inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mike Evans, "Lionel" from The Jeffersons, Passes Away...

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/23/06 at 6:18 pm

Mike Evans, the actor who played the role of "Lionel" in All in the Family, and then reprised the role, twice, in The Jeffersons, has passed away at the young age of 57.  :\'(

He was a different sort of young black man in a TV series in the 1970's.  Instead of being cast as a thug, or a poor person, he was cast as a kid who wanted to go to college and be an Electrical Engineer.

And when he dealt with Archie Bunker you could tell he was on top of things.

With him, Tom Willis(Franklin Cover), Helen Willis (Roxie Roker) and Weezy (Isabel Sanford) now passed away, I guess that ends all hope for a "Jeffersons" reunion show.  :-\\

Little known tidbit:  He was co-creator of the other groundbreaking urban comedy, Good Times

RIP Mike, you were one cool cat.  :)

Subject: Re: Mike Evans, "Lionel" from The Jeffersons, Passes Away...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/23/06 at 7:09 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tearyeyed.gif

One cool cat, indeed!  Sad to hear of his passing.  "Lionel" was a great foil for "Archie."

Archie:  Come on, why would youse people want to live in this neighberhood?  There ain't a chicken shack or a rib jernt in miles!
Lionel: No ribs?  What is weez gwan do!

The joke about the electrical engineer was classic because Archie never got it.  He'd always ask when Lionel came over, and Lionel would reply in the stereotyped accent:
"Well, Mistah Bunkah, I wants to be an elect'cal engeeah!"
And then Meathead would get irritated with Lionel for playing into Archie's bigotry. 

Lionel was also a good foil for George, who was constantly jumpy and paranoid.

The best All in the Family episode with Lionel was when Archie found out his niece was going out dancing with him.  In that episode, Lionel finally dumps his coy manner and really tells Archie off!

The Lionel character was much weaker on the The Jeffersons.  The problem wasn't Evans' acting, it was the scripting.  The Lionel character was best with the racial dynamics of the AITF scripts.

RIP Mike Evans.
:\'(

Written By: Snoopygirl on 12/23/06 at 7:56 pm

Wow! Man, that's a shocker. :\'(

I was just watching Season 3 of AIIF today and the episode where Lionel was dating Archie's niece was on it. Never thought I'd come on here later and hear the news. Any news on what it was from?
I liked his arguments with Archie esp with the electrical engineer. Just the face on Archie when he used to say it used to crack me up.
RIP Mike.  :\'(

Written By: Snoopygirl on 12/23/06 at 8:38 pm

I just looked on Sitcoms Online and it said he was suffering from throat cancer.

Written By: whistledog on 12/23/06 at 10:51 pm

R.I.P. Mr. Evans  :\'(

I loved his wisecracking manner towards Archie

Written By: Cheetara on 12/26/06 at 6:45 pm

Oh no!  Lionel is dead?!  Say it isn't so!  Mr. Evans will be missed.  May he rest in peace... :\'(

Written By: Invincible on 12/26/06 at 11:23 pm

RIP Mike :\'(

Written By: kellygoo72 on 12/31/06 at 11:49 pm

:\'(  I remember hearing something about someone from The Jeffersons passing.. May he rest in peace.. He was priceless on AITF!

Check for new replies or respond here...