inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Arthur Miller Dies at 89.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/11/05 at 11:11 am

Updated: 11:47 AM EST
'Death of a Salesman' Playwright Arthur Miller Dies
The Pulitzer Prize-Winning Author Wrote 'Salesman' in Just Six Weeks

An Iconic Playwright Dies

ROXBURY, Conn. (Feb. 11) - Arthur Miller, the Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright whose most famous fictional creation, Willy Loman in ''Death of a Salesman,'' came to symbolize the American Dream gone awry, has died. He was 89.

the literary world has lost one of the best.  If he had stopped at Death of a Salesman he still would have done more
than his share.  Rest in Peace

Subject: Re: Arthur Miller Dies at 89.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/05 at 11:20 am

What? No mention that he was once married to Marilyn Monroe? I think the Crucible was a heavier than Death of a Salesman. It is too bad. He will be missed.  :\'( :\'( :\'(  R.I.P.

Cat

Written By: Alchoholica on 02/11/05 at 1:26 pm

The Crucible was one of the few pieces of Literature (by Literature i mean a classic) i really enjoyed.

I loved the way it dealt with the issues at the time (i.e McCarthy, The Red Scare etc)

Death of a Salesman was also an interesting book but i think Miller's personal life is just as interesting read as any of his books.

One of the great writers of the century.

Death seems to be prevelant at the moment.

Written By: McDonald on 02/11/05 at 1:59 pm

That is such a shame. But I guess we all have to die sometime. Can't live forever. At least he'll be remembered forever in his works. Five years into the twenty-first century and it seems like one of its icons dies right after another, taking a piece of that century with them. We'll be seeing a lot of this for many years to come.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/11/05 at 2:05 pm

Best of luck in the afterlife, Mr. Miller.  You were indeed "well liked."
:\'(

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/11/05 at 6:15 pm

"The Crucible" and "Death of a Salesman" were his most popular plays. But there was also "All My Sons" and "Resurrection Blues". He is probably most remember by the younger generations as Marilyn's first husband.

Written By: Lazy Jessica on 02/11/05 at 11:01 pm

He is probably most remember by the younger generations as Marilyn's first husband.

Third husband. She was first married to Jim Dougherty, then to Joe DiMaggio, then to Arthur Miller.

That was courtesty of Alicia, queen of the Marilyn Monroe knowledge. ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/12/05 at 6:39 am

Third husband. She was first married to Jim Dougherty, then to Joe DiMaggio, then to Arthur Miller.

That was courtesty of Alicia, queen of the Marilyn Monroe knowledge. ;D

I wonder if Marilyn is friendly with her ex-husbands in the afterlife? ???

Written By: danootaandme on 02/12/05 at 7:48 am

I wonder if Marilyn is friendly with her ex-husbands in the afterlife? ???

Hope not. Joe liked to smack her around and Miller was emotionally distant.  If there is a
heaven she hopefully found some peace, and a lot more fun.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 02/12/05 at 9:02 am

What? No mention that he was once married to Marilyn Monroe?

I'm thinking of that Dan Bern song Marilyn:

"This is not a knock against Arthur Miller
Death of a Salesman is my favorite play
But Marilyn Monroe
Should have married Henry Miller"

http://www.danbern.com/danbernlyrics.html#marilyn

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/12/05 at 10:40 pm

I am saddened to hear this. I had the pleasure of portraying John Proctor in a school production of The Crucible and we will be going to see the play in Houston this month.

Also, Death of a Salesmen is my favorite all-time play. Coming from a line of salesmen, it strikes a personal chord.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/12/05 at 11:30 pm

I am saddened to hear this. I had the pleasure of portraying John Proctor in a school production of The Crucible and we will be going to see the play in Houston this month.

Also, Death of a Salesmen is my favorite all-time play. Coming from a line of salesmen, it strikes a personal chord.

They will be done.  The Dude abides.
:)

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/13/05 at 6:25 am

I more identify with Happy Loman than Willy.  ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/13/05 at 9:18 am

:\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...