inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Green Lantern creator dies

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/12/06 at 3:20 pm

Martin Nodell, creator of Golden Age Green Lantern, dead at 91

Rest in peace, and thank you for creating one of the greatest comic book superheroes of all time.

Subject: Re: Green Lantern creator dies

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/12/06 at 3:28 pm

I'm very sad to hear this, the Green Lantern is probably the coolest superhero in the DCU aside from Batman.  :\'(

R.I.P.

At least he led a good, long life.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/12/06 at 3:37 pm

he created an awesome dude, that's for sure! ;)

Written By: Davester on 12/13/06 at 12:27 am

The Golden Age Green Lantern was killed-off (purged) from the D.C. Universe in the "Crisis" series..?

I'd like to read that series again...

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/13/06 at 12:29 am

No, the Golden Age Green Lantern, Alan Scott, eventually relinquished his power ring and adopted the name of Sentinel and still wields GL-like powers, although it seems he has absorbed the Starheart into his body rather than manifesting it through his ring.  The Silver Age GL, Hal Jordan, has come and gone many times but now looks as if he's here to stay.  That's the beauty of the comic book world, popular characters never truly stay dead :D

Written By: Davester on 12/13/06 at 12:48 am

Shows how long I've been out of the loop.  Apparently, the transformation came on the heels of "Crisis", right about the time I traded away ALL my beloved comics for Van Halen tickets...

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/13/06 at 2:08 am

Well guys, now you have to figure in the new Infinite Crisis/One Year Later story arc which has once again altered the DCU. Its not a near-total restart like the original Crisis back in the 80s, but its once again retconned and changed a lot of things. For example, Batman: Year Two revealed the killer of Bruce Wayne's parents, Joe Chill, who was known in the pre-Crisis continuity but until that point had been unknown post-Crisis. This story was later retconned out around 1994, therefore making it to where the killer of Wayne's parents was once again unknown in current coninuity. However Infinite Crisis/OYL has once again revealed Chill to be the killer. In addition its apparently undone the retcon of the "Son of the Demon" story arc, in which Batman had a son with Talia al Ghul. Hes surfaced now and his name is Damien apparently(the arc is called "Batman & Son"). Also its been revealed that Zatanna has been altering the minds of JLA members, including Batman, and that was the root cause of Batman's increasing paranoia and well, aholeishness over the past few years. Post-Infinite Crisis/OYL hes gone back to being more like the heroic detective Batman of the Engelhart/Adams/O'Neal era in the 70s, rather than the psycho Frank Miller Batman we've had since the late 80s. :D

Written By: Marian on 12/14/06 at 1:53 pm

No, the Golden Age Green Lantern, Alan Scott, eventually relinquished his power ring and adopted the name of Sentinel and still wields GL-like powers, although it seems he has absorbed the Starheart into his body rather than manifesting it through his ring.  The Silver Age GL, Hal Jordan, has come and gone many times but now looks as if he's here to stay.  That's the beauty of the comic book world, popular characters never truly stay dead :D
not to mention the Green lantern corps. 8)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/14/06 at 2:43 pm

I think that Kilowog is back and they might have some straggling GLs that Hal Jordan didn't kill off from 10 years ago back to start up the GL Corps again :)

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/14/06 at 3:30 pm

I think that Kilowog is back and they might have some straggling GLs that Hal Jordan didn't kill off from 10 years ago back to start up the GL Corps again :)

Oh okay I wasn't sure how the new retcon was going to affect GL.

Written By: Marian on 12/16/06 at 4:41 pm

hard to tell.Maybe not all of the GLs are known.

Check for new replies or respond here...