inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kitty Carlisle Passes Away

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/18/07 at 7:00 pm

Kitty Carlisle Hart, of "To Tell the Truth" game show panel fame, bit it today.

RIP... :(

Subject: Re: Kitty Carlisle Passes Away

Written By: whistledog on 04/19/07 at 2:42 am

This is very sad news.  I was too young for the original TTTT, but I have seen clips, and she was an important part of that show.  She will be missed

R.I.P. :(

Written By: danootaandme on 04/19/07 at 4:38 am

Her part in the world of the arts in New York cannot be overstated.  As Kitty Carlisle, and as Mrs. Moss Harte, her influence will be missed   :\'(

Written By: nally on 04/19/07 at 11:22 pm

I read an obit about this in the L.A. Times this morning. She lived a long life. 96 years, that's something.

This is very sad news.  I was too young for the original TTTT, but I have seen clips, and she was an important part of that show.  She will be missed

R.I.P. :(

I was too young for the original 4T as well, but I have seen clips from Outrageous Game Show Moment specials with her as a panelist. :)

Written By: KKay on 04/19/07 at 11:36 pm

I feel like I saw her every day of my life until I was bout ten yhears old.

Written By: Tia on 04/19/07 at 11:41 pm

:-[

i never heard of her.

Written By: KKay on 04/19/07 at 11:43 pm

:-[

i never heard of her.

You're missing out. She was like the society-mom celecbrity.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/20/07 at 5:57 am

You're missing out. She was like the society-mom celecbrity.

Yes.  Early on in her career she did some decent movies and whatnot.  Then in her 50's, she hit the game show circuit and most of her fans knew her only for that.

She and Durward Kirby were the Paris Hilton's of TV at the time.  Enormous fame but few knew them for anything other than, well, being famous.  Durward of course was famous as a second banana to Allan Funt.

Written By: danootaandme on 04/20/07 at 8:34 am

She and Durward Kirby were the Paris Hilton's of TV at the time.  Enormous fame but few knew them for anything other than, well, being famous.  Durward of course was famous as a second banana to Allan Funt.

There isn't any way she should be compared to Paris.  Can you see Paris at the Sorbonne?  She kicked butt while serving on various arts councils in New York City.  She was classified as a "Living Landmark" may the New York Landmarck Conservancy and inducted into the Theater Hall of Fame for her work.  Kitty was all class.

Here is an excerpt, you can read the rest on this link.

www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/18/obit.hart.ap/index.html?eref=rss_mostpopular

Hart was born Catherine Conn in New Orleans, Louisiana, on September 3, 1910. She attended the Sorbonne in France, the London School of Economics and the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London, England.

The entertainer was also a tireless advocate for the arts, serving 20 years on the New York State Council on the Arts. In 1991, she received the National Medal of Arts from the first President Bush....

Hart's late husband was the Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Moss Hart, who wrote "You Can't Take It With You" and "The Man Who Came to Dinner" with George S. Kaufman and won a Tony for directing "My Fair Lady" on Broadway...

She served on the state arts council from 1971 to 1996, including 20 years as its chairwoman. In 1988, she testified in Albany to a legislative committee amid complaints that the council had funded gay-oriented projects.

"We fund art," she said. "We are neutral as far as anyone else is concerned. We don't fund anyone's point of view"....

Hart's special concern for women's role in society led to her appointment as chairwoman of the Statewide Conference of Women and later as special consultant to New York Gov. Nelson Rockefeller on women's opportunities. She also moderated a TV series called "Women on the Move."

Check for new replies or respond here...