inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tammy Faye Bakker Messner Passes Away...

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/21/07 at 8:44 pm

Tammy's battle with lung cancer ended today with her passing.

RIP, Tammy...  :(

Subject: Re: Tammy Faye Bakker Messner Passes Away...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/21/07 at 8:47 pm

that's really sad. She was always an eccentric lady...but I felt really bad for her, having to battle this disease.

RIP Tammy Faye. :(

Written By: whistledog on 07/21/07 at 8:50 pm

R.I.P. Tammy Faye :\'(

Written By: danootaandme on 07/22/07 at 5:42 am

She was just so weird, you had to end up liking her.  RIP Tammy  :(

Written By: spaceace on 07/22/07 at 5:54 am

Yeah, she was pretty hip.  RIP Tammy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/07 at 7:30 am

She was just so weird, you had to end up liking her.   RIP Tammy   :(

You said it! 
Tammy Faye battled colon cancer since 1996.  She might have been the butt of jokes for her wild makeup and outfits, but underneath that she was a strong lady. 

Jim Bakker did some bad stuff; however, the way they were punished was unwarranted, and the people who really crucified the Bakkers in the '80s were televangelist competitors, especially Jerry Falwell.  Falwell conned them and then cheated them out of their assets, and he was no one to cast the first stone. 

Anyway, sorry to see Tammy Faye go.  I hope she's in a better place now, relieved from the suffering of cancer.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 07/22/07 at 8:02 am

Tammy Faye fought a long, hard and courageous battle for the past eleven years to defeat her cancer, and she did it with a smile on her face and love in her heart. I knew the end was very near when I saw her appearance on Larry King the other day, and I prayed that God would spare her any more suffering. Rest in peace, Tammy Faye...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/22/07 at 12:12 pm

I must admit that I never cared for her. I always called her Tammy Baye Fakker. (And yeah, I laugh about the tee shirt, "I ran into Tammy Faye at the mall" which had a smudge of stuff that was supposed to be make-up) However, I never wished the horrible disease on her. I didn't watch Larry King but saw the commercials for it. She looked awful. I just hope that she is out of pain and at peace.

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 07/22/07 at 12:50 pm

I must admit that I never cared for her. I always called her Tammy Baye Fakker. (And yeah, I laugh about the tee shirt, "I ran into Tammy Faye at the mall" which had a smudge of stuff that was supposed to be make-up) However, I never wished the horrible disease on her. I didn't watch Larry King but saw the commercials for it. She looked awful. I just hope that she is out of pain and at peace.

Cat

She literally could not eat and you can only rebuild so much body was with nutrients given medically.  She was saying how she would crave hamburgers and french fries and wished she could eat it.  That poor woman. :(

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/22/07 at 6:54 pm

I hear you, ace. CNN ran her last interview with Larry King last night and I could barely look at the screen. My first post-shock thought was: "Put the make-up back on". I don't think she deserved to get lumped in with Jim on the scandal, although with that ridiculously lavish home decor she had to know something was up. Comics used to mercilessly razz her about her 10-pounds-a-day of make-up, my favorite joke being Jay Leno calling her the lost member of KISS! Now I wonder what he'll say tomorrow night. No doubt it'll be respectful.

Farewell, Tammy Faye. May God have mercy on your soul.

Your Pal,
Doc

:(

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/22/07 at 10:59 pm

RIP Tammy Faye.  :\'(

Written By: Davester on 07/22/07 at 11:17 pm

You said it! 
Tammy Faye battled colon cancer since 1996.  She might have been the butt of jokes for her wild makeup and outfits, but underneath that she was a strong lady. 

Jim Bakker did some bad stuff; however, the way they were punished was unwarranted, and the people who really crucified the Bakkers in the '80s were televangelist competitors, especially Jerry Falwell.  Falwell conned them and then cheated them out of their assets, and he was no one to cast the first stone. 

Anyway, sorry to see Tammy Faye go.  I hope she's in a better place now, relieved from the suffering of cancer.

How we l-o-o-o-o-ved to watch the mighty fall down in the 80s.  Sorta like a precursor to tabloid talk.  The Bakkers, The Mayflower Madam, Leona Helmsley, Max Headroom, I'd say Swaggart, too, but I don't know how much he's really fallen (he still needs to repent, by the way...)  There must be others...

Oh, and "in a better place", Max?  I'm shocked..! :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/23/07 at 10:33 am

I saw a clip from the Larry King special...the poor thing looked horrible! They said that she got down to like 65 lbs. :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/23/07 at 6:55 pm

I saw a clip from the Larry King special...the poor thing looked horrible! They said that she got down to like 65 lbs. :(

She actually got down to 60 lbs.  On Larry King she said that at 65 lbs she had actually GAINED 5 lbs.  :o

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/23/07 at 7:26 pm

She actually got down to 60 lbs.  On Larry King she said that at 65 lbs she had actually GAINED 5 lbs.  :o

that's so sad. :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/30/07 at 7:57 pm

How we l-o-o-o-o-ved to watch the mighty fall down in the 80s.  Sorta like a precursor to tabloid talk.  The Bakkers, The Mayflower Madam, Leona Helmsley, Max Headroom, I'd say Swaggart, too, but I don't know how much he's really fallen (he still needs to repent, by the way...)  There must be others...

Oh, and "in a better place", Max?  I'm shocked..! :P

As televangelists go, the Bakkers were not particularly evil. 
Tammy Faye herself got screwed over by Jim Baker, who in turn, got screwed over by a real evil bastard, Jerry Falwell.
I wasn't even into Tammy Faye for kitsch.
It's just that I could see the pain and pathos and I felt sorry for her.  That's all.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/24/07 at 2:16 pm

Kinda saddens me. Her appearance on The Surreal Life really changed my impression of her, after watching that show I came away thinking that she was a genuine sweetheart.

Written By: whistledog on 08/25/07 at 2:20 am

Anyone remember that short-lived talk show she had with JM J. Bullock?  I knew that was doomed to fail, but I actually sort of liked it

Check for new replies or respond here...