inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mayor Won't Proclaim Ike Turner Day

Written By: KKay on 07/20/07 at 12:11 pm

Talk about asking for alot!  St. Louis turned down Ike's reuqest.

From article-
Mayor Francis Slay has turned down a request to make Sept. 2 "Ike Turner Day." The 75-year-old singer is scheduled to perform that day at the Big Muddy Blues Festival.

Cathy Smentkowski, an aide to Slay, said that when the request "was brought to the mayor's attention, he did not feel comfortable issuing it." She declined to elaborate.

"We were only looking to celebrate his contributions to the music industry. Many entertainers have checkered pasts," festival director Dawne Massey told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "He helped put St. Louis rhythm and blues on the map."

Turner's past troubles include a 17-month stint in jail on a 1990 drug conviction.

He was depicted as a violent and abusive husband in "What's Love Got to Do With It," a 1993 movie about ex-wife Tina Turner's life. In his 1999 autobiography, he disputed the movie's characterization of him.

Subject: Re: Mayor Won't Proclaim Ike Turner Day

Written By: La Roche on 07/20/07 at 1:26 pm

Talk about asking for alot!  St. Louis turned down Ike's reuqest.

From article-
Mayor Francis Slay has turned down a request to make Sept. 2 "Ike Turner Day." The 75-year-old singer is scheduled to perform that day at the Big Muddy Blues Festival.

Cathy Smentkowski, an aide to Slay, said that when the request "was brought to the mayor's attention, he did not feel comfortable issuing it." She declined to elaborate.

"We were only looking to celebrate his contributions to the music industry. Many entertainers have checkered pasts," festival director Dawne Massey told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "He helped put St. Louis rhythm and blues on the map."

Turner's past troubles include a 17-month stint in jail on a 1990 drug conviction.

He was depicted as a violent and abusive husband in "What's Love Got to Do With It," a 1993 movie about ex-wife Tina Turner's life. In his 1999 autobiography, he disputed the movie's characterization of him.

Eh, Slay can do whatever he wants, he's doing a great job with the most awful circumstances imaginable. For the first time in decades people have started to move back in to the city because of the work Slay has done. Interestingly enough, Michael Bloomberg has been heavily involved with the redevelopment of St. Louis city as well as Thomas Menino, who I'm not so keen on.

Anyway - Ike Turner is a butthead and I'm quite content for his redundant accomplishments to not be recognized or applauded.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/07 at 7:26 pm

Might as well declare St. Louis Wifebeater Day" (and I don't mean tanktops).

I never thought it was fair what happened to Ike.

What what what?

No, I don't condone domestic battery.  Not under any circumstances.

All I'm saying is Ike Turner wasn't the first or last R&B man to beat up on his woman, he's just the only one who got infamous for it!
::)

Written By: La Roche on 07/21/07 at 1:15 am

Might as well declare St. Louis Wifebeater Day" (and I don't mean tanktops).

We call that Sunday.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/21/07 at 12:24 pm

We call that Sunday.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sign10.gif

Written By: La Roche on 07/21/07 at 5:31 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sign10.gif

Well, you've got Jefferson County just to the south, rednecks with brass knuckles.. then you've got ESTL to the East.. just.. not even worth mentioning.. and then you've got North County to the North, which is basically ESTL, but with more Mexican gangs.

Written By: whistledog on 07/21/07 at 8:51 pm

Ike Turner day?  I don't think St. Louis would want a "beat up your wife day"

Written By: La Roche on 07/21/07 at 9:07 pm

Ike Turner day?  I don't think St. Louis would want a "beat up your wife day"

I keep telling everyone, we already have one!

Sunday, after lunch.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/21/07 at 10:05 pm

Well, you've got Jefferson County just to the south, rednecks with brass knuckles.. then you've got ESTL to the East.. just.. not even worth mentioning.. and then you've got North County to the North, which is basically ESTL, but with more Mexican gangs.

Hey, the East Saint Louis - Granite City - Venice area is great.  They got some nice Gentleman's Clubs over there.  ;)

Written By: La Roche on 07/21/07 at 10:44 pm

Hey, the East Saint Louis - Granite City - Venice area is great.  They got some nice Gentleman's Clubs over there.  ;)

Dude, I live all of about 3 miles from Sauget. The stripper to population ratio is great, like 1 stripper to every 5 people.  ;D

Written By: Green Lantern on 07/21/07 at 10:56 pm

Dude, I live all of about 3 miles from Sauget. The stripper to population ratio is great, like 1 stripper to every 5 people.  ;D

1 stripper to every 5 people

Wow, Davey, there must be a lot of graffiti vandals 'in your neck of the woods!'
http://www.ezkleen.net/images/coating1.gif

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/iba0234l.jpg
;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/23/07 at 6:58 pm

Ever been to PT's in Venice? ???

Written By: La Roche on 07/23/07 at 7:10 pm

Ever been to PT's in Venice? ???

Nah, it's pretty rare that I ever end up near Granite City.

Check for new replies or respond here...