inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Steve Irwin dies at 44

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/04/06 at 12:18 am

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=127458

Subject: Re: Steve Irwin dies at 44

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 09/04/06 at 12:19 am

Man, he has a little child, too. I always thought he was annoying, and his job was stupid. That's really sad, though.

Written By: Wiffle on 09/04/06 at 12:37 am

I heard this on another board... and I thought, it can't be!

Why would we think that though? He did things we would all be chicken to do!

I feel for his family.  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/06 at 12:42 am

Just heard this on the news, so sudden, but he did live an adventurous life.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/04/06 at 12:44 am

So unfortunate, very shocking, he was great guy and had a passion for what he did. RIP  :\'(

Written By: nally on 09/04/06 at 12:45 am

Blimey! The Crocodile Hunter is dead? :o :\'(

After reading the article, I now know why.

It is sad to see anyone go, even if they do things that normal people wouldn't do. :\'( :-[

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/04/06 at 12:51 am

So unfortunate, very shocking, he was great guy and had a passion for what he did. RIP  :\'(

I agree. He was a really cool guy. It's sad to see anyone die so young. :(

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/04/06 at 1:22 am

That really sucks. :'(

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/04/06 at 1:38 am

Oh wow.  Who saw this coming?  RIP.  :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/04/06 at 1:46 am

So sad.  I was a big fan.  I'm terrified of big reptiles, even when I see them on TV!  Mr. Irwin was just the opposite.  He seemed not just unafraid, but fond of the crocodiles and the snakes.  He helped me understand these creatures better.  A 13-foot crocodile is always a menacing sight, even from the safety of your living room television, but Irwin presented them not as "monsters" but as majestic animals worthy of our respect, not just our fear.  

At the same time as Mr. Irwin handled animals that could kill him in the blink of an eye, he was also able to be charming and witty at the same time.  He was a true showman.

Like race car drivers, mountaineers, and firefighters, Mr. Irwin was in a high-risk profession.  I don't think he had any delusions about the risks he took.  This week the odds won out.

I'll miss you, Steve!

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: whistledog on 09/04/06 at 1:49 am

Wow!  This is a shock :o

R.I.P. Steve  :\'(

Written By: saver on 09/04/06 at 2:17 am

Kroikey!!!!!

I believe in KARMA...I think some crocs paid off their buddy 'the stingray'!

RIP :o :o

Oh well, there goes another Dana Carvey impression where people will say: 'Who the HELL is he talking like?'

Written By: jaytee on 09/04/06 at 4:38 am

Steve Irwin will be greatly missed.  He was a fantastic Aussie and was a great environmentalist.  His family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/04/06 at 4:44 am

Ah that's sad, he was a real character!  His little boy probably won't remember him, that's terribly sad.
My condolences to his family.

Written By: La Roche on 09/04/06 at 5:39 am

Loved Steve Irwin.

He was a fantastic entertainer as well as an exceptionally fearless individual.

I watched with utter fascination when he would go in to incredibly dangerous situation,s often just to help an animal that would kill him if it had half a chance.

The epitome of selflessness and a top bloke.

He'll be sadly missed.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/04/06 at 6:07 am

What devastating news... I've been a huge fan of his show for the past several years and I've admired Steve's deep commitment to animal and environmental conservation. He used his incredibly gregarious personality and courageous tactics to not only entertain hundreds of millions of people around the world, but to educate them about the importance of preserving wildlife habitats and protecting endangered animal species. Everyone who knew him loved him, and I know all of the employees of Australia Zoo (who are like family) are beyond shocked and devastated. To die so young... I will pray for his wife Terry and his two beautiful young children, who I know will carry on their father's incredible legacy... :(

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/04/06 at 6:17 am

We got told at work at about 10.30 this morning and I seriously thought they were joking. Then I turned on my radio and heard it for real. I ended up having a sob in the toilets.

I never met Steve but my dad knew him very well and had worked with him on some doco's. So he has shared a lot of stories with me over the years.

What the public never saw on film was the conservation work he did on the quiet behind the scenes. Stuff like buying thousands of hectares of land in WA's northwest just to preserve it and ensure it could never be mined or destroyed. Donating millions of dollars to have native replanting done in national parks. Donating thousands to ensure volunteer wildlife rescuers didnt have to close down their service due to lack of funds (this was how my dad knew him).

He was an animal lover yes - but he was an eco warrior even more.  Its no doubt that at some point in his life this was the way he was going to go - but this was a lot sooner than anyone could have expected. And despite some media reports around the world - he wasnt attacked - he was swimming over the sting ray when the tail went up and the barb hit him in the chest - imapling the heart and causing heart failure. It was an accident.

His wife Terri and kids Bindy and Bob were hiking in remote Tasmania and are being flown to QLD now. They must be devestated. As must Steves dad - they lost Steves mum in a tragic car accident only a couple of yeas ago.

RIP Steve :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/04/06 at 7:18 am

Wow trhis is sad news  :\'( .  Steve is such a cool guy and he definitely was a conservationist and friend of the animals. 8)

In the big picture I guess his passing in this way was ultimately likely, but nevertheless it was still untimely.  Much more work was left for Steve Irwin "The Crocodile Guy" to do.  :-\\

With all due respect to Steve, I wonder if he proclaimed "Crickey!" then that sting ray got him?  :)

Thanks for the learning and the laughs Steve... you were the REAL DEAL.  :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/04/06 at 7:38 am

Very sad!  :\'(    :\'(    :\'(    He was so young.

R.I.P. Steve.

Written By: Stompgal on 09/04/06 at 7:59 am

The DJ Matt James announced the tragic news on the radio this morning because there was a problem with the proper news, but an hour later a newsreader read out the same news. I also saw the news onTV at lunchtime. His programme was parodied on the Wrong Coast as a segment called Crocodile Dundee Hunter.

RIP Steve. You were one of Australia's funniest guys and you will greatly be missed.

Written By: Jessica on 09/04/06 at 9:43 am

My jaw just dropped when I got to my Yahoo main page and saw that. I used to watch his show on the Discovery Channel. I loved how he would get so excited about seeing wildlife and such.

RIP Steve. :\'(

Written By: Gis on 09/04/06 at 10:32 am

Would you believe I've already had my first email joke about it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/06 at 10:33 am

Can you please PM it to me?

Written By: Dagwood on 09/04/06 at 10:34 am

Quite a shocker.  I always joked that a croc would get him, but I didn't think it would really happen.  At least he died doing something he loved.

R.I.P. Steve.  You will be missed.

Written By: Gis on 09/04/06 at 10:35 am

Can you please PM it to me?
I don't know if i should..........actually I can't it's got a picture attached to it and my stupid in house email system won't let me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/06 at 10:36 am

I don't know if i should..........
It will be safe with me, I promise that I will not publically reproduce it anywhere else.

Written By: Schillingfan on 09/04/06 at 10:38 am

I saw his movie- it was really entertaining

Me and other anti-PeTa people were guessing how long it would take PeTa to exploit his death for an ad campaign- and it's something I hope doesn't ever happen to Steve!!

Written By: Abix on 09/04/06 at 11:16 am

Do tell..

Written By: zcrito on 09/04/06 at 11:35 am

Anyone own one of those talking Steve Irwin dolls ?

http://www.toywebb.net/images/talking-steve.jpg

http://animal.discovery.com/sgallery/shopping/crochunter.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/04/06 at 12:48 pm

Yes it is very shocking and very sad. However, he knew the dangers. Maybe he should have stuck with the crocs.

R.I.P.

Cat

Written By: FiFi on 09/04/06 at 12:54 pm

I heard he died cause of the stingrays' stinger puncturing his heart, not the venom...this was so unexpected...he cant be dead...

R.I.P. Crikey!  :\'(

Written By: Roadgeek on 09/04/06 at 1:54 pm

My parents told me this morning. I was never a big fan of his show, but I did like him. He did a lot of very wonderful things and he will be truly missed.

I went to the beach about a month ago and I actually saw a stingray while I was swimming in the ocean (Atlantic).

I also saw his movie a few years ago in the theater.

RIP Steve
:\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: annonymouse on 09/04/06 at 2:07 pm

i've seen him go through so many things on the show. like get venom spat into his eyes. he always seemed so immortal. i didn't think he'd ever die. just writing this, i'm close to tears. :\'(

Written By: danootaandme on 09/04/06 at 4:33 pm

This was one guy who had so much enthusiasm, so much fun, and loved life. It is too sad :\'(

Written By: La Roche on 09/04/06 at 4:40 pm

i've seen him go through so many things on the show. like get venom spat into his eyes. he always seemed so immortal. i didn't think he'd ever die. just writing this, i'm close to tears. :\'(

Yeah, nothing ever seemed to bother him.

The funny thing is, you just know he really wasn't botherd about the fame, it was so refreshing to see somebody who just loved doing his job.

He's a true pop culture icon of this decade, I can't get my head around somebody so strong with such an indomitable spirit being dead.  :(

Let's hope the people he influenced keep up the fantastic work he did, I know they will!

This was one guy who had so much enthusiasm, so much fun, and loved life. It is too sad :\'(

Yes, exactly! It was so obvious that he loved doing what he did, that he loved helping some of the animals that other people didn't want to go near.

I've had a life long fascination with reptiles and Steve's passion and care for them was uplifting to say the least.

Written By: Davester on 09/04/06 at 5:00 pm

Oh, terrible, terrible news.  I'm heartbroken...

We are the richer for having had Steve in this world.  Let's hope we can all take something from his legacy.  This would be the finest tribute we could give him - to love the planet and all the life that lives upon it...

My thoughts, love and best wishes to his family...

:\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/04/06 at 5:13 pm

I appreciated his ecological activism and his conservationism.  I still hate crocs.  Always will!  That's why I'm glad their are guys like Steve who love them.  They play a vital role in their ecosystems.  The authorities used to shoot bothersome crocs.  Mr. Irwin and his crew used to go to great lengths to remove them from recreational areas and relocate them.  

It really annoyed me when all the do-gooders got on his case about that stunt with his infant son and feeding the chicken to the croc.  Steve Irwin could do that because he knew crocodiles.  He was raised around them.  His parents were naturalists too.  He knew crocodilian kinetics so well he knew how to position himself so the croc could not grab him.  He tried to explain, but nobody listened.  Yeah, it was a show-offy thing to do, and if he'd known it would have caused an uproar, he probably would have refrained.  

I don't want to say Irwin was a Tarzan figure because Tarzan carries bad connotations.  But, like the fictitious Tarzan, Irwin seemed to be able to communicate with animals on their level.  I guess it was an ability he developed as he spent his entire life among them.

I too thought he might get nailed by a croc or a poisonous snake.  Accidents happen.  A stingray barb piercing his heart is not something I imagined!

Written By: guest on 09/04/06 at 5:14 pm

Wow...best croc hunter or not, sorry this is after the fact but you would think a 'pro'(him or his partner), would use protection... ala.... police use a bullet proof vest, shark hunters have that mesh so they don't get chomped, if an accident is able to happen, do whatever necessary to make it less dangerous.

We'll have to hear if he was in a diver suit,equipped, ???

Written By: maddog on 09/04/06 at 5:42 pm

It's just so, so sad that a man so obviously committed to a life filled with a passionate desire to publicise and improve the situation for the Earth's threatened wildlife should die in these tragic circumstances  :(  :(.

OK, he was sometimes controversial and his style was not everyone's cup of tea but surely no-one could doubt that he had a big heart and that it was in the right place.

I can't honestly say I was a big fan of his shows but I feel a sense of loss at his passing. The World needs men of passion and commitment like Steve Irwin and we are the poorer without him.

Like so many others have said, I feel so desperately sad for his wife and young family. RIP Steve.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/04/06 at 6:22 pm

I agree with u.... It was a shock.. I mean, he always put himself at risk and he was NUTTY but, that was part of his charm.. i adore animals and I love to watch Animal Planet,, Steve had such a zest for life, that makes u UNforgettable.. He did alot for the plight of animals and he seemed great with Kids.  i feel for his wife and 2 children.. He will be missed... He was 1 of a kind

R.I.P Steve
God Bless
Kelly :\'(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/04/06 at 6:28 pm

I was really shocked by this too. I thought he was very entertaining and enthusiastic and he'll be missed.  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/06 at 12:41 am

I was speaking to an Ozzie yesterday, and he is deep shock. Steve Irwin is a national hero out there.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/05/06 at 12:52 am

Apparently he was able to pull the barb from his chest before he lost consciousness. 

Written By: La Roche on 09/05/06 at 10:24 am

Apparently he was able to pull the barb from his chest before he lost consciousness. 

Tough Bastard!

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/05/06 at 10:46 am

Very sad.  :(

Written By: Carl on 09/05/06 at 10:57 am

I watched this show quite a lot a few years back.He took so many chances, and I always feared this would happen, it is so tragic. A 'Tough Bastard' he was indeed.

RIP  :\'(

Written By: Marian on 09/05/06 at 3:19 pm

bad idea.You're supposed to leave things like that in because they plug the hole.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/05/06 at 5:19 pm

I'm still shocked and saddened when I think of Steve's tragic death...he was so young!  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/05/06 at 5:57 pm

bad idea.You're supposed to leave things like that in because they plug the hole.

In Steve's case, however, he was S.O.L... once you poke a hole through the heart muscle you're screwed.  :-\\

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/05/06 at 6:48 pm

It made no difference.  It pierced his heart.  He was going to die anyway.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/05/06 at 7:40 pm

Plus, it would have prolonged his suffering. Sting rays are painful enough when they hit places other than your heart.

It made no difference.  It pierced his heart.  He was going to die anyway.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/05/06 at 8:14 pm

I have to say, of all the creatures of the world I envisioned being responsible for Steve's death, I never thought a relatively docile creature such as a stingray would lead to his tragic passing...  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/05/06 at 8:20 pm

I have to say, of all the creatures of the world I envisioned being responsible for Steve's death, I never thought a relatively docile creature such as a stingray would lead to his tragic passing...  :\'(

Actually when I was growing up, the TV show Sea Hunt starring Lloyd bridges was running.  On that show somebody was ALWAYS getting speared by a sting ray.  :P

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/05/06 at 8:30 pm

Stingrays are essentially flat sharks.  You can't expect them to be too nice.

Written By: Jessica on 09/05/06 at 9:43 pm

They're docile once you remove the barbs. The Monterey Bay Aquarium has it set up so you can pet them. Sans barbs, of course.

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/05/06 at 9:50 pm

They're docile once you remove the barbs. The Monterey Bay Aquarium has it set up so you can pet them. Sans barbs, of course.

I got to pet a sting ray once.  It was very smooth, kinda like a rubbery pancake or something. ;D

Written By: Jessica on 09/05/06 at 9:52 pm

I got to pet a sting ray once.  It was very smooth, kinda like a rubbery pancake or something. ;D

Yeah, they're pretty cool. I used to love watching them swim around. They looked like those Roomba vacuum cleaners....you know, the ones that propel themselves.

My dad used to fish for sting rays. Got stung plenty, but didn't really care. He has a high tolerance for pain. :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/06 at 9:54 pm

OK, you remove the barbs.  I'll be over here feeding the guppies!

;)

Written By: Jessica on 09/05/06 at 10:04 pm

OK, you remove the barbs.  I'll be over here feeding the guppies!

;)

Hell no. I'll let my dad do it. Like I said, high tolerance. This is the man that pops bones back into place and tells doctors that no painkillers are necessary while slicing an abscess open to drain it. :-X

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/06 at 10:16 pm

Hell no. I'll let my dad do it. Like I said, high tolerance. This is the man that pops bones back into place and tells doctors that no painkillers are necessary while slicing an abscess open to drain it. :-X

No oxycodone for dad, eh?  I couldn't deal with it.  I make my dentist give me extra Novocaine just filling a tooth!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/help.gif

Written By: Jessica on 09/05/06 at 10:22 pm

No oxycodone for dad, eh?  I couldn't deal with it.  I make my dentist give me extra Novocaine just filling a tooth!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/help.gif

Well he takes painkillers now, considering that Workman's Comp. has been dragging their ass on getting him back surgery for the past three years. But I won't get started on that because I'll go all night on how much I hate those f*ckers for destroying my dad's life. :-X

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/06 at 10:43 pm

Well he takes painkillers now, considering that Workman's Comp. has been dragging their ass on getting him back surgery for the past three years. But I won't get started on that because I'll go all night on how much I hate those f*ckers for destroying my dad's life. :-X

My sister had adult-onset scoliosis.  She was in excruciating pain for a couple of years.  She finally had a diskectomy last winter.  And then it took months for the surgical repairs to take full effect.  Man, she got hooked on that oxycodone, but without it she would have been bedridden.  The pharmacists used to treat her like a junkie.  She ended up bitching out one of them, "Look, you got a problem, call my doctor.  I don't get high off this sh*t.  I need it just to take care of my kid and do my job, so you just do your job, Jack, and don't gimme anymore of your grief!"
::)

Written By: Jessica on 09/05/06 at 10:48 pm

My sister had adult-onset scoliosis.  She was in excruciating pain for a couple of years.  She finally had a diskectomy last winter.  And then it took months for the surgical repairs to take full effect.  Man, she got hooked on that oxycodone, but without it she would have been bedridden.  The pharmacists used to treat her like a junkie.  She ended up bitching out one of them, "Look, you got a problem, call my doctor.  I don't get high off this sh*t.  I need it just to take care of my kid and do my job, so you just do your job, Jack, and don't gimme anymore of your grief!"

That sucks ass. I hate when doctors or pharmacists presume the worst. The f*ckers who are "evaluating" my dad's case at Workman's Comp. try to claim that he's only in it for the painkillers. He gets VICODIN, which doesn't do sh*t to alleviate the excruciating pain he's in every day.

Argh. I'm so fed up with those jerks. Each day they sit there, passing judgment on my dad while he tries to get up enough strength to even just sit up proper and visit people. Not to mention that he's going into a deep depression from not being able to work and support his family.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

Written By: whistledog on 09/05/06 at 11:09 pm

Tributes are out already for Steve.  I was looking on YouTube, and there's atleast 5 pages full of tribute videos  :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/06 at 11:17 pm

That sucks ass. I hate when doctors or pharmacists presume the worst. The f*ckers who are "evaluating" my dad's case at Workman's Comp. try to claim that he's only in it for the painkillers. He gets VICODIN, which doesn't do sh*t to alleviate the excruciating pain he's in every day.

Argh. I'm so fed up with those jerks. Each day they sit there, passing judgment on my dad while he tries to get up enough strength to even just sit up proper and visit people. Not to mention that he's going into a deep depression from not being able to work and support his family.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

I had something similar happen to me with one of these here controlled substances.  It was a similar situation, only with Klonopin, an anxiolytic.  See, everything that could go wrong in my life DID go wrong, and it all happened in the span of 30 days.  So in order to get up in the morning and pick up the pieces of the trainwreck without tearing my hair out, I upped the dose without letting the proper authorities know.  BIG mistake.  The pharmaceutical companies developed all these great meds for pain and anxiety, but they're all on controlled schedule, so there's all sorts of liabilities involved.  So the new shrink gets my chart and he inquires, "What's this I see about you abusing Klonopin?"
"I wasn't abusing it.  I needed a little extra to help me avert a crisis.  That's over and I'm no longer taking more than prescribed."
"Well, see that you don't do that again.  I have zero tolerance for the misuse of medications."
"I wasn't misusing it, I...you know something, Doc, I could take twenty bucks down to the packie and buy a new bottle of hooch every day and nobody could say boo about.  That's right, alcohol, a useless and socially destructive drug!  But because some creepy bureaucrats don't want to treat me like an adult, I get the third degree!"

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/05/06 at 11:21 pm

You did misuse the medication.  Whenever medication is not taken in the way it's been prescribed by the doctor, it's considered misuse.  It doesn't matter if it's for a good reason or a bad reason. 

That doesn't mean your doctor should have given you a hard time about it, though.  I think (s)he should have a little more understanding as to why.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/06/06 at 5:14 am

I've heard reports that the film showing Steve's final moments might be released to the media, as per his family's wishes. The footage would be far too gruesome for me to watch, but I realize there is a macabre fascination with death. If his family agrees to allow the footage to be shown, that certainly is their right, I just don't think I could bring myself to watch Steve's final moments...

Written By: star500 on 09/06/06 at 11:03 am

When I woke up on Monday morning the last thing I expected to hear was that Steve Irwin had died. I was totally shocked when my mom called me into her bedroom and told me sadly that Steve Irwin had died. It is a damned shame that he is not with us anymore. He seems to be a really nice person and he is great with animals. I feel so bad for his wife and kids, Bindi and Bob.

I was even more shocked to hear what killed him though--a stingray??? Since when are stingrays vicious killers? They are normally very docile creatures and wouldn't hurt anyone.

I watched Larry King on CNN last night (Tuesday night) and they were talking to his best friend John, as well as other people, and poor John almost couldnt talk, he was so grief-stricken. I know eventually his family and friends will get through it but it will take a long time.

R.I.P. Steve Irwin...a great man with a infinite love for animals.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/06/06 at 11:09 am

indeed a very sad story. :\'(  Correct me if I am wrong....wasn't he the one that once dangled his baby over a crocodile? ???

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/06/06 at 11:32 am

indeed a very sad story. :\'(  Correct me if I am wrong....wasn't he the one that once dangled his baby over a crocodile? ???

Yes, you're correct.  He had his baby in front of the crocodile, dancing him around.  I was mad when I saw that!!

Written By: Roadgeek on 09/06/06 at 1:21 pm

It sure was a shock to me when I heard about Steve's death. I remember 3 years ago when John Ritter died. That was a shocker too.

Written By: guest on 09/06/06 at 2:37 pm

I guess SAFETY wasn't part of Stewve's lifestyle.

Although many people are saddened, my first instinct was to ask 'why didn't he have a protective diving vest on'?

If you go anywhere near sharks, you wear repellant or chained material for them not to bite through, you go into space, you have your 'backup' oxygen in case one fails or the tether tube is cut.
I saw some underwater footage of him and he just had on a simple mask and his khaki gear.

WOOPS....I also used to hear, if pierced in a vital organ..leave whatever in place as to pull it out would cause worse damage as Steve pulled it out...who knows if that would be the case here??    

Now we all learned a good lesson in his ending.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/06/06 at 2:46 pm

^ That would have been well and good if it had went through his lung or one of his kidneys, but it went through his heart.  He was fuct one way or the other.

He probably could have been more careful, but hindsight is 20/20 eh?

RIP Steve.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/06/06 at 9:32 pm

You did misuse the medication.  Whenever medication is not taken in the way it's been prescribed by the doctor, it's considered misuse.  It doesn't matter if it's for a good reason or a bad reason. 

That doesn't mean your doctor should have given you a hard time about it, though.  I think (s)he should have a little more understanding as to why.

Sister, I'm not as think as you dumb I am!
;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/06/06 at 9:37 pm

Yes, you're correct.  He had his baby in front of the crocodile, dancing him around.  I was mad when I saw that!!

You or I couldn't do that safely.  Mr. Irwin could.  He was expert enough to know how a croc can move and when it's going to move.  No harm came to him or the child.

Irwin's death by a stingray barb was quite a different circumstance.

Written By: Jessica on 09/06/06 at 9:42 pm

I guess SAFETY wasn't part of Stewve's lifestyle.

Although many people are saddened, my first instinct was to ask 'why didn't he have a protective diving vest on'?

If you go anywhere near sharks, you wear repellant or chained material for them not to bite through, you go into space, you have your 'backup' oxygen in case one fails or the tether tube is cut.
I saw some underwater footage of him and he just had on a simple mask and his khaki gear.

WOOPS....I also used to hear, if pierced in a vital organ..leave whatever in place as to pull it out would cause worse damage as Steve pulled it out...who knows if that would be the case here??    

I HIGHLY doubt a protective vest would have protected him from a STINGRAY'S serrated barb. And leaving the barb in would have still killed him...hello, it was in his heart. Heart + sharp object = BAD.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/06/06 at 9:59 pm

I HIGHLY doubt a protective vest would have protected him from a STINGRAY'S serrated barb. And leaving the barb in would have still killed him...hello, it was in his heart. Heart + sharp object = BAD.

I wonder what the last words going through his mind were.  I doubt "crikey" was one of them!

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/06/06 at 10:15 pm

Local radio station WDVE ran an "editorial" in which they said that Steve ultimately died because he continually teased Mother Nature.

Written By: Jessica on 09/06/06 at 10:19 pm

I wonder what the last words going through his mind were.  I doubt "crikey" was one of them!

Probably along the lines of, "Stupid fish..."

Local radio station WDVE ran an "editorial" in which they said that Steve ultimately died because he continually teased Mother Nature.

Yeah, the marine biologists at the Aquarium in Monterey were saying something like that. THAT coming from people who hold animals in captivity to "study" them. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/06/06 at 10:24 pm

Well, we all tease Mother Nature, and Mother Nature will always have the last laugh!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/turtle.gif

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/07/06 at 2:31 pm

Apparently, Steve's family do not wish for the video footage capturing his last moments made available to the public for viewing, which is a good thing:

http://www.nbc10.com/news/9799239/detail.html

Written By: Davester on 09/07/06 at 4:27 pm

Apparently, Steve's family do not wish for the video footage capturing his last moments made available to the public for viewing, which is a good thing:

http://www.nbc10.com/news/9799239/detail.html

Have been scanning the Ogrish forums with no luck.  If anyone gets ahold of images or footage, it will be those sickos, due to someone at Queensland P.D. leaking it groove ;) on...

Edited to add:  Someone should at least stage the video so we can debate it's authenticity...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/07/06 at 7:14 pm

Steve Irwin, rest in peace.

I've watched his show many times, very educational as well as entertaining.

What has really made me ticked off is when AOL opened up a messageboard for condolences to be posted...the nasty people showed up in droves, bashing..saying some pretty awful things I don't want to repeat here. But what can one expect. tragedy seems to attract AOL's flamers like mosquitos to the porch light. >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/06 at 7:55 pm

Have been scanning the Ogrish forums with no luck.  If anyone gets ahold of images or footage, it will be those sickos, due to someone at Queensland P.D. leaking it groove ;) on...

Edited to add:  Someone should at least stage the video so we can debate it's authenticity...

I haven't been to Ogrish for a while.  Been too stressed out lately for that scene!
"Hey kids! Here's a video of a filipino boy getting run over by a truck!"
"Kew-el! Knocks him about 10 feet off his bike, you see the front wheel crush his skull!"
Now, let's go "rate" the naked bodies of female murder victims...
Woops, look at the time, better go or I'll be late to church!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hiding.gif

"We also have to work the dark side, if you will. We have to spend time in the shadows.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/07/06 at 11:55 pm

Steve Irwin, rest in peace.

I've watched his show many times, very educational as well as entertaining.

What has really made me ticked off is when AOL opened up a messageboard for condolences to be posted...the nasty people showed up in droves, bashing..saying some pretty awful things I don't want to repeat here. But what can one expect. tragedy seems to attract AOL's flamers like mosquitos to the porch light. >:(

I know what u mean, I never ever post the thoughts on AOL, the people on there make me SICK

Written By: Davester on 09/08/06 at 2:21 am

I haven't been to Ogrish for a while.  Been too stressed out lately for that scene!
"Kew-el! Knocks him about 10 feet off his bike, you see the front wheel crush his skull!"

"We also have to work the dark side, if you will. We have to spend time in the shadows.”—
Vice President Dick Cheney
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/vampa.gif

How'd you know my routine.?!  Heh...

An oft repeated sentiment on the Ogrish forums: Squishy-heads are fun..!  :-\\

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/darth_vader_cheney.jpg

Give yourself to the dark side *muhuhahaha..!*

go ;)...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/08/06 at 5:56 am

Kinda tells me a lot that your first thought isn't "I feel for his wife and small children" but actually "Let's point out how stupid he is!". 

Serrated barb + pierced through heart = death. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/08/06 at 10:45 am

^ Well, to give credit where it's due, if I switched jobs with Steve Irwin, I woulda been eaten alive on the first day!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/imu2.gif

Written By: Schillingfan on 09/08/06 at 10:42 pm

"We also have to work the dark side, if you will. We have to spend time in the shadows.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/06 at 2:06 am

I found an archived thread from that forum where they posted photos (the photos didn't show up-thank god) and case information on unidentified deceased people- including my pet case. The unidentified dead- any kind, would probably freak out if they only knew who was looking at their autopsy photos! I really think they deserve something much better than being looked at on a gore site- they deserve to have their cases aired more often on TV to see if someone knows them!!

I'm afraid the gore sites see no need for "respect."  All that matters is how much they can get away with, and how much you can stand!
:-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/09/06 at 2:24 am

I'm afraid the gore sites see no need for "respect."  All that matters is how much they can get away with, and how much you can stand!

Its not just the gore sites.

A couple years ago I bought a DVD of the movie "Wonderland".  As an added bonus they included real-live crime scene footage of the brutal quadruple murder scene (which was the subject of the film), including close-ups of the victims, all who were bludgeoned with striated lead pipes.

In the recent "X-Box Murder Case" in Deltona Beach Florida, the murderers were have said to have watched Wonderland the night before their sextuple murder spree.  The ringleader said "I want to do what they did", referring to the thugs who did the Wonderland murders.

Grody stuff to be sure.  :P

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/09/06 at 2:32 am

Once, a couple years ago, a local drive-in had a marathon (stay all night) feature (I think it was in the middle of Labor Day weekend or something).  Anyways, you did not know what movies they were showing, other then the two they showed all week long, the other two movies were "surprises".  The first two were family oriented fare, cartoons as I recall (although I can't remember what they were now), the third movie (the first surprise) was Faces of Death (I have not idea which one).  I was parked next to a car filled to the bring with a family (Mom, Dad and a passel of kids), I was really surprised that they'd do the extreme from the cartoons when possibly children were still there, awake and watching.

Written By: Powerslave on 09/09/06 at 3:29 am

Well I haven't been here for a long time, but I knew I'd have to come and make a comment about this. I heard about Steve's death from the telephone technician who'd come to connect me at my new place. I flicked straight to a news channel and could hardly believe it. It's still very difficult to imagine a man who was so full of life to be no more. He had an immense impact on popular culture worldwide and I can only hope that his legacy lasts far longer than his lifetime.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl Guest on 09/09/06 at 7:55 am

Well I haven't been here for a long time, but I knew I'd have to come and make a comment about this. I heard about Steve's death from the telephone technician who'd come to connect me at my new place. I flicked straight to a news channel and could hardly believe it. It's still very difficult to imagine a man who was so full of life to be no more. He had an immense impact on popular culture worldwide and I can only hope that his legacy lasts far longer than his lifetime.

Nice to see you here Powerslave.

My office held a khaki day yesterday - we all wore the closest things to khaki that we had - and we raised $5000 for Steve's wildlife warriors foundation.

His provate funeral was held earlier tonight.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/06 at 3:35 pm

Its not just the gore sites.

A couple years ago I bought a DVD of the movie "Wonderland".  As an added bonus they included real-live crime scene footage of the brutal quadruple murder scene (which was the subject of the film), including close-ups of the victims, all who were bludgeoned with striated lead pipes.

In the recent "X-Box Murder Case" in Deltona Beach Florida, the murderers were have said to have watched Wonderland the night before their sextuple murder spree.  The ringleader said "I want to do what they did", referring to the thugs who did the Wonderland murders.

Grody stuff to be sure.  :P

Despicable.  First become a psychopathic murderer, and then give the censorhip monkeys ammo for their war on free press.  It's just like when Ted Bundy blamed pornography.  I don't care what you watch, if you go out and murder people, you were a sicko and a ticking time bomb to start with. 
I don't ascribe much social good to gore sites, but my visits to them have served to remind me just how violent real violence is (as opposed to TV violence), and just how dead dead really is!  Some people will say, "Oh you watched that video of the 7-11 clerk getting gunned down, you're sick!"  Just because you didn't see it doesn't make it any less real.  Sure, you hear the guy trying to scream for help while his lungs fill up and he drowns in his own blood....does that make you want to go out and play with guns, kid?
:o

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/12/06 at 3:33 am

Kinda tells me a lot that your first thought isn't "I feel for his wife and small children" but actually "Let's point out how stupid he is!". 

Serrated barb + pierced through heart = death. 
>:( How rude of you...Steve Irwin was an expert on all animals..the stingray was covered in sand..as they do to protect themselves from predators such as sharks...He did not see it..or he would have avoided the situation...He knew all the risks...He was not STUPID...He was the most intelligent wildlife expert among all in the world...It was a freak accident..I take GREAT offense to your remarks as I am sure his wife and whole family would...If you have any knowledge of his history then you should be ashamed of your comments.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/12/06 at 3:35 am

First heard about this Monday afternoon last week. The first of 2 Australian legends to die in one whole week... such a tragedy. My feelings are with their family during this time.  :\'(

Written By: Davester on 09/12/06 at 3:48 am

>:( How rude of you...Steve Irwin was an expert on all animals..the stingray was covered in sand..as they do to protect themselves from predators such as sharks...He did not see it..or he would have avoided the situation...He knew all the risks...He was not STUPID...He was the most intelligent wildlife expert among all in the world...It was a freak accident..I take GREAT offense to your remarks as I am sure his wife and whole family would...If you have any knowledge of his history then you should be ashamed of your comments.

She wasn't calling Stevo stupid, GREEN67, she was paraphrasing an earlier "guest" posting... :)

Written By: Schillingfan on 09/12/06 at 9:38 am

I agree- but I still think that they deserve better

Here's an "In Memory" with 23 pages dedicated to the identified persons on The Doe Network- it shows a reconstruction or 2 along with a few photos of them in life (this link sometimes doesn't work): http://www.angelfire.com/blues/meyahna/in_memory/?i=0

Written By: Chica on 09/12/06 at 11:40 am

The First Time I heard about it i was lying in bed listening to the radio. I heard it and ran to my parents room. Later on my mother told my little brother and he cried because there wont be anymore "Croc man"  He is really sad and everytime he sees a memorium on tv about it he watches the whole thing, and when we try to change the channel he freaks out and says he is trying to say goodbye to "croc man".
He has a daughter named after his first Croc "Bessa" i think?  and a son....Bob. Who is only about 1 and a half so he will not remember his father.  :\'(

Written By: Schillingfan on 09/12/06 at 2:29 pm

The First Time I heard about it i was lying in bed listening to the radio. I heard it and ran to my parents room. Later on my mother told my little brother and he cried because there wont be anymore "Croc man"  He is really sad and everytime he sees a memorium on tv about it he watches the whole thing, and when we try to change the channel he freaks out and says he is trying to say goodbye to "croc man".
He has a daughter named after his first Croc "Bessa" i think?  and a son....Bob. Who is only about 1 and a half so he will not remember his father.   :\'(

Steve's daughter is named Bindi

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/12/06 at 4:23 pm

I agree- but I still think that they deserve better

Here's an "In Memory" with 23 pages dedicated to the identified persons on The Doe Network- it shows a reconstruction or 2 along with a few photos of them in life (this link sometimes doesn't work): http://www.angelfire.com/blues/meyahna/in_memory/?i=0

I agree.  But most people don't get they deserve in life, never mind death.

Check for new replies or respond here...