inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Calvert DeForest (a.k.a. Larry "Bud" Melman)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/22/07 at 1:38 am

Just found this out, I always thought he was awesome. Apparently he'd been ill for quite some time and his last appearance on Letterman was 4 years ago.

R.I.P. Calvert, I'll bet God has a big smile on his face right now.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-070321deforest-obit,1,5174167.story?coll=chi-entertainmentfront-hed

Subject: Re: Calvert DeForest (a.k.a. Larry "Bud" Melman)

Written By: whistledog on 03/22/07 at 1:44 am

Very sad indeed.  I loved seeing him on Letterman.  Those black glasses he always wore were great.

R.I.P. Calvert.  You were a great actor! :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/22/07 at 8:48 am

This is really sad news, really cool people is starting to get really old, or dying off.  :\'(

Rest in peace, Calvert, you'll be sadly missed.

Written By: Snoopygirl on 03/22/07 at 7:38 pm

Calvert was great on Letterman! He always cracked me up.
I loved the one where he was interviewing a woman and when he was asking the questions to her, halfway thru it he pointed the microphone at her and you couldn't hear him. Then when she started to answer, he took the microphone away and you couldn't hear her.
R.I.P. Calvert, you were one of a kind :)

Written By: nally on 03/28/07 at 11:19 pm

I vaguely remember him...but all the same, it's sad to see him go.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/30/07 at 6:13 pm

I forgot to post this myself.  I was a huge Larry "Bud" Mehlman fan!  I just hadn't seen him in over a decade.  I didn't even know he was still alive...until Keith Olbermann announced his demise.
:\'(

I didn't catch on to Letterman until '85.  The first Larry sketch I saw was called "Larry 'Bud' Headroom."  Remember Max Headroom?  Well, you can imagine!  Larry also did a number of sketches as a character called "Kenny" (Kenny the gardener, Kenny the janitor, Kenny the cab driver and what have you).  "Kenny" was like Larry, just more combative and obnoxious.  "OK, Letterman, YOU won the first round!  This is the United States of America, I'm going to get in my Cadillac Seville and drive away...."  Something like that. 

I also remember the microphone gag.  How could I forget? It had me in stitches, hyperventilating! 

One of my favorite Larry lines was, "You look like the kind of guy who enjoys a nice cigar.  Unfortunately, this is the only kind I have!"  In anybody else's hands, that joke would be lame.  It wasn't so much what Larry said, it was the way he said it!

Actually, the first place I saw Calvert DeForest, before I knew who he was, was Run-DMC's "King of Rock" video.  He played the curator:
"Hey, this is a rock 'n' roll museum, YOU guys don't belong in here! HA HA HA!"
;D

I wish Elton John would pay tribute with a version of "Candle in the Wind,"
"Good-by Larry Bud...."

Written By: nally on 03/30/07 at 6:24 pm

I wish Elton John would pay tribute with a version of "Candle in the Wind,"
"Good-by Larry Bud...."

That would be interesting...he's already paid tribute to Mari Monroe and Princess Di

Check for new replies or respond here...