inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Wilson Pickett has died

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 01/19/06 at 6:30 pm

Popular R&B/Soul singer Wilson Pickett has died. You can read about it here: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=1523518

Subject: Re: Wilson Pickett has died

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/19/06 at 6:32 pm

Haven't heard of him, but may he RIP.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/19/06 at 6:53 pm

Haven't heard of him, but may he RIP.
He was best known for "In The Midnight Hour" (1965), "Mustang Sally" and "Land Of 1000 Dances" (1966). "Wicked Mr. Pickett," with his gravelly voice, was responsible (along with his fellow artists from the Memphis-based Stax/Volt label) for some of the gutsiest and grittiest Southern-fried soul music ever to make the charts. Memphis soul kicks ass, and Wilson Pickett will be sorely missed. R.I.P.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/19/06 at 6:58 pm

As much as I love Motown, I think Wilson Pickett and others like him defined what soul music really is....

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/19/06 at 7:05 pm

We lost another one.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/19/06 at 7:11 pm

He was best known for "In The Midnight Hour" (1965), "Mustang Sally" and "Land Of 1000 Dances" (1966). "Wicked Mr. Pickett," with his gravelly voice, was responsible (along with his fellow artists from the Memphis-based Stax/Volt label) for some of the gutsiest and grittiest Southern-fried soul music ever to make the charts. Memphis soul kicks ass, and Wilson Pickett will be sorely missed. R.I.P.

Why are so many R&B guys dying?  And why can't Michael Jackson have died in 1987, so he could be remembered as a G?  Why does he live now?  ;D

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/19/06 at 7:59 pm

Why are so many R&B guys dying?  And why can't Michael Jackson have died in 1987, so he could be remembered as a G?  Why does he live now?  ;D
Oh man, don't get me started! It seems like way too many of the really groundbreaking and talented artists are taken from us way too soon (even though Wilson Pickett died at 64, so at least he wasn't cut down in his prime, like Otis Redding), while you just know all of these no-talent a**holes are going to live until they're 90. Do you think Fred Durst, or Britney Spears, or Ashlee Simpson, or even Madonna is going to suddenly die in a plane crash, or O.D on heroin, or blow their heads off with a shotgun? Hell, no! They're all going to stick around just so they can keep annoying us for at least another 50 years!!!  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/19/06 at 9:25 pm

R.I.P., Wilson, and thanks for all the great tunes!
:\'(

Written By: guest on 01/19/06 at 9:27 pm

Is this part of the 'die in 3's curse'? Black male singers...Lou Rawls, Wilson and ????
Hang on for the next within the month huh?

Written By: Dagwood on 01/19/06 at 9:54 pm

R.I.P. Mr. Pickett.

Written By: nally on 01/19/06 at 11:41 pm

I just found out about it this evening. First we lose Lou Rawls, now WP. They will both be missed. :\'( :(

Written By: Paul on 01/20/06 at 6:50 am

A great loss...although he had been ill for a while, it didn't seem that his life was in that much danger...

Mr Darko...do try and find his 60s recordings...absolute classics, nearly each and every one...

For my money, his version of 'Land Of 1000 Dances' remains definitive...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/20/06 at 10:14 am

This is really sad news, sadly the really great celebrities of our times, are getting older or dying.  :\'(

Rest In Peace, Wilson.

Written By: KKay on 01/20/06 at 10:44 am

I know...I just started a thread too.
Very sad- we're losing some music legends lately.
He'll be sorely missed.

Written By: Carl on 01/20/06 at 11:13 am

He didn't get the nickname 'Wicked' for nothing! A great talent! RIP  :\'(

Written By: gmann on 01/20/06 at 1:16 pm

2006 has been a bad year for soul singers. For those that haven't heard Wilson Pickett, pick up a greatest hits compilation for a sampling of some of the best southern soul ever committed to tape.

Another in that genre worth checking out is Joe Tex, who also died relatively young. He's sadly overlooked despite a wealth of great songs, including "Skinny Legs and All", "Hold on to What You've Got" and "The Love You Save". Great stuff...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/20/06 at 1:20 pm

This is really sad news, sadly the really great celebrities of our times, are getting older or dying.  :\'(

Rest In Peace, Wilson.

I'm really sad now, especially after hearing "Mustang Sally" on the radio.  An era we're at the tail end of is ending.  :\'(

Written By: Carl on 01/20/06 at 1:56 pm

Notice how this always happens in 3s-First Lou Rawls, then Barry Cowsill now Wilson Pickett. I hope we don't loose anymore.

Mustang Sally was always a favorite of mine

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/20/06 at 2:22 pm

Notice how this always happens in 3s-First Lou Rawls, then Barry Cowsill now Wilson Pickett. I hope we don't loose anymore.

Mustang Sally was always a favorite of mine

Well, if they were 30 in 1960 they would be 76 now, sadly enough.  About the average lifespan of a Western man.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/20/06 at 2:30 pm

Rawls was about 70. Wilson Pickett was 64. Barry Cowsill was 51.

All of those are rather short of 76 years old.

That's true, they were pretty young in those days. Actually, the Motown/soul age really spans from the '50s to the '90s, but peaks in the '60s and '70s.  I guess there was a lot of cocaine and weed and stuff then.  I miss Rick James, especially with the Chappelle's Show skit.  :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...