inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mr. Butch- The King Of Kenmore Square

Written By: danootaandme on 07/13/07 at 6:07 pm

Mr Butch, Harold Madison, Jr., (1951 – July 12, 2007) The King of Kenmore Square has died.  This is his Wiki entry.  Most everyone who knew him had a soft spot for him.

In the mid- to late-1970s, Butch was often seen on the streets near the Berklee College of Music, playing a Fender Stratocaster guitar, with an open tuning that allowed him to play chords with a single finger. His wild dreadlock hairstyle and choice of guitar invited comparisons to Jimi Hendrix.
During the 1980s, Mr. Butch's fame among the local music scene grew, and he was given gigs at The Underground in Allston and The Rathskellar in Kenmore Square (both now defunct). It was around this time that he began to be featured in The Noise, a local music fanzine published by T Max, and was featured in many of their advertisements. Mr. Butch is mentioned in the liner notes to local hardcore punk compilation Bands That Could Be God, which featured, among others, Deep Wound (pre-Dinosaur Jr.), as the man to whom the compilation would be dedicated had he been on God's other side. Mr Butch is also featured in the art work for the CD compilation I've Got My Friends. It features a combination of Boston and San Francisco punk bands, including The Unseen, Dropkick Murphys, The Outlets, The Ducky Boys, Swingin' Utters, The Working Stiffs, and Showcase Showdown.
Mr. Butch also played out from time to time with his band Mr. Butch and the Holy Men which was Mr. Butch ("god") backed up by a rotating cast of musicians. In 1984, they opened for the legendary SF punk band Flipper at the now long closed Channel club on Boston's waterfront. Despite the efforts of a number of Boston recording engineers and musicians, no recordings of this band exist or have yet surfaced.
In the late 1990s, the Boston University campus police, extending their authority over Kenmore Square, exiled Mr. Butch to Allston, a neighborhood of Boston west of the Square. Butch sought refuge where he could find it, sleeping in friends' homes and occasionally in ATM lobbies. He often played his guitar and penny whistle.
Mr. Butch was involved in a serious scooter accident on July 12, 2007 and was admitted to the intensive care unit at Brigham and Women's Hospital, where he later died. Memorial services are to be held at Ritual Arts in Allston on July 16th at 8:00pm.

Subject: Re: Mr. Butch- The King Of Kenmore Square

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/07 at 1:23 am

We might be the only two who know who Mr. Butch was. 

He was certainly a celebrity of Boston subculture.  I did not know until I read those articles how many people knew him over the years.

:\'(

Subject: Re: Mr. Butch- The King Of Kenmore Square

Written By: danootaandme on 07/15/07 at 12:35 pm

We might be the only two who know who Mr. Butch was. 

He was certainly a celebrity of Boston subculture.  I did not know until I read those articles how many people knew him over the years.

:\'(

They had to postpone the memorial, too many people, they need a larger venue.  Who'd a thunk it!

Check for new replies or respond here...