inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Conductor/Composer Paul Mauriat (81) dies

Written By: FaultyDog on 11/06/06 at 1:09 pm

French conductor/composer Paul Mauriat has died on November 3, 2006 at the age of 81.

Among his best known recordings are "El Bimbo", "Toccata" and "Penelope", but of course he will always be remembered for his rendition of "L'Amour Est Bleu" ("Love Is Blue") which held the #1 spot for 5 weeks in US.

Mauriat also co-wrote "Chariot", better known as "I Will Follow Him".

Subject: Re: Conductor/Composer Paul Mauriat (81) dies

Written By: whistledog on 11/06/06 at 1:20 pm

R.I.P. Mr. Mauriat  :\'(

I like Toccata, and is that "I Will Follow Him" as in the 60s hit by Little Peggy March?  That is always a fun song :)

Written By: Paul on 11/06/06 at 1:49 pm

...is that "I Will Follow Him" as in the 60s hit by Little Peggy March?

Certainly is, but you won't find his proper name on the credits because he used the pseudonym 'Del Roma'...

Before Peggy got hold of it, it was a major hit on the continent for Petula Clark who sung it in French...

More surprisingly, it became a hit in Britain...where we nearly always insist that everything is sung in English!

Written By: nally on 11/06/06 at 9:38 pm

Oh my goodness...I was just thinking about his best-known hit ("Love Is Blue") earlier today.

81...he lived a good long life. RIP Paul. :\'(

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/09/06 at 9:41 am

Love is Blue is one of my fave instrumentals. Why am I so late in hearing this news?

RIP Mr. Mauriat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/09/06 at 2:45 pm

Love is Blue is one of my fave instrumentals. Why am I so late in hearing this news?

I just heard about it myself... :-\\

Thanks for the great music, Mr. Mauriat...

Written By: statsqueen on 03/23/07 at 11:51 am

French conductor/composer Paul Mauriat has died on November 3, 2006 at the age of 81.

Among his best known recordings are "El Bimbo", "Toccata" and "Penelope", but of course he will always be remembered for his rendition of "L'Amour Est Bleu" ("Love Is Blue") which held the #1 spot for 5 weeks in US.

Mauriat also co-wrote "Chariot", better known as "I Will Follow Him".

I know, I know, late to the party again....but I didn't know we had lost him and I have some wonderful stuff he did, including La Vie En Rose,  San Francisco, Sur Un Air Du Vivaldi, Last Tango in Paris, Merci Cherie, Je T'Aime Moi Non Plus, and L'aigle noir '70.

Written By: Henk on 03/23/07 at 2:08 pm

I'd almost forgotten about this thread. Very kind of you to revive it. Let me hand you some karma. :)

I know, I know, late to the party again....

Not much of a party, more of a funeral. ;)

but I didn't know we had lost him and I have some wonderful stuff he did, including La Vie En Rose,  San Francisco, Sur Un Air Du Vivaldi, Last Tango in Paris, Merci Cherie, Je T'Aime Moi Non Plus, and L'aigle noir '70.

To be honest, I don't know Paul Mauriat or his music very well. The main reason I started this thread (yes, I was FaultyDog in a former life) was because I had just before used "Love Is Blue" in one of my quizzes. His death was just a footnote in international news (well, not even that!), and I felt like it deserved some more attention.

Written By: statsqueen on 03/23/07 at 2:16 pm

I'd almost forgotten about this thread. Very kind of you to revive it. Let me hand you some karma. :)

Not much of a party, more of a funeral. ;)

To be honest, I don't know Paul Mauriat or his music very well. The main reason I started this thread (yes, I was FaultyDog in a former life) was because I had just before used "Love Is Blue" in one of my quizzes. His death was just a footnote in international news (well, not even that!), and I felt like it deserved some more attention.

Funny!  :P  You know what I meant.  I hadn't even heard!!!  Thank you for the kind words, but given the "warning message" about the time lapse from the last posting, I wasn't even sure it would go up!  The songs I mentioned in my previous post are the only ones I have.  La Vie En Rose is my fave of them.  They were given to me by a friend of mine from Cameroon (former French colony, so I got a lot of French music from him).  Thank you for giving him the attention he deserves.  I'm just sorry I found this site and your posting so late!!!  Thanks for the karma.  :)

Written By: Henk on 03/23/07 at 2:32 pm

Funny!  :P  You know what I meant.  I hadn't even heard!!!  Thank you for the kind words, but given the "warning message" about the time lapse from the last posting, I wasn't even sure it would go up! 

As long as a thread/subject hasn't been archived, you can still post a reply - even when the thread hasn't been posted in in months.

The songs I mentioned in my previous post are the only ones I have.  La Vie En Rose is my fave of them.  They were given to me by a friend of mine from Cameroon (former French colony, so I got a lot of French music from him).  Thank you for giving him the attention he deserves.  I'm just sorry I found this site and your posting so late!!!  Thanks for the karma.   :)

It's never too late to pay tribute to somebody. And it's never too late to join this board. :)

Written By: statsqueen on 03/23/07 at 2:37 pm

As long as a thread/subject hasn't been archived, you can still post a reply - even when the thread hasn't been posted in in months.

It's never too late to pay tribute to somebody. And it's never too late to join this board. :)

You are too kind.  Do you prefer to be called Henk or FaultyDog?  Do you really support the Dutch Formula 1 Racing Team or did you just like the photo?  (I didn't know they had a racing team)

Written By: Henk on 03/23/07 at 2:45 pm

You are too kind.  Do you prefer to be called Henk or FaultyDog? 

Henk is my real name, and I've been using that name on this board for quite some time, so I prefer to be called Henk.
(Although on other messageboards you might still find me going by the name of FaultyDog)

Do you really support the Dutch Formula 1 Racing Team or did you just like the photo?  (I didn't know they had a racing team)

I'm a supporter, by lack of a better word. It's not like I travel around the globe to see the team in action (much better view on the telly!), or donate money to keep them driving or anything. I'm just proud to see my country represented in Formula 1, basically.
The Dutch Formula 1 Team was formed last year, when Dutch car manufacturer Spyker bought the remnants of the Minardi Team, so it's a very young team.

Written By: statsqueen on 03/23/07 at 2:48 pm

Henk is my real name, and I've been using that name on this board for quite some time, so I prefer to be called Henk.
(Although on other messageboards you might still find me going by the name of FaultyDog)

I'm a supporter, by lack of a better word. It's not like I travel around the globe to see the team in action (much better view on the telly!), or donate money to keep them driving or anything. I'm just proud to see my country represented in Formula 1, basically.
The Dutch Formula 1 Team was formed last year, when Dutch car manufacturer Spyker bought the remnants of the Minardi Team, so it's a very young team.

I like Henk better (but how did you come up with FaultyDog?)  :)  That is cool that they have a team.  I have 2 friends in the Netherlands, but we seem to have lost touch.  Tom was working in one of the ministries for a while, but I haven't talked to either of them for over a year.  :( 

I just found this site yesterday.    ;D  Thank you for replying (so kindly) to my postings.

Written By: Henk on 03/23/07 at 3:10 pm

I like Henk better

Thank you, I like it too. ;)

(but how did you come up with FaultyDog?)   :)

I'm not quite sure myself... I think I might have originally spotted the name somewhere else on another messageboard over two years ago, when I first joined (although that was written as two separate words). It also reminds me of Fawlty Towers (one of the funniest tv series ever made IMHO).
It's got nothing to do with me being doglike, anyway.

That is cool that they have a team.

I'm not expecting much of them, this season - just to finish the races would be nice. (Which they already failed to do...)

I have 2 friends in the Netherlands, but we seem to have lost touch.  Tom was working in one of the ministries for a while, but I haven't talked to either of them for over a year.   :( 

Looks like you've just found a third friend. :)

I just found this site yesterday.    ;D  Thank you for replying (so kindly) to my postings.

Exciting, isn't it? All this new stuff and tons of topics to read....you just don't know where to start! :D

I'm sure you'll find your way around (we all have).

I myself don't post very much (lack of time and/or interest), but I am a regular in the Quizzes section. ;)

Written By: statsqueen on 03/23/07 at 3:13 pm

Thank you, I like it too. ;)

I'm not quite sure myself... I think I might have originally spotted the name somewhere else on another messageboard over two years ago, when I first joined (although that was written as two separate words). It also reminds me of Fawlty Towers (one of the funniest tv series ever made IMHO).
It's got nothing to do with me being doglike, anyway.

I'm not expecting much of them, this season - just to finish the races would be nice. (Which they already failed to do...)

Looks like you've just found a third friend. :)

Exciting, isn't it? All this new stuff and tons of topics to read....you just don't know where to start! :D

I'm sure you'll find your way around (we all have).

I myself don't post very much (lack of time and/or interest), but I am a regular in the Quizzes section. ;)

Haven't seen the Quizzes section.  Sounds challenging...  Well, if you are in there more than this topic and hardly post at all, then I am doubly grateful you took time to respond to my posts.  Thank you kind sir  :)

Written By: Henk on 03/23/07 at 3:31 pm

Haven't seen the Quizzes section.  Sounds challenging...  Well, if you are in there more than this topic and hardly post at all, then I am doubly grateful you took time to respond to my posts.  Thank you kind sir   :)

You're welcome. :)

I've just checked my profile to see that my average post count is about 10.8 posts a day. I didn't realize it was that low.
I could easily raise that average by posting in the Penguin Board Games section, but I prefer to only post in those topics that really have my interest.

Written By: statsqueen on 03/23/07 at 3:50 pm

You're welcome. :)

I've just checked my profile to see that my average post count is about 10.8 posts a day. I didn't realize it was that low.
I could easily raise that average by posting in the Penguin Board Games section, but I prefer to only post in those topics that really have my interest.

Always go for quality over quantity!  ;D

Written By: statsqueen on 03/23/07 at 4:04 pm

Henk,

Can I ask you something since you seem to have been around these boards a while?  I'm not complaining, mind you, but how did I go from "Wheezy" to "McVitie" (which, being Celtic, I like much better)?  I'm just wondering.  My work day is done, but I will try to check boards before I go to bed (which will be early tonight since I have to be at the high school at 5:00 a.m. to drive my daughter to her Forensics tournament 2 hrs away)

Thanks for a lovely afternoon.

Written By: Henk on 03/23/07 at 4:12 pm

Henk,

Can I ask you something since you seem to have been around these boards a while?  I'm not complaining, mind you, but how did I go from "Wheezy" to "McVitie" (which, being Celtic, I like much better)?  I'm just wondering.  My work day is done, but I will try to check boards before I go to bed (which will be early tonight since I have to be at the high school at 5:00 a.m. to drive my daughter to her Forensics tournament 2 hrs away)

It's just a ranking system based on your post count. All ranks are named after (supposedly famous) penguins. There must be a topic on the subject somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

Thanks for a lovely afternoon.

Thanks for a lovely evening.

Written By: statsqueen on 03/23/07 at 8:50 pm

It's just a ranking system based on your post count. All ranks are named after (supposedly famous) penguins. There must be a topic on the subject somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

Thanks for a lovely evening.

Thank you for your patience and time, Henk.  I don't know who came up with the idea of penguins, but I love it.  :)  I hope you have a wonderful weekend.  I hope to exchange posts with you again.

Written By: Henk on 03/24/07 at 2:11 am

Thank you for your patience and time, Henk.  I don't know who came up with the idea of penguins, but I love it.   :) 

That would be Charles Grosvenor III  (aka Chucky G), the man who keeps us all sane this site up and running.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend.  I hope to exchange posts with you again.

Looking forward to that. :) I'll be out of town the better part of the Saturday, but you probably won't even notice given the time difference.

Written By: Henk on 03/24/07 at 2:35 am

This is it:

-25: Wheezy
25+: McVitie
50+: Pingu
100+: Pengo
200+: Bud Ice Penguin
500+: Nestor le Pingouin
1,000+: Tuxedo Sam
5,000+: Badtz Maru
10,000+: Feathers McGraw
15,000+: Chilly Willy
25,000+: Opus

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/07 at 2:37 am

This is it:

100,000+: I am a geek!!

Written By: statsqueen on 03/24/07 at 3:02 am

This is it:

Thanks for all the trouble you went to, Henk.  I'll be gone all day, too, but like you said...major time difference so maybe we'll catch up later!  :)  (It's 4 a.m. here right now...who is up at this hour?????)

Written By: statsqueen on 03/24/07 at 3:03 am

;D  Nah, just  8) cool like that!  It just means you are social and knowledgeable, right?    :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/07 at 3:22 am

;D  Nah, just  8) cool like that!  It just means you are social and knowledgeable, right?    :D
I think so.

Written By: Henk on 03/24/07 at 1:51 pm

You're still an Opus, Philip. The only thing is your post count doesn't show anymore. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/07 at 2:09 pm

You're still an Opus, Philip. The only thing is your post count doesn't show anymore. ;)
Oh yeah!

Written By: statsqueen on 03/24/07 at 7:14 pm

Oh yeah!

Philip, is that a live webcam of somewhere in Europe or just the same area done at different times?  I have seen it on a lot of people's posts, but with different cars at a different time of day.  I'm in the US, so it's nothing I've seen here.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/07 at 7:18 pm

Philip, is that a live webcam of somewhere in Europe or just the same area done at different times?  I have seen it on a lot of people's posts, but with different cars at a different time of day.  I'm in the US, so it's nothing I've seen here.   :)
It can all be read here, The Abbey Road Webcam

Written By: statsqueen on 03/24/07 at 8:02 pm

It can all be read here, The Abbey Road Webcam

Cool!  Thank you very much for taking the time to send me to the link!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/07 at 8:03 pm

Cool!  Thank you very much for taking the time to send me to the link!
No problem

Check for new replies or respond here...