inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Slew of important deaths at the end of 2006

Written By: 1993 on 01/09/07 at 12:58 am

Let's see we had Peter Boyle, James Brown, Gerald Ford, Saddam Hussein, Lamar Hunt, Pinochet, Jeane Kirkpatrick, Robert Altman....all seemed to pass on in the last couple of weeks before 2007.

I brought this up with my mother and she she took her usual superstitious/old wives take on things...."It's the grim reaper swinging back at the end of the year to hurriedly finish up on all the notables that he almost allowed to live out year....it's a rush job basically"

She claims that at the end of every year the reaper comes to take those who he liked the most...any old Joe Shmoe who he's ambivalent towards can go at any time...but he usually has favorites go at the very end. This can include celebrities or regular people. Also, people who die at the end of a year usually tend to have premonitions that the end is near. They may have already caught a glimpse of the reaper in a dream, or in split second in the corner of there eye when they thought somebody was there...

anybody hear of these kind of superstitions?

Subject: Re: Slew of important deaths at the end of 2006

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/09/07 at 1:05 am

Before this discussion begins, can it be stated that Robert Altman died on November 20th 2006 and not within the last two weeks of 2006, and that Saddam Hussein was an enforced death which could had been at anytime.

Written By: 1993 on 01/09/07 at 1:17 am

november counts! so does saddam, doesn't matter if it was "enforced"...if you believe in destiny that is. It may seem like his death was at the whim of others.....

Written By: Gis on 01/09/07 at 10:39 am

More people die in the winter months it's very common, it's cold and there are lots of bugs and viruses going round.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/09/07 at 11:05 am

More people die in the winter months it's very common, it's cold and there are lots of bugs and viruses going round.
...and hypothermia?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/09/07 at 11:13 am

The whole in threes thing, it's just a coinidence.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/09/07 at 12:46 pm

I have never heard of any superstitions but I have noticed that there does seem to be a bunch of deaths around the end of each year.

Cat

Written By: nally on 01/21/07 at 9:14 pm

I have never heard of any superstitions

Neither have I...at least not related to this.

but I have noticed that there does seem to be a bunch of deaths around the end of each year.

I can't think of very many deaths near the end of '05, but I do remember quite a few at the beginning of '06: Lou Rawls, Wilson Pickett, among others.

Check for new replies or respond here...