inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Miss Deaf Texas killed by a train while text-messaging her parents..RIP:(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/15/06 at 11:14 pm

This is really sad, from AOL news...http://articles.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20060315134709990002&ncid=NWS00010000000001......  :\'(  I was on AOL's message board on this topic, and I can't believe some of the mean posts put there by people. This girl is dead, this is a tragedy, this is no one to post hateful things about was my reply to those jerks.I find it sad and disheartening, as well as discouraging, that people have to be mean like that.  :\'( :-[

Subject: Re: Miss Deaf Texas killed by a train while text-messaging her parents..RIP:(

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/16/06 at 3:18 am

That is tragic...damn those people who invented text-messaging...then deaf people wouldn't be able to communicate. No, I didn't mean to humour the situation. She SHOULD have stayed well away from the tracks, but when you're distracted you don't notice these things. Yeah, some people try to be so rational, forgetting there are feelings involved. I too know the dangers of getting distracted by text messaging. In my case, I was texting while driving and rear-ended the car in front of me (luckily, it was minor and there was no damage), but I was lucky, could've been much worse.

Subject: Re: Miss Deaf Texas killed by a train while text-messaging her parents..RIP:(

Written By: spaceace on 03/16/06 at 12:27 pm

My God the parents must be devastated. I know this sounds like an ignorant question but. . . what was she doing on the tracks?  The only thing I could think of is that she was in a car and it stalled on the tracks. :o

Written By: Tia on 03/16/06 at 12:31 pm

this story made me sad, i saw this in the news yesterday. they had this picture of her in the paper, she was very pretty. not that that should make it sadder, but you know...

obviously the whole "Deaf girl didn't hear the train coming" is pretty easy fodder for jerks who'd want to make rude comments.

Written By: spaceace on 03/16/06 at 12:44 pm

You're right Tia.

Written By: Marian on 03/16/06 at 3:19 pm

This is really sad, from AOL news...http://articles.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20060315134709990002&ncid=NWS00010000000001......   :\'(  I was on AOL's message board on this topic, and I can't believe some of the mean posts put there by people. This girl is dead, this is a tragedy, this is no one to post hateful things about was my reply to those jerks.I find it sad and disheartening, as well as discouraging, that people have to be mean like that.  :\'( :-[
That goes to show you that just because you can use your cell phone anywhere,doesn't mean you SHOULD..!!Doing it while riding a bike or driving,or in a library are not a good idea.Maybe we should go back to phone booths--people stayed in a safe place while talking at least.It is a tragedy she died.Also horrifying that whoevver she was talking to probably heard her get killed. :(

Written By: La Roche on 03/16/06 at 3:51 pm

She was walking next to the tracks.  Yes, this is tragic, but I don't understand why she was walking so CLOSE to the tracks ???

Yeah, If I couldn't hear I think I'd stay away from ya know.. Highway's, Railway tracks, Landing strips etc.. .. It's bizare that she walking right by them.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/16/06 at 4:15 pm

She was walking next to the tracks.  Yes, this is tragic, but I don't understand why she was walking so CLOSE to the tracks ???

That's exactly what I don't get. You are deaf; therefore, you shouldn't be so close to something so dangerous.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/16/06 at 4:51 pm

Trains kill thousands of pedestrians and car drivers every year because people don't take care around tracks.  Less than one percent of them are deaf.  The cops cite people all the time around here for walking on railroad tracks, and the terrible demise of Miss Deaf Texas illustrates why.

I thought the young woman was not standing directly on the tracks, but standing too close to them.  I was surprised the rumble of the train didn't alert her in time.  But, heck, when you're engrossed in text-messaging, maybe you don't respond quickly enough to stimuli that might save you're life!
::)

Written By: La Roche on 03/16/06 at 5:48 pm

That's exactly what I don't get. You are deaf; therefore, you shouldn't be so close to something so dangerous.

Exactly.

I have perfect hearing.. and I'm still unlikely to go walking along the railway tracks.

Written By: Tia on 03/16/06 at 10:06 pm

when i was about deaf girl's age we did lots of stupid stuff like that -- playing on the ledge of 5th story parking lots, walking across railroad track bridges with no rails, screwing around on little tiny boards over rapids. i almost killed myself a million times, so i won't judge her, i was just luckier than i had any right to be, is all.

Written By: Apricot on 03/17/06 at 10:56 am

So, if she can't hear... why is she walking so close to a very dangerous vehicle that could easily kill her, that cannot easily stop or avoid her, and it's only way of warning is by ear?

It's a sad event, but I could have seen it coming if I knew her and that this were her habit.

Written By: La Roche on 03/17/06 at 11:04 am

when i was about deaf girl's age we did lots of stupid stuff like that -- playing on the ledge of 5th story parking lots, walking across railroad track bridges with no rails, screwing around on little tiny boards over rapids. i almost killed myself a million times, so i won't judge her, i was just luckier than i had any right to be, is all.

Didn't everyone when they were a kid? But if you can't hear what's going on, it kind of cancels these ideas out really dosen't it?

I actually fell off a train bridge, it was only over a road and thankfully there were no cars coming, still, hell of a fall.

Written By: Tia on 03/17/06 at 11:29 am

Didn't everyone when they were a kid?

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=14355;type=avatar

she didn't I bet.

Written By: La Roche on 03/17/06 at 12:06 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=14355;type=avatar

she didn't I bet.

No, but she did end up making a priest hang himself.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/17/06 at 9:52 pm

Was she from Deaf Smith County by any chance?
http://www.co.deaf-smith.tx.us/ips/cms
;)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/18/06 at 4:56 pm

What really got me p*ssed off is how extremely rude some of the AOL posters were. Makes me wonder whether they really are bigots or just some kids looking to get their kicks by flaming on a message board "Oh it's so cool to flame"...

Written By: Marian on 03/19/06 at 4:27 pm

What really got me p*ssed off is how extremely rude some of the AOL posters were. Makes me wonder whether they really are bigots or just some kids looking to get their kicks by flaming on a message board "Oh it's so cool to flame"...
I'm sure a lot of kids do this.

Written By: Apricot on 03/19/06 at 6:25 pm

I'm sure a lot of kids do this.

Sometimes, people don't know how to get along online, so they think you have to flame to make a place.

Written By: Tia on 03/19/06 at 6:32 pm

Sometimes, people don't know how to get along online, so they think you have to flame to make a place.
it's sorta like vandalism, i think.

Written By: La Roche on 03/19/06 at 6:52 pm

So anyway.. in a moderatly related story.. I relived childhood entertainment yesterday. The state park I took the dog to has a big train line that runs right through it.. I put about $5 in change on the tracks and giggled in glee. D'ya think that's what she was doing?

Written By: Gis on 03/21/06 at 9:00 am

Isn't it meant to be that your other senses get heightened when one is gone ? I don't know how fast trains go in the U.S but in the U.K you can feel the vibrations when a train is nearby as well as hear it !

Written By: La Roche on 03/21/06 at 12:26 pm

Isn't meant to be that your other senses get ehightened when one is gone ? I don't know how fast trains go in the U.S but in the U.K you can feel the vibrations when a train is nearby as well as hear it !

Most goods trains don't go particularly fast... depends where the track is.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/21/06 at 12:37 pm

Isn't meant to be that your other senses get ehightened when one is gone ? I don't know how fast trains go in the U.S but in the U.K you can feel the vibrations when a train is nearby as well as hear it !
Here in the Midwest anyway, I think the speed limit for freight trains is about 60-65 mph, and the speed limit for the Amtrak passenger trains is 79 mph. If a train is running over, say 30 mph and you were deaf and couldn't hear it, and had your back to it, you probably wouldn't feel the vibrations from it until it was too late.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/22/06 at 5:49 pm

New Jersey Transit trains are pretty loud as they pass near my condo complex..when they pull into the station you can actually feel the vibrations and the station platform is concrete. Most Conrail freight trains around here only operate between Egg Harbor Township and Pleasantville, and they are loud enough to be heard at Pleasantville's bus station...which is right near the tracks.

Check for new replies or respond here...