inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Arthur Lee of Love Dies

Written By: danootaandme on 08/06/06 at 7:06 am

:\'(
I just got out my little red book
The minute that you said goodbye
I thumbed right through my little red book
I wasnt gonna sit and cry
And I went from a to z
I took out every pretty girl in town
They danced with me and as I held them

Chorus:
All I did was talk about you
Hear your name and Id start to cry
Theres just no getting over you... oh, no..

Subject: Re: Arthur Lee of Love Dies

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/06/06 at 8:11 am

:\'( I hardly knew him (I did like the band Love, though), but the loss of another genius/visionary of the Acid Rock era (so shortly after Syd Barrett's passing) is a real shock.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/06/06 at 1:47 pm

:\'( I hardly knew him (I did like the band Love, though), but the loss of another genius/visionary of the Acid Rock era (so shortly after Syd Barrett's passing) is a real shock.

We are gonna have to get used to it, especially since some of these guys were so.....self medicating(to put it mildly), most have taken years off of there lives.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/06/06 at 3:39 pm

:\'(

Arthur Lee was one of those minor celebrities whose influence can be seen in major ones, ie. The Doors, Jimmi Hendrix, Pink Floyd. 

I remember Rhino records issued a double CD box set of Love in 1995, then the next year Lee went got sent up on a firearms charge.  He had the disturbed mind that often goes in tandem with musical gift.  The band was about to tour, but Lee's legal troubles forced them to call it off.

I didn't think much about him again until I heard he died the other day.

Lee had Leukemia of the nervous system, not a pleasant way to go.

(Trivia: another unstable character in Love early on was a guitarist named Bobby Beausoleil.  However, one fine March day in 1967, Mr. Beausoleil met in Topanga Canyon a charismatic ex-con named Charles Manson.  Like so many who ran with Manson, Beausoleil ended up sentenced to life in prison!)

It looks certain we're about to lose another:
I heard in the news this week Freddy Fender, the Grammy-winning songwriter best know for "Before the Next Teardrop Falls," is suffering from inoperable lung cancer.
:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/06 at 3:51 pm

I must have heard his music over the years and any loss is a sad loss.

R.I.P.Arthur Lee

Check for new replies or respond here...