inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most tragic rock death?

Written By: Robbo on 03/18/05 at 6:44 pm

Live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse: it's the rock'n'roll way!

Over the years there was been countless tragic rock deaths. Some were shot, some commited suicide, most had a drug overdose. Which was the most tragic rock death of all?

Subject: Re: Most tragic rock death?

Written By: jaytee on 03/18/05 at 6:49 pm

When you look at that list - it's very very sad. :\'(  However, I voted Michael Hutchance because of all the speculation and controversy surrounding his death.  I really felt for his parents.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/18/05 at 6:51 pm

Buddy Holly (Airplane crash)

Written By: Robbo on 03/18/05 at 6:55 pm

Buddy Holly (Airplane crash)

Yeah. That was another tragic rock death. There was even a song written for it, "American Pie" by Don McLean.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/18/05 at 7:13 pm

Yeah. That was another tragic rock death. There was even a song written for it, "American Pie" by Don McLean.

J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson and Ritchie Valens also died in that plane crash too. Check out The Buddy Holly Story with Gary Busey playing Buddy Holly or La Bamba with Lou Diamond Phillips playing Ritchie Valens.

They are both good movies.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/18/05 at 8:02 pm

Other

Randy Rhodes - plane crash

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/18/05 at 8:49 pm

Other:

IAN CURTIS
Lead singer/songwrtier for Joy Division
1956-1980

He hadn't even reached his 24th birthday and was on the brink of international stardom (which he got posthumously).

His marriage was crumbling and his epilepsy was worsening, and his depression was untreated.  He hanged himself in his Mecclesfield apartment on May 10, 1980

I've lived through ever Joy Division song at least once.

The song 'She's Lost Control" is about epilepsy, which neither I nor anyone I know has, however, my ex-girlfriend used to lose control psychiatrically speaking and her pathology was much like the song's lyrics.
IIRC, the girl referred to in the song was a girl who Ian Curtis knew from his epilepsy treatment clinic.  He observed her condition getting worse and worse, until he eventually stopped seeing her at all!
:o

Written By: Miss Tainted on 03/18/05 at 9:11 pm

I'd say Kurt Cobain. A couple years ago I was really reading into his death and all that night the only thing I could do was cry. He was such a great artist too.  :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/18/05 at 9:22 pm

What about Brian Jones (drowning) ? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/18/05 at 10:35 pm

What about Brian Jones (drowning) ? ???

What about Stu Sutcliffe getting his head kicked into the curb??
:P

Written By: Allie Fox on 03/18/05 at 10:42 pm

Definitely the "Day the Music Died."

:\'(

Written By: MysticLady on 03/18/05 at 10:46 pm

Other.

Marc Bolan.

Died in a car crash in Sept. 77 at the age of 29. Its tragic because he left behind his 2 year old son. Bolan he had only recently gave up drugs, booze, and wild sex to raise his son with his common law wife, Gloria, who survived the accident, she was driving....the man turned his life around so he could be there for his kid and was killed in a car crash. That is tragic.

Written By: jackas on 03/18/05 at 11:02 pm

Other

Layne Stanley from Alice In Chains

Written By: AchtungBaby on 03/19/05 at 12:51 am

Other:

IAN CURTIS
Lead singer/songwrtier for Joy Division
1956-1980

He hadn't even reached his 24th birthday and was on the brink of international stardom (which he got posthumously).

His marriage was crumbling and his epilepsy was worsening, and his depression was untreated.  He hanged himself in his Mecclesfield apartment on May 10, 1980

I've lived through ever Joy Division song at least once.

The song 'She's Lost Control" is about epilepsy, which neither I nor anyone I know has, however, my ex-girlfriend used to lose control psychiatrically speaking and her pathology was much like the song's lyrics.
IIRC, the girl referred to in the song was a girl who Ian Curtis knew from his epilepsy treatment clinic.  He observed her condition getting worse and worse, until he eventually stopped seeing her at all!
:o

Thanks for the information - I was not aware of that - and he died so young.

I voted for Keith Moon - I loved his drumming when I was a kid and I remember when I heard he died.  There is was alot of speculation to his death too.

Others:

John Bonham - Led Zeppelin - choked on vomit
Ty Longley - Great White - Fire
DimeBag Darrell - formerly of PANTERA - Shot to death while performing

I

Written By: danootaandme on 03/19/05 at 6:11 am

NFNA-(no females need apply)?  Janis Joplin, Cass Elliot, Laura Nyro.  I would say that of all those listed Cass Elliot was the most tragic.  She had a heart attack.  Not drugs or suicide, a congenital problem that caused her to be overweight and her heart gave out just as she was hitting her stride.  Joplin is the one I miss the most though.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/19/05 at 6:27 am

What about Stu Sutcliffe getting his head kicked into the curb??

Or Ian Stewart the square-jawed "Fifth Rolling Stone" who was an original member of the Stones and played keyboards for them, as well as their road manager.  He later was bumped out of the original lineup because he was "too square looking" but nevertheless played keyboards in the background.  He's also the subject of Led Zepplin's "Boogie with Stu".

Stu died too young at 45 years old of a heart attack.

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/19/05 at 6:29 am

Cliff Burton, beyond a shadow of a doubt. Killed when the tour bus went over the side of a mountain.

He and Kirk Hammett had switched bunks only a couple hours before.

He was crushed and killed almost instantly.

He was only 24 when he was killed.

He was renowned as being a genuinley nice guy, his sister said, not long after his death, that even though he would never get home until 4-5 AM if people came to the house and wanted to see him, he would get up and talk to them about Music.

He was one of the best Bass Players ever, to think how much he could have accomplished.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/19/05 at 6:30 am

NFNA-(no females need apply)?  Janis Joplin, Cass Elliot, Laura Nyro.  I would say that of all those listed Cass Elliot was the most tragic.  She had a heart attack.  Not drugs or suicide, a congenital problem that caused her to be overweight and her heart gave out just as she was hitting her stride.  Joplin is the one I miss the most though.

The "no drugs" part is up for debate.  Cass was a heavy user of H and other drugs, which well could have weakened her heart beyond what her overweight situation had already done.

The loss of Cass was indeed tragic.  :\'(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/19/05 at 12:00 pm

Ronnie Van Zant and the other members of the ORIGINAL Lynyrd Skynyrd that died in a plane crash in 1977...

Robert Palmer's death from a heart attack took me by surprise...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/19/05 at 12:22 pm

I think ALL deaths are tragic equally....though I believe "karma" got Sid Viscious for murdering his girlfriend. Michael Hutchence may not have committed suices, I heard it could've been accindental...some kind of kinky sex thing gone wrong :-\\ I would also add Tommy Bolin who died in 1976 from an overdose....AND.... Late Alice In Chains frontman, Layne Staley, 34, who was not found for 2 weeks, dead from a heroine overdose in his apartment :\'(

http://www.laut.de/bilder/imperia/md/images/pressefoto/a/aliceinchains/3_150x212.jpg

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/19/05 at 1:24 pm

Thing about it is this, although it is awful when anybody dies, if any old average Joe died of an overdose, would we care?

Not unless we knew them, 'serves them right' would probably be said by some 'oh well' by others.

That's why i find Burtons death awful. Although he did use drugs somewhat (mainly Acid) Nobody could have seen it coming and there was nothing that could be done to stop it.

Now, if Layne Stanley is shooting up, well it's bound to happen one day or another.

Written By: jackas on 03/19/05 at 3:57 pm

Thing about it is this, although it is awful when anybody dies, if any old average Joe died of an overdose, would we care?

Not unless we knew them, 'serves them right' would probably be said by some 'oh well' by others.

That's why i find Burtons death awful. Although he did use drugs somewhat (mainly Acid) Nobody could have seen it coming and there was nothing that could be done to stop it.

Now, if Layne Stanley is shooting up, well it's bound to happen one day or another.

I agree with you about the guys that OD.  First of all I have no sympathy for someone who commits suicide, I say F' em.  And for the guys that OD or drown in their own vomit, well that is their fault too. 

I just picked Layne Stanley because to me he was the biggest lost.  I don't think it is tragic though.

Written By: Miss Tainted on 03/19/05 at 4:34 pm

Layne Staley was indeed a great loss for the music world and I have to say that the death of Hideto "Hide" Matsumoto was a tragic one also.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/Taintedchild/grave.png  :\'(

Written By: Powerslave on 03/19/05 at 6:46 pm

It's a bit hard to say what the most tragic was, because they're all tragic really, especially the ones who went really young, or just as their career was really taking off, like Bon Scott or Randy Rhodes. Dimebag from Pantera was pretty tragic. He was shot on stage in front of his brother.

It still hurts.  :\'(

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/19/05 at 9:29 pm

Janis Joplin (Drug Overdose)
Karen Carpenter (Anorexia)
Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines of Skynyrd (Plane crash)
Duane Allman (Accident)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/19/05 at 10:21 pm

It's a bit hard to say what the most tragic was, because they're all tragic really, especially the ones who went really young, or just as their career was really taking off, like Bon Scott or Randy Rhodes. Dimebag from Pantera was pretty tragic. He was shot on stage in front of his brother.

It still hurts.  :\'(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/19/05 at 10:33 pm

My foster mother could not fathom why Randy Rhoads' death upset me "aww he's just one of those rock n' roll losers'....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/19/05 at 11:16 pm

I think ALL deaths are tragic equally....though I believe "karma" got Sid Viscious for murdering his girlfriend. Michael Hutchence may not have committed suices, I heard it could've been accindental...some kind of kinky sex thing gone wrong :-\\ I would also add Tommy Bolin who died in 1976 from an overdose....AND.... Late Alice In Chains frontman, Layne Staley, 34, who was not found for 2 weeks, dead from a heroine overdose in his apartment :\'(

http://www.laut.de/bilder/imperia/md/images/pressefoto/a/aliceinchains/3_150x212.jpg

Michael Hutchence is alleged to be autoerotic asphyxiation, a game he and the boys were playing.
Anyway, the Farris brothers were the talent (what of it there was) in INXS. Hutch was just a good-looking hunk who could sing.  Sorta like David Gahan.

I think Janis Joplin's death was right up their among great losses for both rock AND blues.  I would include Bob Marley's premature death of cancer at 45 as tragic for both reggae and rock.

One of the most tragic rock'n'roll deaths is Ted Nugent.  The tragedy is that it didn't happen!
::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/05 at 1:05 am

Johnny Ramone-cancer

I say this because they meant so much to me...so even though it wasn't due to an act of violence or anything like that....to me it was very tragic! :\'(

Erin

Written By: Gis on 03/20/05 at 3:56 am

I agree with you about the guys that OD.  First of all I have no sympathy for someone who commits suicide, I say F' em. 
Now that is WAY too harsh, people don't just commit suicide for the hell of it you know.You are obviously very, very lucky to have never felt that desperate and lets hope you never do.

Written By: Gis on 03/20/05 at 3:58 am

I would add Eddie Cochran who was only 21 when he died and an incredible talent, just think of the songs he left behind and how they are still covered today.

Written By: jackas on 03/20/05 at 12:35 pm

Now that is WAY too harsh, people don't just commit suicide for the hell of it you know.You are obviously very, very lucky to have never felt that desperate and lets hope you never do.

Written By: Powerslave on 03/20/05 at 9:22 pm

Michael Hutchence is alleged to be autoerotic asphyxiation, a game he and the boys were playing.
Anyway, the Farris brothers were the talent (what of it there was) in INXS. Hutch was just a good-looking hunk who could sing. 

"he and the boys"? What does that mean? Anyway, in response to this, almost every one of INXS' songs were co-written by Andrew Farriss and Michael Hutchence: Farriss wrote the music and Hutchence the lyrics and melody.

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/20/05 at 11:03 pm

Laura Nyro also died tragically, from breast cancer, I believe. As did Eva Cassidy.

Written By: jaytee on 03/21/05 at 6:58 am

I agree with you about the guys that OD.  First of all I have no sympathy for someone who commits suicide, I say F' em.  And for the guys that OD or drown in their own vomit, well that is their fault too. 

What an awful thing to say  :(

Written By: Paul on 03/21/05 at 7:34 am

Just for the sheer outbreak of emotion it caused...John Lennon

Another tragic one was Jim Croce, who was just on the brink of superstardom when his plane crashed...

He did eventually acheive superstardom, but for the wrong reason...

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/21/05 at 11:02 am

What an awful thing to say  :(

Why? If some Heroine taking Schumk OD'd and died... would any of us really care (unless they were a friend of something).. would we just say.. 'We'll had it coming to then' Why treat a musician any different? A plumber may be a Skag junkie and OD, but he could have been the best damn Plumber for miles around..

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/21/05 at 11:54 am

"he and the boys"? What does that mean? Anyway, in response to this, almost every one of INXS' songs were co-written by Andrew Farriss and Michael Hutchence: Farriss wrote the music and Hutchence the lyrics and melody.
It must mean Max thinks little of Michael ::) I think Michael was a brilliant showman and singer, the group INXS was a very tight and talent laden band. Hutchence was the showman WITH a great voice...unlike the likes of another "Entertainer" David Lee Roth :D

Written By: jaytee on 03/21/05 at 4:29 pm

Why? If some Heroine taking Schumk OD'd and died... would any of us really care (unless they were a friend of something).. would we just say.. 'We'll had it coming to then' Why treat a musician any different? A plumber may be a Skag junkie and OD, but he could have been the best darn Plumber for miles around..

I feel the same way about anyone who takes their own life.  If you've never suffered from depression, you really have no idea what the pain is like. :(

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/21/05 at 4:40 pm

I feel the same way about anyone who takes their own life.  If you've never suffered from depression, you really have no idea what the pain is like. :(

Ah, now that's a different ballpark. People who OD i can't really have any sympathy for, however somebody that intentionally kills themself... well, there is obviously something wrong.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/21/05 at 4:53 pm

Ah, now that's a different ballpark. People who OD i can't really have any sympathy for, however somebody that intentionally kills themself... well, there is obviously something wrong.
Is it not possible to "Intentially" OD though ??? Also, alcoholics are committing a "slow" form of suicide :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/21/05 at 5:38 pm

It must mean Max thinks little of Michael ::) I think Michael was a brilliant showman and singer, the group INXS was a very tight and talent laden band. Hutchence was the showman WITH a great voice...unlike the likes of another "Entertainer" David Lee Roth :D

I stand corrected about INXS, I don't know jack about the band.  INXS was a let-down to me.  When I first heard them in the early '80s (especially "The One Thing" and "Don't Change) I thought they were going to be a cool Aussie new wave band.  Then they start churning out songs like "I Need You Tonight" and "Suicide Blonde."  These were objectively as good as the songs on "Shaboo Shoobah" (or whatever that record was called), but I grew to hate the band's style musically and image-wise.  R'n'R fan hit the nail on the head with the David Lee Roth comparison.  I'm just not much for body shakin' male braggadocio.
Oh, and you know what I mean by "he and the boys."  I just thought it was painfully ironic for the big popstar hunk who went around with a fashion model on each arm to die indulging his homoerotic peccadillos!

Written By: limblifter on 03/21/05 at 5:53 pm

I just thought it was painfully ironic for the big popstar hunk who went around with a fashion model on each arm to die indulging his homoerotic peccadillos!

There's a difference between autoerotic, and homoerotic ;)

The most tragic deaths for me were Layne Staley and Chuck Schuldiner (Cancer).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/21/05 at 6:02 pm

If it's an "auto" thing in a hotel room with a bunch of other guys, it's both!

Welcome Limblifter!
:)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/21/05 at 6:14 pm

The most tragic deaths for me were Layne Staley and Chuck Schuldiner (Cancer).
Welcome to the boards, limblifter :) It was especially sad that Layne died alone and nobody found his body until two weeks later :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/21/05 at 6:20 pm

Why? If some Heroine taking Schumk OD'd and died... would any of us really care (unless they were a friend of something).. would we just say.. 'We'll had it coming to then' Why treat a musician any different? A plumber may be a Skag junkie and OD, but he could have been the best darn Plumber for miles around..

I think you mean "heroin," without the "e" at the end.
  8)

Didn't anybody mention Joe Strummer?
I associate "tragic rock 'n' roll death with a great rock musician approaching or at the zenith of his or her career.  Strummer's number was retired along with the rest of The Clash.  However, he might have had his best years ahead of him, musically speaking.  He was a very creative artist with an interest in musical styles from around the world.  He wasn't interested in trying to rehash the sound that brought him his initial fame.  If Strummer got 30 more years, who knows what he might have come up with.

A lesser-known artist died a couple of years ago.  Frank Tovey (aka Fad Gadget) was the second artist to release a single on Daniel Miller's Mute Records, the first being Miller himself as The Normal.
Fad Gadget was a blend of weird, funky synth music, pop, and performance art.  Depeche Mode opened for Fad and his band many times in 1980-81. 
Fad Gadget reverted to his real name, Frank Tovey, in 1985.  He never had much success in the U.S., although the song "Luxury" got some airplay in 1986. 
Tovey taught himself acoustic guitar and overhauled his sound from synth-pop to folk-rock.  He put out an album of labor ballads (covers and traditionals) in 1989 called "Tyranny and the Hired Hand."  Although he was self-taught his arrangements were more than competent, actually, they were superb.
He released a couple of great folk-rock albums with a few Irish musicians as Frank Tovey and the Pyros.  These contained some of his best songs.
Unfortunately, this venture was a commercial flop.  He had to go make a living, pay the mortgage, put the kids throught school and whatnot, so in 1993 he disappeared from the scene and did a lot of commissioned work.
Tovey resurrected the Fad Gadget moniker in 2001 for a few limited engagements with Depeche Mode.  He planned to do a full tour and put out a new Fad Gadget album when (like Strummer) he died of sudden heart attack at the age of 45.
I so much wanted to hear from Frank Tovey again, but it was not to be.

Written By: Feiticeira on 03/21/05 at 6:32 pm

Ok so I'd have to go with other on this one.  Simply because most of the deaths listed were self inflicted.  I've got no time for people who want to mess with drugs and these people knew there were foreseeable risks.  Also the same for people with weird fetishes like asphyxiation.

Mine would have to be Eva Cassidy (cancer)

As for the Marc Bolan death, strangely enough it was the tree outside my grandad's house that killed him.

Written By: jackas on 03/21/05 at 10:07 pm

The main reason that I have no sympathy for those who commit suicide is because of the pain they leave their family and friends with.  They finally get to have peace and now their family is torn apart and brokenhearted.  It's so sad. They are left with the pain of wondering, why did they do it, why didn't they come talk to me, if I could have talked to him/her one more time, etc........  It is so unfair to do that to those who you love and who love you.  I understand at the time they commit the act, that is probably the last thing on their minds, but I know a few families that had a son who killed himself and I just feel so bad for the ones left behind.

Written By: Trimac21 on 03/22/05 at 12:38 am

Yeah I too would have liked to see Joe Strummer from the Clash alive today, Freddie Mercury's death from AIDS was also a real tragedy. A lesser known talent was Elliott Smith, one of the best singer-songwriters of the new-decade his death is so fascinating because it is (like many) full of mystery. Murder or suicide? Does he give us any clues in his songs?

Written By: jackas on 03/22/05 at 9:57 am

Yeah I too would have liked to see Joe Strummer from the Clash alive today, Freddie Mercury's death from AIDS was also a real tragedy. A lesser known talent was Elliott Smith, one of the best singer-songwriters of the new-decade his death is so fascinating because it is (like many) full of mystery. Murder or suicide? Does he give us any clues in his songs?

You're right, I forgot about Freddie Mercury. 

Also, Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Written By: mr.smith s on 03/22/05 at 4:28 pm

I'd Say that Sid and nancy deal would be one of the most tragic ones.

But in terms of tragic, i think assassination and then accident are far more tragic than most other deaths.  Becuase there is no control over what happened.  (John Lennon, and defeinitely Dimebag Darrell.)

I think another good question or poll would be what type of death idolizes the person the most. Suicide, murder, accident. ect.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/22/05 at 11:28 pm

Sid Vicious' entire life was a tragedy (or perhaps not, maybe he wanted it that way). You just knew (most of his friends did) from the time he was young he would live life wild and quickly burn out.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/23/05 at 2:40 pm

Sid Vicious' entire life was a tragedy (or perhaps not, maybe he wanted it that way). You just knew (most of his friends did) from the time he was young he would live life wild and quickly burn out.
I have no sympathey for a murderer (He "Allegedly" murdered his girlfriend) :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/23/05 at 7:00 pm

Lest we forget Melvin Franklin, who had that awesome bass voice as part of The Temptations.  :)

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 03/23/05 at 10:14 pm

John Lennon & Freddie Mercury...God rest their souls

Written By: Doris Day on 03/25/05 at 12:33 am

http://www.firsttvdrama.com/illinois/rock1.jpg

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/25/05 at 12:47 pm

Not to mention David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks of that same group. Ruffin died of an overdose of cocaine in 1991, and Kendricks succumbed of lung cancer a few months later. :\'( :\'(

Lest we forget Melvin Franklin, who had that awesome bass voice as part of The Temptations.  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/25/05 at 1:13 pm

Not to mention David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks of that same group. Ruffin died of an overdose of cocaine in 1991, and Kendricks succumbed of lung cancer a few months later. :\'( :\'(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/25/05 at 7:46 pm

Warren Zevon's death from lung cancer was really sad...

Mick Ronson's death from liver cancer was also sad,ditto Steve Clark's(Def Leppard)death from addictions issues...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/25/05 at 7:48 pm

I can't believe I forgot about these two guys from the group "Badfinger"....Pete Ham committed suicide in 1975 and Tom Evans did the same in 1983....Badfinger had some great songs....and they also wrote and sang "Without You" then gave it to Harry Nilsson who took it to #1 in 1972....and Pariah Carey ruined it in the 90's :\'(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/25/05 at 9:20 pm

Bon Scott was one bada** front man with Angus Young and the guys...but Brian Johnson ain't too shabby either...

Rest in Peace Bon,you will always be cool IMO!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/25/05 at 9:22 pm

I said 'Other'...Jim Croce

Here's a man who was just starting to get the recognition he deserved, then he dies at the age of 30 in a plane crash.  Breaks my heart!  :\'(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/25/05 at 9:42 pm

Bon Scott was one bada** front man with Angus Young and the guys...but Brian Johnson ain't too shabby either...

Rest in Peace Bon,you will always be cool IMO!
Sure enough :\'(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/25/05 at 9:43 pm

I said 'Other'...Jim Croce

Here's a man who was just starting to get the recognition he deserved, then he dies at the age of 30 in a plane crash.  Breaks my heart!  :\'(
I remember all too well :\'( Hey Karen, you also like Badfinger, don't you ???

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/25/05 at 10:35 pm

I remember all too well :\'( Hey Karen, you also like Badfinger, don't you ???

I know a few of their songs, and they are quite good.  Why do you ask?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/26/05 at 12:10 am

I know a few of their songs, and they are quite good.  Why do you ask?
Having the great taste in music that you have....I just wondered if you were familiar with thier story :-\\

Written By: Jennifer028 on 03/26/05 at 2:17 pm

Elvis :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/26/05 at 8:33 pm

Here are some notable rock 'n' roll deaths for you lovers of punk and kitsch!

Klaus Nomi
http://www.roctober.com/roctober/greatness/nomi.html
1983 AIDS

Stiv Bators
http://www.stivbators.com/
1990 Injuries resulting from being hit by a car

Wendy O. Williams
http://www.plasmatics.com/
1998 Suicide

Johnny Thunders
http://www.thunders.ca/
1991 Cause undetermined. 

Darby Crash
http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/music/artist/bio/0,,418377,00.html#bio
1980 Heroin overdose

The Ramones--
http://www.ramones.com/
Joey Ramone
2001 Lymph cancer
Dee Dee Ramone
2002 Overdose
Johnny Ramone
2004 Prostate Cancer

Divine
1987 Complications from obesity
http://www.dreamlandnews.com/divine/
(OK, he wasn't primarily a musician, but he cut a few records.  I used to have the 7" "I Was Born to be Cheap, I Was Born to be Shallow b/w The Name Game"
:D

Peter Ivers
1983 Homicide
(Host of "New Wave Theater" and "Night Flight," he released several records of his own)
http://www.rockinboston.com/peterivers.html

D. Boon
1985 Auto accident
http://www.who2.com/dboon.html

Mary Hansen
2002 Traffic accident
http://www.stereolab.co.uk/

Dwayne Goettel
1995 Heroin overdose
http://www.skinnypuppy.com/

John Balance
2004 Injuries sustained from a fall
http://www.thresholdhouse.com/index2.html

Written By: KRQPMV21JS on 03/26/05 at 11:32 pm

Freddie Mercury

Written By: jiminy on 03/26/05 at 11:42 pm

Thomas "QUORTHON" Forsberg of BATHORY
http://www.blackmetal.com/quorthon.html

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/27/05 at 3:23 pm

Marvin Gaye.....didn't his dad KNOW HOW TO USE THE PHONE TO GET THE COPS?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/27/05 at 3:26 pm

Marvin Gaye.....didn't his dad KNOW HOW TO USE THE PHONE TO GET THE COPS?
I don't know about that but I DO know that he must've gotten some expert advice from johnny cochran...because he's been out of jail for quite a while now >:(

Written By: chaka on 05/11/05 at 1:14 pm

Other:Andrew Wood (Mother Love Bone):OD

Written By: woops on 05/11/05 at 5:02 pm

Any loss of anyboady is tragic  :\'(

The Ramones (Though I think 1 is still around  :))

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/15/05 at 1:04 pm

Duane Allman and Berry Oakley....

and add

Ronnie Van Zant(Lynyrd Skynyrd)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/15/05 at 1:06 pm

Thin Lizzy's Phil Lynott...

Written By: Mergal on 05/16/05 at 5:52 am

I picked John Lennon. He was just starting to really feel good about himself and seemed to have turn his life around for the better, but then he gets shot! And that song "Just Like Starting Over" was released just before his death.  :(

Written By: Stompgal on 05/16/05 at 6:29 am

I voted Kurt Cobain. He was only 27 when he shot himself in the mouth and died.

Written By: cagesundercage on 05/16/05 at 5:45 pm

no one has mentioned nick drake? what a shame...

www.nickdrake.com

Written By: Ansky1213 on 05/16/05 at 6:04 pm

Duane Allman, Brian Jones and John Lennon would get my votes.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/17/05 at 6:49 pm

Buddy Holly,The Big Bopper(JP Richardson)and Richie Valens..plane crash
Marvin Gaye..shot in altercation with his father
Robert Palmer...heart attack

Written By: whistledog on 11/02/05 at 2:08 am

other: Del Shannon

He shot himself in the head with a .22 calibre rifle on February 8, 1990  :\'(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/02/05 at 5:27 am

George Harrison, died of cancer. RIP.

Written By: lastofthefamous on 11/02/05 at 10:12 am

joe strummer ( heart attack) i know the way of death is normal but i cried for 3 days bcuz i love the clash, and the mescaleros.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 11/02/05 at 4:22 pm

John Lennon was shocking the rock and roll death is Terry Kath From Chicagp he actdently shoo himself with playng with gun and his bandmates told him not to play with is and he said "don't worry is not loaded" he was wrong there was one bullet he pul;led the trigger and shot himself (not sucideal*sp) and he was gone

Written By: Bobby on 11/04/05 at 6:25 am

From that lot, I would say John Lennon probably had the most to give before his death IMO.

Other.

Marc Bolan.

Died in a car crash in Sept. 77 at the age of 29. Its tragic because he left behind his 2 year old son. Bolan he had only recently gave up drugs, booze, and wild sex to raise his son with his common law wife, Gloria, who survived the accident, she was driving....the man turned his life around so he could be there for his kid and was killed in a car crash. That is tragic.

However, this really is the tragic loss (lead singer from the 70s glam rock band T-Rex). I reckon Marc Bolan could have made more hit records.

Written By: cables on 11/04/05 at 2:30 pm

As a fan of The Who I had to go for Keith Moon.

Although he's put down as drug overdose, it's worth pointing out that he was prescribed a drug to help him to combat alcoholism. The drug was experimental and has subsequently been withdrawn. His overdose was almost certainly an accident.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/04/05 at 5:53 pm

John Bonham..along with Keith Moon...two of the best drummers in rock.

Written By: lastofthefamous on 11/16/05 at 1:05 pm

I think you mean "heroin," without the "e" at the end.
  8)

Didn't anybody mention Joe Strummer?
I associate "tragic rock 'n' roll death with a great rock musician approaching or at the zenith of his or her career.

Written By: Share on 11/16/05 at 1:13 pm

Sunny Buono is tragic because he left music to be a pubic servant and ended up dying tragically.

Written By: spaceace on 03/15/07 at 12:41 pm

Tommy Boyce (From Boyce and Hart, also wrote song for the Monkees)  Died of self inflicted gun shot wounds.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/15/07 at 12:51 pm

John Lennon  :\'(

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/15/07 at 1:05 pm

John Lennon.....because I think a lot of those deaths could have been prevented.  Lennon got killed by some wackaloon.

Written By: whistledog on 03/15/07 at 1:14 pm

How about Stuart Adamson of The Skids/Big Country.  He hung himself I believe

I love Big Country and everything they did

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/17/07 at 8:48 am

Thin Lizzy's Phil Lynott...

Damn straight.  Phil was one of a kind.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/17/07 at 1:35 pm

John Lennon  :\'(

I'd go with Lennon too!

I would also mention Ian Curtis of Joy Division, but it was Curtis' suicide that immortalized his songs and made him a legend.

Any Brad Delf fans?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/07 at 2:02 pm

Personally speaking th amost tragic rock death is Keith Moon for I saw him at a charity film screening the day before he died.

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/17/07 at 2:16 pm

Del Shannon, because he was in his twilight years and he still shot himself. That was particularly sad.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/17/07 at 5:07 pm

Personally speaking th amost tragic rock death is Keith Moon for I saw him at a charity film screening the day before he died.

I saw Roy Orbison at a great show a couple of days before he died.  He looked sick.  I was with a friend and previously we had been to see a zydeco band with Clifton Chenier.  He died directily after that gig.  We had talked about going to see Eric Clapton, but decided that we liked him too much and didn't want to be the cause of his demise.  We haven't been to a concert together since.   ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/18/07 at 7:22 am

Del Shannon, because he was in his twilight years and he still shot himself. That was particularly sad.

If I recall correctly, Del killed himself because he was upset that he was no longer a star.

I know this may sound callous, but I have no sympathy for people who have been at the top of the world and then grouse because they are simply "former stars".  Comes across to me as completely ungrateful for the great fortune that they came upon, and disrespectful of the rest of us schlubs who live "normal lives" every day.

Call me crazy but we all come into this world with nothing.  To grouse and stew because you USED to be famous and rich is shameful.  And to inflict pain upon those who you leave behind when killing yourself is inexcusable.

Written By: whistledog on 03/18/07 at 1:20 pm

If I recall correctly, Del killed himself because he was upset that he was no longer a star.

I know this may sound callous, but I have no sympathy for people who have been at the top of the world and then grouse because they are simply "former stars".  Comes across to me as completely ungrateful for the great fortune that they came upon, and disrespectful of the rest of us schlubs who live "normal lives" every day.

Call me crazy but we all come into this world with nothing.  To grouse and stew because you USED to be famous and rich is shameful.  And to inflict pain upon those who you leave behind when killing yourself is inexcusable.

Del was on the verge of a comeback, and was in the process of recording an album (produced by ELO's Jeff Lynne), and was also chosen to replace the late Roy Orbison in The Travelling Wilburys, all shortly before he shot himself.

The 80s was his final hurrah on the charts with "Sea of Love" in 1981.  He also made a cameo appearance in the great video for Luis Cardenas' hit 1986 version of "runaway"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/18/07 at 7:44 pm

Del had been out of the limelight for decades when he killed himself.  I think he suffered from clinical depression. Lyricboy is criticizing him for a superficial reason he gave for comitting suicide.  He might not have understood why he had a suicidal urge.  He had a neurological illness that often manifests self-destructive thoughts.  If you've ever dealt with suicidal people, you know it's easy to judge their reasoning to be illogical or irrational.  If you've ever felt suicidal, you've had people tell you the same about yourself.  I don't have sympathy for Del Shannon being a has-been, I do have sympathy for the his agonized state of mind because depression was ravaging his neurochemistry.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/19/07 at 8:15 pm

John Lennon's. The others were basically from their own hands, so it was expected, really.

Check for new replies or respond here...