inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Former baseball great Kirby Puckett has died of a stroke

Written By: nally on 03/06/06 at 8:26 pm

Kirby Puckett, who spent the majority of his career with the Minnesota Twins, has passed away. He was only 44 years old! :\'( :\'(

Details can be found here:
http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/article.adp?id=20060306201109990006&ncid=NWS00010000000001

R.I.P. Kirby

Subject: Re: Former baseball great Kirby Puckett has died of a stroke

Written By: whistledog on 03/06/06 at 9:45 pm

R.I.P. Kirby  :\'(

He was a great baseball player.  I still have some baseball cards of him Upper Deck '91 and '92

Written By: Dagwood on 03/06/06 at 11:44 pm

Damn.  R.I.P Kirby. :(

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/06/06 at 11:48 pm

What horrible news.  He may not have had a great off the field life, but he didn't deserve to die so young. 

Written By: kellygoo72 on 03/07/06 at 1:30 am

:\'( :\'(  R.I.P Kirby.. May God Bless u and ur Family.. I was a Minnesota sports fan for yrs and he always made me smile... He was AWESOME!!!!!  There is one HUGE angel in heaven now.... :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/07/06 at 3:25 am

Kirby Puckett was one of the best. I loved watching him play because he always played hard and gave it his all. I sometimes see major leaguers hit a pop fly or ground ball that you know is an out, and a lot of them just jog towards first and don't try hard, but he would still run hard and fast to first base and I admired his style and that approach to the game. The fireplug. God bless him and his family and friends. He'll be sorely missed.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/07/06 at 6:13 am

This was so unexpected, he was way too young.    :\'(

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/07/06 at 10:34 am

I was really shocked to hear about this last night. I remember following the '87 World Series closely, because I thought that it was cool that a team that had struggled so long had finally made it to the top, and I can remember how awesome Kirby Puckett was back then. Very sad.  :(

Written By: gmann on 03/07/06 at 11:18 am

Kirby always seemed to be a nice guy who enjoyed playing the game. I remember his performance in the '91 World Series against Atlanta. He really surprised John Smoltz and company!  :) I was a long-suffering Cleveland Indians fan, but even I could see what he meant to the Twins and baseball fans in that part of the world. He'll be missed... 

Written By: nally on 03/07/06 at 12:02 pm

For the record, he would have been 45 next Tuesday. Still, he was quite young. :\'(

I have quite a few of his baseball cards as well (mostly from Topps).

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/07/06 at 1:18 pm

It's really a shame that Kirby didn't take better care of himself after he retired. Moving to Scottsdale in his condition was probably a mistake. I know how strokes can rob people of there lives and/or independence, since my mother succumbed to the same disease, although it took much longer for her. We'll all miss Kirby, no matter how one feels for the man. :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...