inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: James Brown has died

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/25/06 at 1:58 am

James Brown, recognized as one of the most influential figures in 20th century music, has died.

:\'(

Subject: Re: James Brown has died

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/25/06 at 1:59 am

WTF!

Link please?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/25/06 at 2:06 am

Said he had pneumonia...CNN breaking news just confirmed it :(

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/25/06 at 2:26 am

WTF!

Link please?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061225/ap_on_en_mu/obit_brown

I was just about to put this in the Music section.  He died on Christmas....of all days for the family.  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/25/06 at 2:27 am

WTF!

Link please?

Said he had pneumonia...CNN breaking news just confirmed it :(

The BBC did confirm it as pneumonia after been admitted in to hospital the previous day.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/25/06 at 3:06 am

have not looked at the news, but will now do so to view this sad event  :\'( 

Written By: Jessica on 12/25/06 at 3:42 am

Damn.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/25/06 at 3:56 am

He only performed at the Brits in London last month.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/25/06 at 5:33 am

Sadsadsad day in musical history.  This will put a damper on the Holiday.    :\'(

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/25/06 at 5:52 am

RIP, Mr. Godfather of Soul...  :-[

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/25/06 at 6:55 am

Sadsadsad day in musical history.  This will put a damper on the Holiday.    :\'(
I believe it was around Christmas Time when Dean Martin died?

Written By: danootaandme on 12/25/06 at 7:15 am

I believe it was around Christmas Time when Dean Martin died?

Yes.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/25/06 at 8:14 am

I read this after opening presents this morning... so instead of Christmas music (ugh) I stuck in my greatest hits collection.  Probably should have put Live at the Apollo in there, but this seemed more fitting.

Truly a force in the music world that will be missed.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/25/06 at 8:36 am

What a shock to wake up to.  Rest in Peace, Mr. Brown. 

Written By: KKay on 12/25/06 at 8:47 am

That's sad. But the world was lucky to have him...

Subject: Re: James Brown is dead

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/25/06 at 10:15 am

Well, it looks like L.A. Style, 1991 was finally proven right.

(One ticket to hell please, but someone had to say it.)

James Brown didn't stop at being the godfather of soul.  With Funky Drummer as the most sampled backbeat in history, he was arguably the godfather of every genre of dance music.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/25/06 at 12:10 pm

I read this after opening presents this morning... so instead of Christmas music (ugh) I stuck in my greatest hits collection.  Probably should have put Live at the Apollo in there, but this seemed more fitting.

Truly a force in the music world that will be missed.

Amen.  This is as big a loss to the world of popular music as the deaths of Elvis, John Lennon, and Frank Sinatra.  It's hard to boil James Brown's influence on soul, rock, funk, blues, and hip hop down to just a couple of sentences.  I guess the best way is to imagine what popular music would be like if there had been no James Brown.  It's not just music, it's stageshow and dancing, think of everybody from David Bowie to Prince to Tina Turner to Mick Jagger!  James Brown truly was the Godfather of Soul!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tearyeyed.gif

R.I.P.
JAMES BROWN
1933-2006

http://images.quizfarm.com/1113761178Brown.jpg
JAMES BROWN
(as the Reverend Cleophus James in "The Blues Brothers")

"The Blues Brothers" was the first place I ever saw James Brown.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/25/06 at 12:19 pm

It is truly sad. We lost a legend.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Paul on 12/25/06 at 1:21 pm

It is truly sad. We lost a legend.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Utterly tragic, considering he was in fine health until just recently... :(

We may have lost the man, but thankfully, we still have the grooves...

RIP 'Soul Brother'...

Written By: spaceace on 12/25/06 at 8:03 pm

RIP, oh great "Godfather of Soul".  We'll miss you. :\'(

Written By: zcrito on 12/25/06 at 10:17 pm

To be honest, I was never a James Brown music fan. He's sort of like Prince to me, way more song dislikes than likes.

His 1972 song "King Heroin" was one of few songs by him I do like, but I'll always remember the way he danced on stage with his fancy footwork and those those acrobatic splits he could do were always impressive (how did he do that?)

Some think my adventure is a joy and a thriller
But I'll put a gun in your hand and make you a killer

King Heroin

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/25/06 at 10:42 pm

He was a legend and will be sorely missed.  :(

Written By: Invincible on 12/26/06 at 2:43 pm

Let's not forget the REST of the story: In spite of his return to the limelight, by the late 1980s, Brown met with a series of legal and financial setbacks. In 1988, he was arrested following a high-speed car chase down Interstate 20 in Augusta. He was imprisoned for threatening pedestrians with firearms and abuse of PCP, as well as for the repercussions of his flight. Although he was sentenced to six years in prison, he was eventually released in 1991 after having only served three. A new album called Love Overdue was released that same year, with the new single "Move On".

During the 1990s and 2000s, Brown was repeatedly arrested for drug possession and domestic abuse.

Full story here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Brown

Written By: danootaandme on 12/26/06 at 4:16 pm

Let's not forget the REST of the story: In spite of his return to the limelight, by the late 1980s, Brown met with a series of legal and financial setbacks. In 1988, he was arrested following a high-speed car chase down Interstate 20 in Augusta. He was imprisoned for threatening pedestrians with firearms and abuse of PCP, as well as for the repercussions of his flight. Although he was sentenced to six years in prison, he was eventually released in 1991 after having only served three. A new album called Love Overdue was released that same year, with the new single "Move On".

During the 1990s and 2000s, Brown was repeatedly arrested for drug possession and domestic abuse.

Well who would imagine a celebrity doing this kind of stuff  ::) 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/26/06 at 5:16 pm

What was this supposed to accomplish?  He's dead, and we're sorry he's gone as he was a great entertainer.  A lot of celebrities do stupid sh*t.  This isn't news.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/26/06 at 5:21 pm

What was this supposed to accomplish?  He's dead, and we're sorry he's gone as he was a great entertainer.  A lot of celebrities do stupid sh*t.  This isn't news.

You tell him... or her...or whatever.  There aren't too many celebrities that would stand up as models of propriety. Jeez, if you can't separate the art from the person you won't be listening to anything.

Written By: deadrockstar on 12/26/06 at 5:51 pm

^Definitely.

R.I.P. to the hardest working man in show business :(

Written By: Brian06 on 12/26/06 at 5:53 pm

R.I.P. James Brown. You will be missed.  :(

Written By: Cheetara on 12/26/06 at 6:41 pm

I'm sad to hear that the legendary James Brown has passed away.  He influenced so many artists like Michael Jackson, Prince, Usher, Ginuwine, etc...  My heart goes out to his family and close friends.  :\'(

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/26/06 at 8:21 pm

This was a shock just because he was such a legend and a unique performer.

I always liked a few of his songs, like "I Feel Good", "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag", and his '80s comeback "Living in America".

RIP J.B. :(

Written By: velvetoneo on 12/26/06 at 8:41 pm

Without James Brown, there would be no Sly and the Family Stone. Without Sly and the Family Stone, there would be no funk. Without funk, there would be no disco. Without disco, there would be no rap, dance-pop, electronica, new wave, and really most of the non-guitar rock popular music since 1980. To James Brown: one of the most influential musical performers of the 20th century.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/26/06 at 8:43 pm

Without James Brown, there would be no Sly and the Family Stone. Without Sly and the Family Stone, there would be no funk. Without funk, there would be no disco. Without disco, there would be no rap, dance-pop, electronica, new wave, and really most of the non-guitar rock popular music since 1980. To James Brown: one of the most influential musical performers of the 20th century.

Agreed.

Despite the fact that he wasn't a rock artist per se, I even think he had some influence on them. Particularly his performing style. He probably had some impact on Jimi Hendrix and Prince too.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/26/06 at 9:32 pm

Never a fan....but it's a shame that he passed away.

Written By: Invincible on 12/26/06 at 11:11 pm

Never a fan....but it's a shame that he passed away.
agreed

Written By: Invincible on 12/26/06 at 11:18 pm

threatening pedestrians with firearms, oh, okay. Many celebrities have done THAT :D And when OJ, Bobby Brown or Phil Specter dies you'll probably be praising them as well ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/26/06 at 11:25 pm

threatening pedestrians with firearms, oh, okay. Many celebrities have done THAT :D And when OJ, Bobby Brown or Phil Specter dies you'll probably be praising them as well ::)

I guess you didn't read what Danoota said, because if you had, you wouldn't have posted this nonsense.  I am well aware of the evil things those people have done.  However, he was a great entertainer, he made great music, and I am sorry that a MUSICIAN like him is no longer here.  I don't condone the things he did off the stage, no one here has. 

We're talking about the MUSIC that he made, and how influential he was in the MUSIC AREA.  If you want to start a thread saying we should not mourn the loss of his talent, then by all means....go for it.  Otherwise, save it.

Written By: Invincible on 12/26/06 at 11:31 pm

I guess you didn't read what Danoota said, because if you had, you wouldn't have posted this nonsense.  I am well aware of the evil things those people have done.  However, he was a great entertainer, he made great music, and I am sorry that a MUSICIAN like him is no longer here.  I don't condone the things he did off the stage, no one here has. 

We're talking about the MUSIC that he made, and how influential he was in the MUSIC AREA.  If you want to start a thread saying we should not mourn the loss of his talent, then by all means....go for it.  Otherwise, save it.
OMG, I'm convinced. You are right. OJ was great at football and yet he murdered 2 people so I guess we should all honor him for his football records and turn a blind eye to him being a killer. I'm sorry to disagree but I don't think mean people should be "Honored".

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/26/06 at 11:33 pm

OMG, I'm convinced. You are right. OJ was great at football and yet he murdered 2 people so I guess we should all honor him for his football records and turn a blind eye to him being a killer. I'm sorry to disagree but I don't think mean people should be "Honored".

No one is saying that a blind eye should be turned to anything.  Go read Danoota's post please.  I think you need to. 

Furthermore, why do you keep posting in this thread, if you don't like what the thread is about?  Seems rather counterproductive........wouldn't you say?

Written By: Invincible on 12/26/06 at 11:37 pm

No one is saying that a blind eye should be turned to anything.  Go read Danoota's post please.  I think you need to. 

Furthermore, why do you keep posting in this thread, if you don't like what the thread is about?  Seems rather counterproductive........wouldn't you say?
Just expressing MY opinion. I have that right. Sorry that it's not popular. Peace, OUT ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/26/06 at 11:39 pm

Just expressing MY opinion. I have that right. Sorry that it's not popular. Peace, OUT ;)

Oh please.  We're talking about honoring his musical legacy (which is rather large) and you're coming down on people saying that based on what he did in his personal life, we should just hope he rots.  It's silly.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/26/06 at 11:42 pm

wow...not to change the subject..but I haven't seen anyone use that blue font in a long time. :o

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/26/06 at 11:43 pm

wow...not to change the subject..but I haven't seen anyone use that blue font in a long time. :o

I think this is one of those rare moments when going off-topic is necessary.  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/26/06 at 11:46 pm

I think this is one of those rare moments when going off-topic is necessary.  ;D

it just shocked me for a moment...an old member used to always post in blue....so when I saw that, I was like...oh, um? ;D

Written By: Invincible on 12/26/06 at 11:50 pm

What? No Doc?

Written By: Invincible on 12/26/06 at 11:51 pm

Oh please.  We're talking about honoring his musical legacy (which is rather large) and you're coming down on people saying that based on what he did in his personal life, we should just hope he rots.  It's silly.
Based on only his personal life, you Don't hope he rots??

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/26/06 at 11:52 pm

What? No Doc?

huh? ???

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/26/06 at 11:53 pm

There's far worse people in this world that I hope suffer that fate.  Make your own thread decrying his existence and your hope he burns in hell. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/26/06 at 11:53 pm

huh? ???

I hope this isn't some reg in disguise. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/26/06 at 11:57 pm

I hope this isn't some reg in disguise. 

seems like it, doesn't it?

Written By: Invincible on 12/26/06 at 11:58 pm

There's far worse people in this world that I hope suffer that fate.  Make your own thread decrying his existence and your hope he burns in hell. 
right you are. you go girl. RIP James

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/26/06 at 11:59 pm

right you are. you go girl. RIP James

I don't need to patronized.  Thanks, but no thanks.

Written By: Invincible on 12/27/06 at 12:01 am

I don't need to patronized.  Thanks, but no thanks.
you are MORE than welcome. Here's to you and here's to me, but if we ever disagree, F*ck you and here's to me.....just kidding so get over it....I did ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 12/27/06 at 12:02 am

Uh....what?

Written By: Brian06 on 12/27/06 at 12:04 am

The guy just died, let him Rest in Peace.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/27/06 at 3:55 am

It seems that this thread honouring the life of James Brown is getting out of hand, so in respect of the Godfather of Soul I am locking this thread.

Check for new replies or respond here...