inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: R.I.P. Little Jessica

Written By: gemini61 on 03/19/05 at 9:31 am

This is a very sad ending  :\'(  Rest In Peace Jessica  :\'( 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7190457/

Subject: Re: R.I.P. Little Jessica

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/19/05 at 9:41 am

That scum was sentenced to 10 years for another crime in 1978 and was paroled in 2!!?? AND he has a long records....why wasn't he serving more jail time? >:(
Anyway, unfortunately, I know first hand, what it feels like to lose a child to murder...my prayers go out to her and her family...R.I.P. Jessica :\'(

Written By: gemini61 on 03/19/05 at 2:50 pm

That scum was sentenced to 10 years for another crime in 1978 and was paroled in 2!!?? AND he has a long records....why wasn't he serving more jail time? >:(
Anyway, unfortunately, I know first hand, what it feels like to lose a child to murder...my prayers go out to her and her family...R.I.P. Jessica :\'(

Yes, it seems like there has to be a better way to keep tabs on sex offenders. He wasn't even supposed to be living where he was, so obviously nobody was keeping up with him. That's what makes this even more tragic. It didn't have to happen.  :(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/19/05 at 2:53 pm

Yes, it seems like there has to be a better way to keep tabs on sex offenders. He wasn't even supposed to be living where he was, so obviously nobody was keeping up with him. That's what makes this even more tragic. It didn't have to happen.  :(
As well as his sister lying to the police...she should be charged with obstruction at best >:(

Written By: jackas on 03/19/05 at 4:28 pm

This is just awful!  I have two little girls myself and couldn't even begin to imagine how this would feel.  That guy is a monster!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/19/05 at 9:10 pm

Very sad...and what else sucks? There a hardly any replies to this thread.... ???      :\'(

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/19/05 at 9:23 pm

Well they're starting to interview jurors for the "alleged" killer of young Christina Tedder, and now this???   >:(

I hope John Voss and John Evander Couey get the punishments they deserve.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/20/05 at 1:11 am

When I saw this story yesterday about that piece of S**T admitting to this...I just cried....I had been to her website the day earlier and they were recruiting people from different states to print out the flyers and get people in their area to post them....I was planning on doing this...and then I read the story yesterday about that poor little girl and what she went through beings in the hands of that monster.....here's a question guys.....I just dont understand.....why in the world do we (the US) keep these kinds of people alive and breathing?? why do we continuously waste tax payers dollars attempting to rehabilitate these pond scum whenever it doesn't work anyway...and the majority of the time, as soon as they are released for prior crimes..they just go right back to their ways and end up hurting someone worse in the end....why is it that some countries DO NOT tollerate this kind of stuff...and they wouldn't think of keeping someone around that is like this...but our country continues to hang on to these creeps....in hopes of making them "all better"...when in reality....all they get is a whole lot worse!!!!

It truly sickens me to no end....my heart goes out so much to this girls poor family....what they must be going through...is more than I can even imagine.
Jessica is safe now...that is the only comfort one can rely on.

Erin

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/20/05 at 1:33 am

I wonder that myself, Erin.  :(

why in the world do we (the US) keep these kinds of people alive and breathing?? why do we continuously waste tax payers dollars attempting to rehabilitate these pond scum whenever it doesn't work anyway

Written By: RockandRollFan on 03/20/05 at 11:31 am

I wonder that myself, Erin.  :(
As do I, Jonathan :-\\

Written By: Dave Brown on 03/20/05 at 12:00 pm

To those of you who can't be bothered to click on to the link, here is the full new story here:

"HOMOSASSA, Fla. - A registered sex offender who authorities say confessed to kidnapping and slaying 9-year-old Jessica Lunsford returned to Florida Sunday and was held without bond.

advertisement

John Evander Couey was booked about 2:20 a.m. Sunday on a probation violation and failure to register as a sex offender, according to officials.

Couey, 46, confessed to kidnapping and killing 9-year-old Jessica Lunsford after taking a lie-detector test Friday in Georgia, officials said. The missing girl’s body was found early Saturday, more than three weeks after she disappeared from her bedroom.

He has not been charged in her death, although that move was expected soon.

“If he’s not charged today, he probably will be tomorrow,” sheriff’s spokeswoman Ronda Hemminger Evan told The Associated Press. “It shouldn’t take that long.”

Chris Livingston / EPA via Sipa Press
Jessica Lunsford, shown in an undated family photo.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a brief appearance Sunday morning before Circuit Judge Stephen Spivey at the Citrus County Detention Center, Couey — looking tired and wearing an orange jumpsuit and shackles — was declared indigent and was told a public defender would be assigned to his case.

He answered that he was doing “all right,” when Spivey asked how he was. Couey answered all other questions with either “Yes, sir” or “No, sir” replies.

At the end of the hearing, Spivey wished the man luck. “Thank you,” Couey said softly, before turning and shuffling away, his shackles clanging together.

'She’s home now'
Couey’s appearance comes a day after Jessica’s body was found during an overnight search near a mobile home near the house where she lived with her father and grandparents.

Jessica’s father, Mark Lunsford, visited the search scene shortly after sunrise and gave a brief, emotional statement to reporters.

“Everyone heard me say, time after time, that she would be home,” Lunsford said, his eyes hidden behind dark black sunglasses. “She’s home now.”

'Bunch of druggies' also charged
Citrus County Sheriff Jeff Dawsy said that four other people were charged in connection with the case, three of them with obstruction for failing to notify police when Couey allegedly told them he had committed a crime. A fourth, the sheriff said, was picked up for questioning in the case but was charged only with failure to pay child support in an unrelated matter. FREE VIDEO

• Body of missing girl found
March 19: A registered sex offender reportedly confessed to the kidnapping and murder of Jessica Lunsford, and told police where to find her body.
Nightly News

Dawsy called the four “a bunch of druggies” and said he would urge prosecutors not to allow them to plea-bargain for reduced sentences.

The body was found in the area around the trailer home of Couey’s half-sister.

Crews worked through the night in temperatures that dipped into the low 40s. Bright search lights were erected around the perimeter, and several candles left from a late-night vigil burned nearby.

A stream of official vehicles came and went throughout the pre-dawn hours, and a state mobile forensics unit left the scene about 3:30 a.m. — about the time Jessica’s body was found and taken to nearby Leesburg for examination.

Mark Lunsford has said the family did not know Couey, who was arrested Thursday.

“He may have interacted with Jessica,” Dawsy said. “But there is no relationship between Couey and this family.”

'He will pay'
At a news conference late Friday from Ohio, the girl’s mother, Angela Bryant, repeatedly made the same vow: Couey, she said, “will pay.”

“This man’s hurt too many people,” she said through tears. “He’s hurt too many children. And one of them is my daughter. He took her life from her and she didn’t deserve it. He will pay. He will pay. For hurting them children out there and my daughter, he will pay.”

Jessica, a third grader, was last seen when she went to bed in her home Feb. 23. She was discovered missing the next morning, with the door unlocked and her stuffed animal gone. The clothes she had laid out for school were still in place, and her shoes weren’t missing.

More than 100 police and volunteers, with help from bloodhounds and helicopters, searched the area about 60 miles north of Tampa for days following her disappearance. Jessica’s family made emotional appeals on national television for her safe return.

Sex offender disappeared
Detectives grew interested in Couey while interviewing all registered sex offenders in the area. They tried to contact Couey at his home in Homosassa five days after Jessica disappeared and discovered he no longer lived there.

When investigators followed up with the half-sister, she denied that Couey had lived with her. But another relative confided to a detective that Couey sometimes stayed at the home.

Authorities said Couey left Florida on or about March 4 after telling relatives that police would be looking for him. He was arrested in Augusta, Ga., on a probation violation for failing to notify officials that he was moving, a requirement for sex offenders. He was awaiting extradition to Florida on Friday.

Couey has an extensive criminal record that includes 24 arrests for burglary, carrying a concealed weapon and indecent exposure. In 1991, he was arrested in Kissimmee on a charge of fondling a child under age 16. Records don’t show how the case was resolved.

During a house burglary in 1978, Couey was accused of grabbing a girl in her bedroom, placing his hand over her mouth and kissing her, Dawsy said. Couey was sentenced to 10 years in prison but was paroled in 1980".

That guy should be strung up and shot for what he did to an innocent girl like that. Who the hell does he think he is? The guy's a creep and should not be approached by anyone.

And to anyone who has got kids of their own, then keep your eye on them at all times because guys like that are not worth the ground they walk on.

Written By: gemini61 on 03/20/05 at 3:15 pm

To those of you who can't be bothered to click on to the link, here is the full new story here:

Thanks, Dave.

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/20/05 at 4:15 pm

Well let's hope this Nonce (Not of Normal Crimincal Element - if you had always wonderd what that meant) get's the holy crap beaten out of him in prison.

Over here a common method used to deal with Sex Offenders is Boiling Hot Water, mixed with sugar another favourite is a razor blade on each side of the mouth, severing those tendons.. torture the bastard... let's hope the lads in the prison he is going to can come up with some even worse things..

Written By: lynns on 12/08/08 at 9:28 am

:( so it has been almost what 4 years now and it sucks!!!! couey was a sick guy and needs to be killed now not just put on death row really we thee people who are mad at him and want him to pay for what he did are paying for him to stay alive!! wow! jessica baby girl i want him gone but they are letting him live on death row! i know its not fair but i cant change it you will always be loved by many!! remembered by all!! and all of your familys angel!! and my number one angel~ http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/angel3.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...