inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Character Actor Charles Lane Dead at 102

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/11/07 at 6:16 pm

You may not recognioze his name but you'll likely know his face.  Actor Charles Lane, the oldest member of the Screen Actors Guild, bit it today at the ripe age of 102.  He was a master at playing the cranky old businessman, especially in the 1950s and 1960s.

RIP Charles.  You did it right...  :)

From IMDb.com:

Character Actor Charles Lane Dies at 102

Charles Lane, a character actor who first appeared in films in 1931 and eventually made more than 300 movies and TV shows, died Monday in Santa Monica, CA at age 102. He had roles in such classics as It's a Wonderful Life, Arsenic and Old Lace, Call Northside 777, You Can't Take It With You, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, and Mr. Deeds Goes to Town. He made frequent appearances in different roles on the I Love Lucy TV show, including the episode that drew virtually the entire nation -- when Lucy gave birth to a boy. (He played the role of the expectant father waiting with Ricky in the hospital waiting room.) Lane remained active until the end. His final credit was as narrator of last year's The Night Before Christmas. He reportedly is the subject of an unfinished documentary, You Know the Face.

Subject: Re: Character Actor Charles Lane Dead at 102

Written By: statsqueen on 07/11/07 at 6:30 pm

RIP Mr. Lane, thanks for some memorable characters.  :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/12/07 at 1:28 pm

Another sad loss to the movie industry.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/12/07 at 4:08 pm

I remember seeing him all the time in movies and on television.  I loved him.  RIP Mr Lane

Written By: whistledog on 07/12/07 at 4:29 pm

I saw him as Mr. Bedloe on 'Petticoat Junction' and in a small role in 'Murphy's Romance'.  I somehow thought he'd already passed.  102 is a very long life

R.I.P. to a great actor

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/07 at 1:29 am

I remember seeing his name on IMdb about five years ago and thinking, "Wow, he's getting up there!"
He narrated the "Night Before Christmas" at age 101!
I remember his characters from "Sybil" and "The Winds of War," but we've all seen him in a dozen or more programs/films whether we realized it or not!
http://imdb.com/name/nm0485272/

He was about the same age as my grandfather, who died in January of 2006 at age 100.

Check for new replies or respond here...