inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Charles Nelson Reilly Passes On...

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/28/07 at 7:08 am

Just heard on the news that Charles Nelson Reilly, the "flamboyant" participant in counless Match Game and Hollywood Squares game show episodes, bit it yesterday.

CNR was 78. 

RIP Charles.  :\'(  Contestants are waiting for you in that great Game Show in the sky...  :)

Subject: Re: Charles Nelson Reilly Passes On...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/28/07 at 1:40 pm

Bummer. I always liked him. Most people are not aware that he got his start Broadway, won a Tony for his role in "How to Success in Business..." and was in the original production of Hello Dolly (where he had a Tony nom).  I also liked him in Lidsville, too. But, we all know him best on Match Game. I'm sure he is now having a great time with Gene Rayburn.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

R.I.P.

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/28/07 at 1:43 pm

I remember him well from Match Game.  Rest in peace, Mr. Reilly.  :(

Written By: whistledog on 05/28/07 at 1:43 pm

R.I.P. Mr. Reilly :(

He also used to appear on 'The $25,000 Pyramid' and 'Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour' which is where I mostly remember him from.  I only ever saw 'Match Game 7X / Match Game PM' via GSN reruns

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/28/07 at 1:49 pm

I only ever saw 'Match Game 7X / Match Game PM' via GSN reruns

I remember watching episodes of Match Game during the time they first came out, in the 1970's.  It was a very clever game show, and Charles Nelson Reilly added a lot to it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/28/07 at 1:57 pm

I remember watching episodes of Match Game during the time they first came out, in the 1970's.  It was a very clever game show, and Charles Nelson Reilly added a lot to it.

Me too. Of course at the time, I didn't "get" half the jokes. Now watching on GSN, I "get" them.  :D

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 05/28/07 at 2:26 pm

:\'(

Written By: statsqueen on 05/28/07 at 3:25 pm

The banter between he and Brent Sommer (sp?) was great.  RIP    :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/28/07 at 4:09 pm

The banter between he and Brent Sommer (sp?) was great.  RIP    :\'(

When I was a kid watching The Match Game I thought that Charles and Brett had a "thing" for each other and he was getting some on the side.  :-[

It was not until years later that I figured out thet she was not exactly his type.

Written By: statsqueen on 05/28/07 at 4:21 pm

When I was a kid watching The Match Game I thought that Charles and Brett had a "thing" for each other and he was getting some on the side.  :-[

It was not until years later that I figured out thet she was not exactly his type.

I know what you mean.  But then I also found out that they drank between and during taping (everyone).  I think that might have explained a lot, too.  :)

Thanks for the clarification on Brett's name....I was drawing a complete blank and haven't watched it on GSN for quite a while.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/28/07 at 4:37 pm

When I was a kid watching The Match Game I thought that Charles and Brett had a "thing" for each other and he was getting some on the side.  :-

I know what you mean.  But then I also found out that they drank between and during taping (everyone).  I think that might have explained a lot, too.  :)

Thanks for the clarification on Brett's name....I was drawing a complete blank and haven't watched it on GSN for quite a while.

Yeah, they were all drunk on that show-one big party.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/28/07 at 8:01 pm

Rest in pecae, Charles.

You will be sadly missed.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/29/07 at 6:05 pm

I'm really sad to see that he passed away - I just love him.  :\'(

Written By: nally on 05/31/07 at 3:07 pm

I just found out about this today. Poor guy; he'll be greatly missed. :\'( :\'( And by the way, he was only 76.

I, too, enjoyed him on "Match Game 7_" (the underscore can be filled in with any digit).

Written By: Doc Brown on 06/01/07 at 10:04 am

When I was a kid watching The Match Game I thought that Charles and Brett had a "thing" for each other and he was getting some on the side.  :-Well, he wasn't her type, either, Charles was g@y and Brett was Gene Rayburn's wife!
There's one for the Trivial Pursuit files. ;)

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/01/07 at 3:31 pm

Well, he wasn't her type, either, Charles was g@y and Brett was Gene Rayburn's wife!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Brett was/is Jack Klugman's wife.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/02/07 at 7:38 pm

Well, he wasn't her type, either, Charles was g@y and Brett was Gene Rayburn's wife!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

I thought that Brett was married to Jack Klugman? ???

Written By: statsqueen on 06/03/07 at 1:11 pm

Got this from Answers.com after using google:

Somers was married to actor Jack Klugman and had a recurring role as Klugman's ex-wife Blanche on his hit show The Odd Couple. She made guest appearances on many TV shows, including Battlestar Gallactica, The Fugitive and The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Somers and Klugman were married in 1953. They later separated, but never divorced. In a 2003 interview with the TheaterMania website, Somers said, "We haven't lived together for -- God, I don't know how many years. But neither of us will ever get married again. Jack is a man who never should have been married, but he's very dear and I love him."

Written By: teababe27 on 06/06/07 at 4:32 pm

:\'( RIP Charles.

Check for new replies or respond here...