inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Author Norman Mailer dies at 84

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/07 at 7:30 am

From BBC News Online

Pulitzer Prize-winning author Norman Mailer has died of renal failure aged 84, his literary executor has said.

Mailer won the prestigious Pulitzer Prize twice, for The Armies of the Night in 1968 and The Executioner's Song in 1979.

He was known for biting prose and as an antagonist of the feminist movement. His latest work, The Castle in the Forest, was published this year.

Last month he had surgery to remove scar tissue from around his lung.

Born in 1923 in New Jersey, Mailer wrote dozens of books as well as plays, poems, screenplays and essays.

He was co-founder of The Village Voice alternative newspaper in New York.

His first major success, the novel The Naked and the Dead, was a fictionalised account based on his experiences in the Army in World War II.

Subject: Re: Author Norman Mailer dies at 84

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/11/07 at 5:52 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tearyeyed.gif

I saw Norman Mailer earlier this year (along with Gunter Grass, the Tin Drum guy), on C-SPAN earlier this year.  He was looking awfully tired.  He said in so many words it was about the last we'd see of him. 

Even so, I was still surprised to hear he was actually....gone.  Mailer was perhaps the most influential counter-cultural figure dating back to the Beat Generation who was still alive. 

A 21-gun salute for Mr. Mailer.  He had all the right enemies!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/12/07 at 2:55 am

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tearyeyed.gif

I saw Norman Mailer earlier this year (along with Gunter Grass, the Tin Drum guy), on C-SPAN earlier this year.  He was looking awfully tired.  He said in so many words it was about the last we'd see of him. 

Even so, I was still surprised to hear he was actually....gone.  Mailer was perhaps the most influential counter-cultural figure dating back to the Beat Generation who was still alive. 

A 21-gun salute for Mr. Mailer.  He had all the right enemies!

As you describe, Norman Mailer said it would be the last we would see him. How was he when he said it, did he seem frighten of death or has come to except the fate?

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 11/12/07 at 4:16 am

Sad to hear of Mr. Mailer's passing. He was certainly a legend in the literary world, and a controversial one at that... :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/13/07 at 6:57 pm

As you describe, Norman Mailer said it would be the last we would see him. How was he when he said it, did he seem frighten of death or has come to except the fate?

He was probably somewhat frightened of the unknown, but once you hit 80, you know it's coming. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/14/07 at 3:51 am

He was probably somewhat frightened of the unknown, but once you hit 80, you know it's coming. 
Too true.

Written By: thereshegoes on 11/15/07 at 2:44 pm

This is very sad. Mailer was brilliant,great writer and thinker...I'm such a fan of him and also found him incredibly sexy,he never lost his charm 8)

Written By: nally on 11/15/07 at 10:19 pm

I missed this. R.I.P. Norman http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tearyeyed.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...