inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Legendary BBC DJ John Peel has passed away. :(

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 10/26/04 at 9:29 pm

I heard about this earlier today on the Ultravox forum. John Peel, who jumpstarted the careers of many bands since the 60's passed away of a heart attack. Some may be familiar with the name because of the many "Peel Sessions" albums of many, many different bands that have been released. A great loss to pop culture. He will be missed. :\'(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3955289.stm

Absolutely Vile

Subject: Re: Legendary BBC DJ John Peel has passed away. :(

Written By: Powerslave on 10/26/04 at 9:39 pm

I heard about this yesterday. He did more for the British musical underground than just about anyone. RIP.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/26/04 at 10:48 pm

:\'(

Written By: Alice on 10/27/04 at 4:13 am

I AM LOST FOR WORDS!

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: philbo on 10/27/04 at 7:00 am

Of all the existing Radio 1 DJs, John Peel is (was :() the only one I listen to; with his Radio 4 "Home Truths" series, he managed to present a remarkable collection of stories in an even more remarkably unjudgemental way.  I am sorry to see him go - more than anybody else I can think of at the moment, it was like having an old friend talking to you.

Two of the most recognizable voices on radio gone in such a short space of time...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/27/04 at 1:51 pm

:\'( :\'( :\'(

I heard yesterday.  Any band that had a "Peel Sessions" in their discography had the imprimatur of coolness.  The passing of John Peel is also the passing of an era, a great milestone in pop music.

Written By: philbo on 10/27/04 at 6:07 pm

Seeing as nobody else has, can I point out one tribute parody to hit amiright today:

RIP John Peel

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 10/27/04 at 6:14 pm

Seeing as nobody else has, can I point out one tribute parody to hit amiright today:

RIP John Peel

I liked that! Very nice...:)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Howard on 10/27/04 at 7:52 pm

I've never even heard of John Peel.Who was he? ???

Howard

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 10/27/04 at 7:55 pm

I've never even heard of John Peel.Who was he? ???

Howard

Read the link I gave, Howard...

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Bobby on 10/29/04 at 7:47 pm

Yes, I was very shocked when I heard the news. John Peel, for me, had a great sense of humour. Someone remarked that Peel loved the song 'Sinful' by Mark Wylie so much that he said on Top of the Pops 'If you don't buy this record, I will come to your house and break wind in your kitchen'.

Rest in peace, John.  :)

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 10/29/04 at 11:15 pm

Yes, I was very shocked when I heard the news. John Peel, for me, had a great sense of humour. Someone remarked that Peel loved the song 'Sinful' by Mark Wylie so much that he said on Top of the Pops 'If you don't buy this record, I will come to your house and break wind in your kitchen'.

Rest in peace, John.  :)

Actually, "Sinful" was done by Pete Wylie who was the singer for a group called "Wah!" or "The Mighty Wah!".  I just had a listen to that song and let me just say that...John Peel knew talent when he heard it. I don't think there'll be another quite like him.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Bobby on 10/30/04 at 5:44 am

Actually, "Sinful" was done by Pete Wylie who was the singer for a group called "Wah!" or "The Mighty Wah!".  I just had a listen to that song and let me just say that...John Peel knew talent when he heard it. I don't think there'll be another quite like him.

Oops. That's it. Pete Wylie.  :)

Written By: Berg Katse on 11/05/04 at 10:32 am

A bit late to this thread, but what the hell....

Through Sir John (of) Peel i found the greatest music in the world.... he introduced me to the likes of 'Half Man Half Biscuit', 'The Fall' and the mighty 'Man... Or Astroman?' - and just when I thought Napalm Death were the heaviest thing I'd heard, old Peely played Extreme Noise Terror... and I haven't even got started on the hard-house techno...

It's difficult to explain to those outside of the UK just how important a man John Peel was to the world of music.

I cannot emphasise enough how important John Peel was in allowing marginalised bands to be heard amongst the monotony of the mainstream airwaves. (Plenty of 'obscure' bands became popular names with the help of his airplay)

RIP John Peel, you've left a great void for music fans everywhere. Let's hope that the mantle is carried on for new bands the world over.

http://www,bbc.co.uk/radio1/alt/johnpeel/

Written By: Gis on 11/05/04 at 10:54 am

The man resposible for playing my favourite song ever,Teenage Kicks by The Undertones twice in one show purely because he liked it so much! I loved his show Home Truths too.He'll be sorely missed.

Check for new replies or respond here...