inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Opera legend Pavarotti dies at 71

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/07 at 1:22 am

From BBC News Online.

Italian tenor Luciano Pavarotti has died, his manager has announced.

The singer, who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last year, died at his home in the northern city of Modena, at the age of 71.

He had been admitted to hospital there with a fever on 8 August. He was released two weeks later following diagnostic tests.

Pavarotti had cancer surgery in July 2006 in New York, and had not made any public appearances since then.

His farewell tour was interrupted then to remove a malignant tumour. He underwent five bouts of chemotherapy in the past year.

Fellow tenor Placido Domingo said he had "always admired the God-given glory of his voice".

Read the full report here.

Subject: Re: Opera legend Pavarotti dies at 71

Written By: Green Lantern on 09/06/07 at 1:33 am

Wow! ... I got that news from you first!  :o

I had seen a news report some hours ago .... that he was gravely ill. Still, it's a bit of a shock.

He was rather rousing on 'Nessun Dorma' ..

Yes... I see it is mentioned on our current news bulletin...

:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/06/07 at 5:40 am

These things seem to come in threes.  Let's hope the other two tenors are in good health.  :-\\

Written By: KKay on 09/06/07 at 6:18 am

we will miss him very much; glad to know he's not suffering-

Written By: thereshegoes on 09/06/07 at 9:18 am

Sad day,he made Opera popular again,his voice was something else 8)

F*ck cancer >:(

Written By: Green Lantern on 09/06/07 at 9:27 am

Sad day,he made Opera popular again,his voice was something else 8)

F*ck cancer >:(

Sorry 'thereshegoes' ... but I don't think that's entirely true. The popularization of Opera ... well I suppose you could go as far back as Enrico Caruso ... but I would have to say that it was Mario Lanza ... who really was a dynamo in bringing opera to the masses ... particularly his landmark film 'the Great Caruso' ... watch it ... and you will see what I mean. In fact ... the 3 tenors ... I seem to remember a concert they did ... which paid homage to Mario Lanza .. his popularizing of opera to the masses. We should not forget the likes of Maria Callas ('the voice of the century') ... and Joan Sutherland... amongst others ....

Written By: thereshegoes on 09/06/07 at 9:35 am

Sorry 'thereshegoes' ... but I don't think that's entirely true. The popularization of Opera ... well I suppose you could go as far back as Enrico Caruso ... but I would have to say that it was Mario Lanza ... who really was a dynamo in bringing opera to the masses ... particularly his landmark film 'the Great Caruso' ... watch it ... and you will see what I mean. In fact ... the 3 tenors ... I seem to remember a concert they did ... which paid homage to Mario Lanza .. his popularizing of opera to the masses. We should not forget the likes of Maria Callas ('the voice of the century') ... and Joan Sutherland... amongst others ....

I'm sure you're right,but i found out about Opera through him and the tenors,maybe i'm just too young to remember Mario Lanza ::) ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/06/07 at 9:38 am

Very sad, indeed. RIP Mr. Pavarotti. :\'(

Written By: Green Lantern on 09/06/07 at 9:41 am

I'm sure you're right,but i found out about Opera through him and the tenors,maybe i'm just too young to remember Mario Lanza ::) ;)

Yes... I'm sure I'm right  (too) ... just like Bjorn Borg /McEnroe/Connors .. brought tennis to the masses ... well Mario was highly highly influential in his day .. and yes ... 'you're so young and I'm so old ... this my darling I've been told ....'  :-[ :-[ :( :(  :\'( :\'(

;D

Written By: whistledog on 09/06/07 at 11:08 am

R.I.P. to a great singing legend :\'(

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/06/07 at 11:14 am

How very sad to hear that we've lost one incredibly talented singer... :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/07 at 11:17 am

The BBC played a recording of his, when singing an aria Pavarotti hit 9 successive high C's in a row.

Written By: Marian on 09/06/07 at 11:32 am

These things seem to come in threes.  Let's hope the other two tenors are in good health.  :-\\
Well,the deaths of Janis martin,Myoshi Umeki,and Marcia mae Jones would make that more than 3.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/06/07 at 11:56 am

What an incredible loss to the world of music!  :\'(

R.I.P. Mr. Pavarotti

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/06/07 at 12:17 pm

Last night on the news they said that he wasn't doing very good so when I heard about it today, I wasn't really surprised. He had been in poor health for so long.

He had an amazing voice and seemed like a very nice person. He is going to be missed. A sad day in opera and in music.  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/06/07 at 7:31 pm

I'll miss his beautiful voice. RIP Luciano Pavarotti.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/06/07 at 9:02 pm

I've always had mixed feelings about Pavarotti.  His gift of voice was unimpeachable. However, I'm not a fan of grand-scale opera; thus, I never enjoyed his singing.  It was Pavarotti's style that turned me off to him, but certainly not his capabilities.  I listen to operatic singing a lot, but usually in song cycles, music theater, and chamber opera. 

It is not of Pavarotti's doing that there is only room in popular music for a few great opera singers and a handful of classical operas; it is not Pavarotti himself who failed to spark interest among the public in 90% of the canon of Western music that gets no attention in mass media.  However, Pavarotti to me was a symbol of the problem.  His superstardom did nothing to broaden the public's musical horizons.  The man was an incarnation of the fat opera singer caricature handed down through the past several generations.
Figaro! Figaro, Figaro, Figaro, Figaro, Fi-ga-ro!

(the Larga al factotem aria ^ from Rossini's "The Barber of Seville" is a baritone part, not a tenor, but you get what I'm saying--Bugs Bunny, the Rabbit of Seville, and whatnot!)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/06/07 at 9:35 pm

Not a big opera fan, but his presence will be missed truly opera fans.

Rest in peace, you will be sadly missed by your fans.

Written By: nally on 09/07/07 at 10:14 am

I heard about it yesterday on Good Morning America. U2's frontman, Bono, was sharing his thoughts/memories of Pavarotti via phone from Dublin; I know that they performed together a lot.

Anyhoo, I know that Mr. Pavarotti will be greatly missed. :\'( He had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last July, and usually a person is expected to live no longer than a year after such diagnosis. He had such a great voice for a tenor.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/07/07 at 12:41 pm

Wednesday night around 10pm on the BBC News, it was announced that he was dangerous ill. So we (and the whole world) waited for the terrible news to be announced. It wa sthe following morning

Written By: Marian on 09/09/07 at 4:56 pm

I wonder if Willie "Wilson" went to his funeral?LOL

Written By: teababe27 on 09/29/07 at 9:23 pm

RIP.  :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...