inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Actor-comedian Red Buttons dies at age 87

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/14/06 at 7:13 am

RIP RED BUTTONS.

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Red Buttons, the flame-haired comedian and Oscar-winning actor of 1957 film "Sayonara," died on Thursday at his Los Angeles-area home at the age of 87 of vascular disease, his publicist said.

Buttons, who started his 60-year career as a kid singing for pennies on New York's street corners, had been ill for some time. His family was with him when he died, publicist Warren Cowan said.

Buttons' career spanned film, Broadway, television, comedy clubs and Las Vegas. He won a best supporting actor Oscar for his role as a U.S. soldier involved in an ill-fated interracial marriage in post-World War Two Japan in "Sayonara."

Born Aaron Chwatt in February 1919, the actor earned the name Buttons for a uniform he wore while working as a singing bellhop and the name Red from the color of his hair.

At 16, he got a job playing a comedy act in the Catskills resort area of New York and then worked the burlesque theater circuit before joining the U.S. Army Air Corps. During World War Two, he traveled Europe entertaining the troops with actor Mickey Rooney.

In 1952 he landed his own TV variety series -- "The Red Buttons Show" -- which lasted for three years and earned Buttons the equivalent of a modern-day Emmy award, U.S. television's top honor.

His big film break came with "Sayonara" in which he co-starred with the young Marlon Brando, and a new career as a movie star followed with appearances in "The Longest Day," "Stagecoach," "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?," and in 1972 "The Poseidon Adventure."

He won acclaim in the 1960s for his part in the TV series "The Double Life of Henry Phyfe" and for his appearances on the "Dean Martin Celebrity Roast" where he performed his "Never Got a Dinner" act.

In later years, he appeared on TV in "The Love Boat," "Knots Landing" and, as recently as 2005, in the hospital drama "ER." He also made frequent guest star appearances in Las Vegas and Atlantic City.

Buttons was married three times and had two children.

Subject: Re: Actor-comedian Red Buttons dies at age 87

Written By: holicman on 07/14/06 at 7:26 am

RIP Red Buttons.

I liked him in the original Poseidon Adventure :)

Written By: Mushroom on 07/14/06 at 4:05 pm

I was greatly saddened when I heard this.  The passing of yet another great entertainer from another era.

In addition to being one of the greatest TV stars in his generation, Red was also an Oscar recipiant for his film work.  However he rarely got the appreciation he deserved as a dramatic actor.

It is sad when I told this to my boss this morning, the guy that I work with said "Who is that?"  This guy is around 30, and never heard of Red Buttons.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/14/06 at 4:07 pm

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/15/06 at 7:11 am

RIP Red, you were a gentleman in the classic sense.  :)

In other news, character actor Barnard Hughes passed away this week.  He, too will be missed.  :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/06 at 7:53 am

I have only known him through the films he made and it is sad news to hear.

Rest In Peace.

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/16/06 at 4:33 pm

I liked his work in the "Poseiden Adventure" in the 70s, but he was a mismatch with Stella Stevens playing his wife. Still, a big loss. :\'(

Written By: danootaandme on 07/16/06 at 4:49 pm

Sayonara Red    :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...