inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Actor Paul Gleason Passes Away...

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/28/06 at 8:37 pm

Just off the wires... actor Paul Gleason, who played the Detention teacher in The Breakfast Club ("Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe?") and who played the role of dastardly Clarence Beaks in Trading Places has passed away at the age of 67.  He had mesothilioma.  :\'(

RIP Paul.  :\'(  You made us all laugh out loud!  ;D

http://hosted.ap.org/photos/9/902630a2-4275-46ef-af05-b098058e3f08-small.jpg

Subject: Re: Actor Paul Gleason Passes Away...

Written By: whistledog on 05/28/06 at 9:18 pm

R.I.P. Mr. Gleason :\'(

I loved him in every movie I saw him in.  He usually played the guy that you really hate, and he was great in that role.  I loved the spoof of himself in 'Not Another Teen Movie' .... "Shut your hole Wang Chung" ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 05/28/06 at 10:17 pm

How sad.  R.I.P. Mr. Gleason.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/28/06 at 11:17 pm

I was surprised to here this......  Found out about this, a few seconds ago.

He'll be sadly missed.

Rest in peace, Paul.

:\'(

Written By: 1993 on 05/29/06 at 1:24 am

terrible, he was a true 80's icon.

he was 62 by the way, not 67.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/29/06 at 6:12 am

This is such sad news... he played such a memorable character in The Breakfast Club... :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/29/06 at 11:17 am

I will always think of him as Beeks from Trading Places. And from then on, he always played the protagist (which he was very good at).

So sad.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/29/06 at 4:26 pm

I will always think of him as Beeks from Trading Places. And from then on, he always played the protagist (which he was very good at).

So sad.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

My favorite line of his (as Clarence Beeks) is a scene where he is at a pay phone, updating the Duke Brothers on his nefarious activities.  Some lady is standing real close to him while he's talking.  He then tells the Dukes "Just a second", and then he turns to the woman and says "F--- off.", then returns to his conversation.

Classic.  ;D

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 05/29/06 at 4:35 pm

:( Looks like I've got a tribute parody to write, and I already know the song I'm gonna use, which should be an obvious song choice.

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/simpleminds5.shtml

We've lost another great one in film and he will be missed sorely. I'm sure it will be up on all of the John Hughes, Anthony Michael Hall, Brat Pack official sites pretty soon, too. Don't worry, Richard Vernon, we won't forget about you.

It's a little strange for Paul Gleason to die the same year that I parody Richard Vernon as an evil Nickelodeon vice president in Nickelodeon Idiot.  :-[ And I appropriately named the character Richard Vernon, for lack of a different name, so I guess that can be meant as a tribute. He will always be Richard Vernon to me. RIP

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/29/06 at 7:14 pm

My favorite line of his (as Clarence Beeks) is a scene where he is at a pay phone, updating the Duke Brothers on his nefarious activities.  Some lady is standing real close to him while he's talking.  He then tells the Dukes "Just a second", and then he turns to the woman and says "F--- off.", then returns to his conversation.

Classic.  ;D

When I first saw this thread, that was the scene that popped into my head.

Cat

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/30/06 at 5:33 pm

His role in "The Breakfast Club" will probably be his most memorable, but Gleason was also in "Die Hard" playing, of course, an angry adversary of John McClain (Bruce Wilis). For 80s fans, he will be missed.  :\'(

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 06/03/06 at 4:27 am

I would never have known his name if I was asked - but he always managed to steal scenes in every film he was in. Some classic scenes immediately come to mind when I see his face.

Check for new replies or respond here...