inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Today is the 25th Anniversary of John Lennon's Death

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/08/05 at 1:48 pm

I wasn't yet alive on Dec. 8th 1980, but I can understand the sorrow everyone felt the day he died.

Anyone that was alive at that time and old enough to remember this event, what are your thoughts?

Subject: Re: Today is the 25th Anniversary of John Lennon's Death

Written By: nally on 12/08/05 at 1:57 pm

I was only five months old at the time so I do not remember a thing about it. But I did hear about it later on in my life, when I was old enough to understand news events. :\'(

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/08/05 at 3:19 pm

twas sad, but he was looking pretty raggedy by the time he passed... he was very sick.  no more suffering.

Written By: gord on 12/08/05 at 4:20 pm

I wasn't yet alive on Dec. 8th 1980, but I can understand the sorrow everyone felt the day he died.

Anyone that was alive at that time and old enough to remember this event, what are your thoughts?

You weren't alive when it happened but you felt the loss yrs later, very nice. I was 16 and remember it well, it's one of those moments that will stay with me, I still think of how pointless it was.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/08/05 at 4:25 pm

I remember when Lennon died. I was 10 years old, and although I didn't fully comprehend how tragic it was at the time, I do remember that my older sister (who was 19) was a huge Beatles fan and was really hit hard by John's death. I also remember wondering why it happened...what could have possibly motivated that creep Mark David Chapman to kill his idol, and to this day I still don't understand.  >:(

Written By: thenewwavechick on 12/08/05 at 4:36 pm

twas sad, but he was looking pretty raggedy by the time he passed... he was very sick.  no more suffering.

I don't believe he was sick.  What makes you think he was sick?  Just believe he looked badly doesn't mean he was sick.  Show us proof that he was sick.
I was eight years old when he was killed and was in Boston, MA with my Mom.  The night he was killed I had this vivid nightmare of someone getting shot, and the next day we went to Quincy Market and saw a mounted police office officer.  There was also a van from WBZ and they were playing John Lennon songs.  My Mom asked what happened and the mounted police officer said that John Lennon was killed.
I was only eight years old but I was heartbroken, because even at that young of an age I was a huge Beatles fan (thanks to my parents). 

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/08/05 at 5:22 pm

I didn't get the news of Lennon's murder until the next day on the "Today" show. I was a sad feeling that a Beatles reunion would no longer be possible unless the other three joined Lennon in the hereafter. Howard Cosell did mention it on Monday Night Football. Unfortunately, that was one of the few MNF games I didn't watch. :\'(

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/08/05 at 5:34 pm

I was 4 (he was murdered the day after my 4th b-day) and I remember my mom taking me to a memorial days after it happened. She cried. I remember people being sad; but I wasn't fully aware of the importance until a few years later after constant reminders of what happened the day after my b-day (like today).

Written By: gemini on 12/08/05 at 6:02 pm

I was 19 and when the alarm went off on my clock radio, that was the news that was on. My boyfriend (now my husband) and I just rolled over and looked at each other and I swore I was dreaming. I couldn't believe it. It is such a senseless loss, it still pisses me off everytime I think about it.  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/08/05 at 6:36 pm

I have to say that I was never a big John Lennon fan.  I mean, I liked alot of his music, but I thought (and still do) that he was completely full of himself.

Now, that said.  When I heard that he was murdered,  :\'( my immediate reaction was "I hope the cops shoot the S.O.B. who did this".  It was definitely a shock, an abomination.  >:(

I certainly hope that the murderer (who I will not afford the glory of mentioning his name) is having a horrible time in jail and continues to do so.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/08/05 at 7:15 pm

I remember when Lennon died. I was 10 years old, and although I didn't fully comprehend how tragic it was at the time, I do remember that my older sister (who was 19) was a huge Beatles fan and was really hit hard by John's death. I also remember wondering why it happened...what could have possibly motivated that creep Mark David Chapman to kill his idol, and to this day I still don't understand.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/08/05 at 10:36 pm

I was 24, and was caught up in the Beatles invasion/hysteria and was deeply saddened as were most to lose such a gifted singer/songwriter musician. We saw a Beatles tribute group "Rain" in Lake Tahoe this summer and the guy who imitated John was good , in fact they all were. It was a fun show, but really makes you miss John and George all the more. time to pull out some more Beatle CD's and enjoy John Lennon

Written By: Gis on 12/09/05 at 1:29 am

I was 12, I was at school at the time and I remember someone running into our classroom to say it had happened.

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/09/05 at 7:04 am

ok, i don't remember this...um, i was 2!!!!!!! oh boy the lennonites are gonna lynch me!

blimp it.

Written By: star500 on 12/09/05 at 10:54 am

I, like Utraviolet was not born when this happened (I'm 20 years old), however as I grew up I started listen to the Beatles. I really started to like them when I was about 15 or 16 years old. My mother remembers when it happened...she said she turned on the late night news and there it was. She was shocked and very sad (she was a Beatles fan as well!)

I can only imagine how painful it must have been for people to find out that John Lennon had been shot. I am glad that the a**hole who shot him is still rotting in jail. I actually wish he had gotten the death penalty, wish is surprising for me because I am not a a violent person but I feel Mark David Chapman deserved to be killed for killing John Lennon for no reason. :\'( :-[

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 12/09/05 at 11:44 am

I was five the time when Lennon was shot and I didn't hear about it but I the killer should rot in jail for a long time with no chance in heck for parole

Check for new replies or respond here...