inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sean Penns brother dies....

Written By: saver on 01/24/06 at 10:49 pm

Just got the news of the passing of Chris Penn...

Condolences to the Penn family..... :\'(

Guess the cause will be detemined....anyone hear if he was ill?

Subject: Re: Sean Penns brother dies....

Written By: whistledog on 01/24/06 at 10:55 pm

This is very sad news :(

I always liked him in Footloose.  He will be missed  :\'(

Written By: Harmonica on 01/24/06 at 11:04 pm

Christopher Penn had a close special place in my list of actors because he was in one of my favorite Movies of all time. Best of the Best and Best of the Best Part II.  He played the character Travis and did a phenominal job as the character.  Hearing of his death just within 5 minutes ago really came as a shock to me.  Recent pictures of him showed that he wasn't in all that great of health either.  Although I've only seen three of his movies, Rumble Fish being the other, I value him as a very good actor from what I've seen.  To the rest of the world he maybe only Sean Penn's brother but to me he's Christopher Penn, the man that played Travis Brickely in one of my all time favorite movies.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 01/24/06 at 11:24 pm

:\'( :\'( Im so sorry to hear about the passing of Chris Penn.. i was just watching him in Murder by Numbers.. He was a great character actor.... Must be really hard on the brothers, siblings for the most part are like built in best friends!!! :\'(  God Bless the Penn family....  R.I.P. Chris

Written By: whistledog on 01/24/06 at 11:24 pm

I'd completely forgotten he was in those Best of the Bests.  He did a great job in those movies

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/25/06 at 5:25 am

That's too bad.  I always thought he was a good character actor.

Let's hope that this is not one of those "it comes in threes" situations...

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/25/06 at 8:21 am

That's too bad. I'll always remember him as "Nice Guy Eddie" in Reservoir Dogs.

Written By: Carl on 01/25/06 at 8:40 am

Very Tragic news! I liked him in such films as All the right moves, Footloose and Rumble Fish.

May you find peace Chris  :\'(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/25/06 at 10:22 am

I liked him alot in Reservior Dogs.

Rest in peace, Chris.  :\'(

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 01/25/06 at 1:45 pm

I just heard the news... so very sad... :( I hope the autopsy is able to answer some questions about why he passed away at such a young age...

Written By: Dagwood on 01/25/06 at 6:45 pm

So sad.  I loved him in Footloose.  R.I.P. Chris.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/25/06 at 10:49 pm

RIP Nice Guy Eddie  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/26/06 at 5:46 am

None of the news accounts mention his excellent  8) performance in the classic western, Pale TRider.

(typo fixed  :-[ )

Written By: Carl on 01/26/06 at 12:44 pm

Oh right! Pale Rider (sorry, couldn't resist that  :) ) Yes, how can I overlook that movie! He played a good bad guy in that.

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/26/06 at 6:38 pm

He didn't appear in many movies, but Chris Penn had performed well in the ones he appered in. Even for a celebrity, it's sad to lose a loved one. Condolences and prayers. :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/26/06 at 9:12 pm

Any word yet on whether it was suicide or something like heart failure.  I just heard they ruled out foul play.
:\'(

Written By: guest on 01/26/06 at 11:20 pm

Any word yet on whether it was suicide or something like heart failure.  I just heard they ruled out foul play.

Still no word as the toxicollogy tests need to be completed...so far at this rate it sounds like a natural death...

Entertainment Tonight discussed his drug use in the earlier days...not proven if he was totally off anything...I will guess at this point from the sounds it might be found he MIXED a combination of something that shouldn't have been..JUST MY GUESS..

Others feel it may be a weight issue death...maybe like the verry heavy John Candy... 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/27/06 at 6:44 am

Still no word as the toxicollogy tests need to be completed...so far at this rate it sounds like a natural death...

Entertainment Tonight discussed his drug use in the earlier days...not proven if he was totally off anything...I will guess at this point from the sounds it might be found he MIXED a combination of something that shouldn't have been..JUST MY GUESS..

Others feel it may be a weight issue death...maybe like the verry heavy John Candy...   

Jonathan Demme's nephew, Ted Demme, was an up-and-coming director himself when he died at the age of 38.  He was a hefty guy who over-exerted himself shooting baskets.  It also turns out he was on cocaine.  Sadly ironic is his first feature film, starring Johnny Depp, was a great movie called "Blow."

A lot of the films John Candy made under-used his talents.  He really was a gifted comic actor.  A while back I saw an SCTV re-run in which they were lampooning "Leave It To Beaver," with John Candy playing the Beaver.  I laughed until I hyperventilated!
If I had to pick a single film that exemplifies the best of John Candy's comic/tragic sensibilites, it would definitely be "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles."

Anyway, forty years old is awfully young for a completely "natural" death--barring some freak genetic disorder or particularly aggressive cancer.  So we'll have to look out for an update on the late Mr. Penn.

Check for new replies or respond here...