inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Character Actor Bruno Kirby Passes Away...

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/16/06 at 6:02 am

You might not recognize the name.  Bruno played the role of young Clemenza in the Godfather Part II, and he played Harry's buddy in "When Harry Met Sally".

Good solid supporting actor, he was 57.  RIP Bruno... Good work...  :)

Subject: Re: Character Actor Bruno Kirby Passes Away...

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/16/06 at 6:20 am

This saddens me. He was so much a part of why I love When Harry Met Sally so much. Here's to one of the great "that guy"s!

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 08/16/06 at 9:06 am

I just saw this on TV and was shocked :o  He was a great "sidekick" to Billy Crystal in both "WHMS" & "City Slickers" as well as a host of others  :\'(

Written By: Carl on 08/16/06 at 12:03 pm

I just heard on my car radio at lunch, truly sad to hear, I liked him best in 'City Slickers' and that funny brief cameo he had as a limo driver in 'This Is Spinal Tap' was pretty good too. He will be missed!  :\'(

Written By: whistledog on 08/16/06 at 3:34 pm

I loved him in "Tin Men"

R.I.P. Mr. Kirby  :\'(

Written By: Doc Brown on 08/16/06 at 8:49 pm

Sad indeed, I'll have to get my old copy of City Slickers out this weekend, maybe even my tape of Good Morning, Vietnam. Anyone remember BK in that? And if you do-oooo, And if you do-oooo recall that, feel free to post any other roles you remember him in.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/16/06 at 8:58 pm

I wonder if he was related to Durward Kirby, the Paris Hilton of the 1960's (famous simply for being famous)  ???

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/16/06 at 9:01 pm

Sad indeed, I'll have to get my old copy of City Slickers out this weekend, maybe even my tape of Good Morning, Vietnam. Anyone remember BK in that? And if you do-oooo, And if you do-oooo recall that, feel free to post any other roles you remember him in.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

that line in Good Morning Vietnam was funny as hell and he was great thruout the film. thanks for the memorable quote Doc. of course he was great in Godfather 2 as Clemenza opposite Robert DeNiro, and City Slickers, & When Harry Met Sally. He's good in everything I remember. sad to see him pass.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/16/06 at 9:29 pm

Sad news indeed.  Kirby was one of those character actors who livened up every movie he was in.  Whether the movie was good or bad, I always remembered the Bruno Kirby character--

Godfather II, Where the Buffalo Roam, Birdy,Tin Men, Good Morning Vietnam, When Harry Met Sally, The Freshman, and so forth...

Written By: Doc Brown on 08/17/06 at 12:24 am

that line in Good Morning Vietnam was funny as hell and he was great thruout the film. thanks for the memorable quote Doc. of course he was great in Godfather 2 as Clemenza opposite Robert DeNiro, and City Slickers, & When Harry Met Sally. He's good in everything I remember. sad to see him pass.

No problem, BF. Sadly, that makes three veterans of GMV who've passed away. J.T. Walsh went first in 1998(Sgt. Mjr. Dickerson, I hope they buried him on Guam!), then Noble Willingham in 2004(Gen. Taylor, and he was in City Slickers too!), Now Lt. Hawk(I wonder if they'll salute him now.)
Strange how the funny ones(Airman, Garlick, Marty) are still with us...

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/17/06 at 12:30 am

No problem, BF. Sadly, that makes three veterans of GMV who've passed away. J.T. Walsh went first in 1998(Sgt. Mjr. Dickerson, I hope they buried him on Guam!), then Noble Willingham in 2004(Gen. Taylor, and he was in City Slickers too!), Now Lt. Hawk(I wonder if they'll salute him now.)
Strange how the funny ones(Airman, Garlick, Marty) are still with us...

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

that was an excellent cast and I think I'm gonna watch GMV tomorrow in tribute to Bruno

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/17/06 at 2:33 am

You might not recognize the name.  Bruno played the role of young Clemenza in the Godfather Part II, and he played Harry's buddy in "When Harry Met Sally".

Good solid supporting actor, he was 57.  RIP Bruno... Good work...  :)

I was saddned by the news of his passing.. its weird, just the other day I was thinking, gee I havent seen him in anything in so long.. May he rest in Peace.. I really liked him in City Slickers.... Great movie!

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/18/06 at 7:26 pm

I was wondering why I didn't see him in anything after "City Slickers". He had leukemia for quite awhile. :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/18/06 at 9:30 pm

I was wondering why I didn't see him in anything after "City Slickers". He had leukemia for quite awhile. :\'(

IMDb lists 25 post-City Slickers roles for Kirby, including two this year.  Not major roles, but it looks like he kept working pretty much until the end.  Admirable persistence.  Leukemia is a hard way to go.  It doesn't make his passing less sad, but at least he's no longer suffering.

Written By: gmann on 08/18/06 at 11:19 pm

"Is something funny, airman?"

R.I.P.  :(

Written By: Doc Brown on 08/19/06 at 12:17 am

"Is something funny, airman?"

Excuse me, sir? Seeing how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., Shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could wind up an M.I.A., and then we'd all be put on K.P..

I bet you'd like to leave the room now. ;)

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Check for new replies or respond here...