inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Comedian Richard Pryor has passed away at age 65...goodbye funnyman:(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/10/05 at 3:53 pm

I just heard on CNN that Richard Pryor has died...Pryor was the first 'naughty' comedian I got to enjoy...and his struggles with drug addiction and later, multiple sclerosis and how he used humor to deal with it all inspired me. Thanks Richard for making me laugh and making me realize sometimes my problems, I can be humorous about it as you were. A dam funny comedian and a truly talented fella. :\'(

Subject: Re: Comedian Richard Pryor has passed away at age 65...goodbye funnyman:(

Written By: thenewwavechick on 12/10/05 at 4:05 pm

This is a sad day.  I loved Richard's teaming with Gene Wilder in Silver Streak, Stir Crazy and See No Evil.  I also loved when he was SNL and the Excersist parady and the famous, "The bed is on my foot!!!!  The bed is on my foot!!!"  Peace be with you, Richard.  :(  :\'(

Subject: Re: Comedian Richard Pryor has passed away at age 65...goodbye funnyman:(

Written By: Dagwood on 12/10/05 at 4:12 pm

Wow.  This is a shock.  He was so sick for so long I knew it was coming, but it is still a shock.  Rest In Peace, Mr. Pryor.  You will be missed.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/10/05 at 4:30 pm

Very sad, he had so much, gave so much, and threw so much away.  He is missed.  :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/05 at 4:31 pm

Sad news indeed, I even met him back in 1977 at the Premier for Silver Streak, a pleasant man and will be greatly missed.

R.I.P.

Written By: Brian Damaged on 12/10/05 at 4:31 pm

I didn't heard that until now.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/10/05 at 4:46 pm

I heard about it just recentlly, he was one of my favorite comedians, and off hand probally the best thing about Superman III.

He will be sadly missed.  :\'(

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/10/05 at 5:15 pm

This is sad. His earlier stand up comedy before he became a movie star was so funny. He was one of the best comedians ever.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/10/05 at 5:31 pm

Ohh, boy. I am so upset. I can't believe I just found out now. It tells you how "out of it" I've been due to school and work consuming my time.

Rest in Peace, Richard. You were a wonderful comedian and you'll be missed!

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/10/05 at 5:47 pm

So very sad to hear of Richard's passing today... he was a brilliant-yet-troubled comedian. He will be missed...  :\'(

Written By: whistledog on 12/10/05 at 6:15 pm

I loved him in "The Toy".  R.I.P. Richard.  You will be missed  :\'(

Written By: YWN on 12/10/05 at 6:17 pm

I liked "Hear No Evil, See No Evil", with Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder...

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 12/10/05 at 6:40 pm

So sad.

Written By: gord on 12/10/05 at 6:41 pm

I grew up watching his stand-up and movies, he'll be missed.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/10/05 at 6:43 pm

I...am..shocked.

I read that on another blog and thought it was false. Until I saw this thread!  :\'(

RIP, Mr. Pryor

Written By: Harmonica on 12/10/05 at 9:42 pm

I'd like to say a few words on my all time favorite african-american actor.

He was one of the funniest people I've ever witnessed on the screen.  The way he was able to carry himself and use his body and face was phenominal. Extremely talented man with a lot of passion and heart in what he did. I'll never forget him or the work he did.

Written By: bbigd04 on 12/11/05 at 1:39 am

He was a great actor. I'm also shocked by the news. I did know that he's been sick for a number of years now though. I've seen a few of his movies and some of his stand up performances, definitely a very funny man. He will be missed. R.I.P.  :\'(

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/12/05 at 2:36 pm

I was so sorry to hear of his passing, but not surprised. I was surprised at how long he was force to suffer before his death. He was sick for so long. He just had all the life sucked out of him. A sad ending for a funny guy. :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: guest on 12/12/05 at 5:09 pm

Iknew FUNNIER people who didn't have to resort to filthy language..that's like calling a rapper a great singer because they used their raw emotions to sing Rudolph the "F"n Nosed Reindeer because they were speaking their mind..

Well, that really promotes humor...

I loved his movies but can't condone the point of calling him an 'inspiration' and you get Eddie Murphy from that? Eddie is funny when he does his character work as well..but when he goes off on his foulness It's far from Mark Twain ...but who wants to follow Mr. Twain..

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/12/05 at 7:55 pm

My favorite Pryor comedy scene was in the movie "Which Way is Up?" when his wife used the vibrator on him.

Classic, classic Pryor comedy. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/12/05 at 8:27 pm

I never liked him...but it is still sad that he passed away.  RIP.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/13/05 at 5:34 pm

I was pretty saddened to hear this too. I knew his health was failing, but hoped it wasn't that bad.

Whenever you read news articles of this nature, especially in supermarket tabloids, you always hope sad news like this isn't totally true. I'd heard his health was failing for awhile, and unfortunately they were right this time. :(

He was really freakin' funny - a little crude at times, but a talented man nonetheless. He even joked about his near death accident (lighting himself on fire while doing drugs) in the early 80's in a standup routine. That clearly shows he had a sense of humor in himself too.

Written By: nally on 12/14/05 at 5:10 pm

He'd just had a birthday a week before he checked out. R.I.P. Dick :\'(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/07/06 at 4:54 pm

Iknew FUNNIER people who didn't have to resort to filthy language..that's like calling a rapper a great singer because they used their raw emotions to sing Rudolph the "F"n Nosed Reindeer because they were speaking their mind..

Well, that really promotes humor...

I loved his movies but can't condone the point of calling him an 'inspiration' and you get Eddie Murphy from that? Eddie is funny when he does his character work as well..but when he goes off on his foulness It's far from Mark Twain ...but who wants to follow Mr. Twain..
Why do you have so much hatred for Richard Pryor..explain please. Are you one of those squeaky-clean Pat Robertson/Jerry Falwell/Jimmy Swaggart holier-than-thou types who thinks humor is stuff like Amos n' Andy or do you have no sense of humor at all...I suspect you are the latter type.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/07/06 at 8:44 pm

Why do you have so much hatred for Richard Pryor..explain please. Are you one of those squeaky-clean Pat Robertson/Jerry Falwell/Jimmy Swaggart holier-than-thou types who thinks humor is stuff like Amos n' Andy or do you have no sense of humor at all...I suspect you are the latter type.

This is just an observation, quest never said he hated Richard Pryor.  Just because someone doesn't like a particular type of comedy doesn't mean they have no sense of humor.  Doesn't make them holier than thou either.  Not everyone likes foul language, no need to attack them for their opinions. 

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/16/06 at 2:04 pm

This is just an observation, quest never said he hated Richard Pryor.  Just because someone doesn't like a particular type of comedy doesn't mean they have no sense of humor.  Doesn't make them holier than thou either.  Not everyone likes foul language, no need to attack them for their opinions. 
Sorry, I misunderstood.

One of the things I liked about Richard Pryor is he was able to have a sense of humor even about the bad things that happened to him...

Written By: Dagwood on 01/16/06 at 7:36 pm

One of the things I liked about Richard Pryor is he was able to have a sense of humor even about the bad things that happened to him...

Same here.

Written By: Harmonica on 01/16/06 at 7:44 pm

Same here.

That makes three of us. Richard Pryor was an inspiration to me because a lot of my life hasn't been pretty. Had a lot of tragedy, disappointment and failure in my life and watching Richard do what he did in such an optomistic way was very inspiring. He helped me laugh when I really needed to. I'll miss him forever.

Check for new replies or respond here...