\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/11/04 at 1:19 pm

I too, was very saddened by the news. I was really hoping that he would have the chance to walk again. I liked him as an actor prior to his accident but I really admired the work he did after-not just the stuff he did in the entertainment field but also his fight for spinal cord injuries.

I really liked his remake of "Rear Window" and his directing of the movie, "In The Gloming" (however it is spelled). If you ever get a chance to see that movie, I do recomend it.

R. I. P.  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: nally on 10/11/04 at 2:46 pm

I just read about it in the paper this morning. Sad news indeed. :\'( Two celebs check out in one 24-hour period.

Written By: gemini61 on 10/11/04 at 3:55 pm

R.I.P. Superman  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/11/04 at 4:30 pm

Truly sad! But, I know he's walking in heaven now!

Tanya

Written By: Dagwood on 10/11/04 at 6:13 pm

Man, I can't believe Superman died.  That was a horrible way to start my day.  R.I.P. Mr. Reeve.

Written By: jaytee on 10/11/04 at 6:15 pm

I feel terribly sad about this news :\'(

Written By: Bobby on 10/11/04 at 6:57 pm

Rest in peace, Christopher Reeves - Superman.  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/11/04 at 7:50 pm

http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2004/10/11/inside-reeve.jpg

RIP Superman! :\'(

Howard

Written By: Howard on 10/11/04 at 7:51 pm

I just read about it in the paper this morning. Sad news indeed. :\'( Two celebs check out in one 24-hour period.

I pray that there won't be a 3rd death for October or maybe November. :(

Howard

Written By: Joelle on 10/12/04 at 12:06 pm

He will be missed.

Written By: Marian on 10/12/04 at 1:57 pm

:(I know time was slowly working against him;still I was surprised at his demise considering the many frail disabled people who have survived much longer.I think the freak nature of his accident played a great part in other disabled people wanting people to think they were like him--that it could happen to anyone,and he didn't dive into shallow water or do something else you were warned not to do.He will be missed.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/12/04 at 5:39 pm

I was getting my hair done today and noticed in the magizine rack was the Oct. 2004 Reader's Digest with his pic on it. It was an interview he did not too long ago. He was very hopeful for the future-talked about walking again, etc. How ironic and very sad.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/12/04 at 6:29 pm

He will be missed. :\'(

I will probably watch The Superman movies later. :)

Howard

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/13/04 at 1:50 am

I have had more time to absorb this now.

I was at Sydney airport at a net terminal when I initially read this thread and it didnt sink in.  Half an hour later it came over the tv screens as a news flash.  I got on the plane crying and I wasnt the only one.

Our news stations did amazing tribute articles.

If you have not yet read his autobiography Still Me - I highly recommend it - its the most motivational "actors tale" you will ever read.

My favourite Chris films will always be Superman 1 and 2 and Somewhere in Time.

I hope he is flying around in some nice soft clouds now.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/13/04 at 6:34 pm

Chris was also involved in making an upcoming TV-movie about another differently-abled person who aspires to achieve-Brooke Ellison.She is also a ventilator-dependent quadriplegic-and she attends an Ivy League college-Harvard.

Written By: Fred on 10/13/04 at 6:35 pm

Superman rules! The thing is I was just watching Superman 2 the day before he passed.  :\'( R.I.P. my good man.

Written By: Howard on 10/13/04 at 6:46 pm

Nobody will ever replace Christopher Reeve.He was one of a kind. :\'(

Howard

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 10/15/04 at 1:37 am

This was awful news.  I was stone faced for most of the day on Monday.  Everyone took this news hard, but I have noticed that all of us that did a lot of growing in the 80s especially were messed up because of the loss of a childhood hero. 

Reeve nailed the role of Superman, both looking the part and doing something no one ever did before or since him---underplaying the role and not overacting macho with the folded arms and saying something campy like "Citizens of Metropolis...".  Reeve played Superman straight and natural and let the costume do all the work, which is the main reason why his Supes comes across more believable then anyone elses.  This was true of all comic book hero roles, not just Superman.  Most people overplay their characters. 

But Christopher Reeve's humanitarian work eclipsed anything he did as Superman.  A great man was lost, but he is in a better place now, free from his damaged body.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 10/15/04 at 6:27 am

I really liked this article in todays Australian.

Screen heroes who weren't just putting on an act
Mark Juddery
October 15, 2004

THE death of Christopher Reeve has received more attention than the deaths of many movie stars with more illustrious careers. The sadness so many felt on hearing that he had died of a heart attack on Monday was not just a response to his cinematic career. That, after all, was distinguished by a single role, albeit one he played extremely well.

What made Reeve a hero was how he handled himself in his later years when, paralysed from the neck down, he became a powerful advocate for people with spinal injuries. The juxtaposition of this against the comic-book description of Superman as "the greatest of all heroes" gave his death, at the relatively young age of 52, an aching poignancy.

Neither bulletproof nor super-strong, unable to leap tall buildings - or, indeed, even walk - Reeve had a courage and an optimism that made him a rare kind of movie star: one whose real-life heroism equalled his on-screen valour.

The off-screen lives of movie heroes don't always measure up to their on-screen personas. John Wayne, a war hero in countless films, was, according to a 1996 poll, considered a hero by most Americans. Instead of serving in World War II, however, he focused on becoming one of the top box-office drawcards in the US.

While Wayne was playing heroes some of his colleagues were risking their lives in combat. James Stewart was the first Hollywood star to enter the services, joining the air force in 1940. As a colonel, he earned the Air Medal, the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Croix de Guerre and seven battle stars.

His achievements at war contrasted sharply with his mild-mannered image. In Stewart's most celebrated film, It's a Wonderful Life (1946), he played a man who was unable to serve in the military because he was partially deaf. In the western The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962), he played a politician who takes credit for shooting a villain. That movie's hero, the man who really shot the villain, was played by Wayne.

Stewart remained true to his regular-guy image in one sense: disturbed by the memory of killing others and watching his friends die, he was reluctant to discuss his time at war.

Today's movie stars are more likely to gain hero status through working with charities or advocating worthy causes than by going to war - although their involvement is often viewed cynically, as just another shot at media coverage. And high-profile campaigning can have repercussions that are not necessarily career-enhancing. The stance taken against the war in Iraq by Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins lost them roles and earned them death threats - and conservative critics still derided them as "dangerous" self-publicists. Moral heroism off-screen is rarely encouraged.

Perhaps the problem today is the ubiquity of publicity. We are so used to Hollywood stars carefully crafting their image that we assume - not always unreasonably - that any good they do is part of the spin. It takes someone such as Reeve to break through our scepticism.

Seventy years ago the charity work of Marion Davies was not controversial, partly because it wasn't widely reported in celebrity magazines. Davies, a popular comic in her time, is mostly remembered as the mistress of press baron William Randolph Hearst. Referred to by Hearst biographer W.A. Swanberg as "one of the most generous and warm-hearted women alive", she was known in Hollywood circles for her personal kindness and her work with several charities.

Nick Langdon, of the Los Angeles fan club Friends of Marion, easily reels off Davies's acts of kindness. From the late 1920s throughout the early '30s she treated underprivileged children in Los Angeles to a Christmas circus on the MGM studio lot - newsreels show them receiving a toy, their parents receiving food baskets, all at her expense. When actor William Haines and his lover Jimmy were ousted from Hollywood for being gay she gave them refuge for a year in Hearst's Californian home. During the war she emptied her living room, had sewing machines installed and conscripted Hollywood wives into sewing bandages.

"There are still people alive today whose lives were saved because they were sick as children and Marion paid to have them treated," Langdon says.

The universal adoration of Audrey Hepburn stems in part from our knowledge of her childhood struggles in Nazi-occupied Holland - eating tulip bulbs to survive and witnessing Nazi soldiers execute people in the streets and herd Jews on to railroad cars. Despite malnutrition and depression, she became a volunteer nurse and eventually worked for the Dutch Underground. She was an inspiring figure many years before becoming an ambassador for UNICEF.

Patricia Neal, who suffered three strokes in 1965, two years after winning an Oscar, is also inspiring. She became semi-paralysed, her speech was affected, and it was assumed that her career was over. Instead, she fought back, making another film four years later. "Patricia Neal is not only one of the best actresses of the modern cinema," wrote critic Ken Wlaschin, "but also one of the most courageous."

Unlike Neal, Reeve was never cured of his paralysis, though he did return to occasional acting roles. It was his personal courage and determination to live the best life he could that made him so inspiring.

"He was the most impressive person I have ever met," wrote NSW Premier Bob Carr within a day of Reeve's death. "He exercised remorselessly, keeping alive the possibility, the hope, that he would walk again. A superhero in popular art, he became in the real world a superhero of medical advance."

For the past century, the cinema has given us scores of heroes, brought to life by scores of popular stars. Occasionally, as Reeve so tirelessly reminded us, their heroism was not limited to the screen.

Check for new replies or respond here...