inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Famous & Quasi famous people you were shocked to learn are dead

Written By: snozberries on 11/13/07 at 1:23 am

I was just thinking about watching DVD commentaries and then learning that one of the people in the film is dead....

quote from Star500 The guy who played Kenny (Keith Coogan) has changed so much, he looks so different now. Also, I don't know if a lot of you know this but the guy who played Zach (Christopher Pettit) died in 2000. He died of an accidental drug overdose. I found a picture Keith Coogan, the way he looks now and I am going to include it with this post.

I mentioned that

Max Cantor (Robbie the Waiter in Dirty Dancing) died in 1991

Sean Phelan (Yogurt in Toy Soldiers) died in 1998 (after spending 4 years in a vegitative state following an accident)

Sunny Johnson who played Jeannie the figure skater died just over a year after Flashdance was released.

And from the "I can't believe he isn't dead vault..." is anyone else shocked to see that Abe Vigoda is still alive... .I swear I saw a skit (maybe it was on the emmys) it was a riff on Sex and the City and Bea Arthur was playing (Carrie Bradshaw) I guess Abe was Mr Big or something...

I don't recall because I spent the next 5 minutes going.  "THAT'S ABE VIGODA! Isn't he dead? Maybe it CGI... damn that's really good CGI...It's not CGI? But I thought Abe Vigoda was dead!"  (Sorry Abe but its true...)

Subject: Re: Famous & Quasi famous people you were shocked to learn are dead

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/13/07 at 12:06 pm

Help me here, because I'm horrible with names, but Steve Urkel's girlfriend Myra on Family Ties supposedly died of some stomach disease, or something.  That's pretty shocking considering her age.

And speaking of age:  YOU GO ABE!!! ;D

Written By: nally on 11/13/07 at 12:08 pm

Help me here, because I'm horrible with names, but Steve Urkel's girlfriend Myra on Family Ties supposedly died of some stomach disease, or something.  That's pretty shocking considering her age.

That was Family Matters. Yes, the actress (Michelle Thomas) was only 29 when she checked out. :\'(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/13/07 at 12:11 pm

And speaking of age:  YOU GO ABE!!! ;D

Yes..her name was Michelle Thomas...here's her info on IMDB.com

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0859260/

she was such a beautiful young woman. :\'(

Written By: snozberries on 11/13/07 at 12:12 pm

Michelle Thomas is dead??!!?? Wasn't she Theo's girlfriend on Cosby Show?

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/13/07 at 1:30 pm

That was Family Matters. Yes, the actress (Michelle Thomas) was only 29 when she checked out. :\'(
Yes, of course, Family Matters.  See, I Do suck at names... :D

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/13/07 at 1:32 pm

Michelle Thomas is dead??!!?? Wasn't she Theo's girlfriend on Cosby Show?
Yes!  She was Justine.

Written By: saver on 11/13/07 at 2:10 pm

There are more obscure ones on einsiders.com

From character actors we know to Brits and Canadians other may know...that papers and not all sites list unless you're a bigger name.

Written By: whistledog on 11/15/07 at 12:21 pm

The one that shocked me was British singer Paul Young, who passed away in 2000.  Not to be confused with the solo artist of the same name, Young was the lead singer for Sad Café and co-lead singer for Mike + the Mechanics.  In the 90s, the Mechanics (despite having several hits in Canada) fell completely out of the US chart, so when Young passed away, news of it didn't really travel this way.  I read about it on the internet and I was really sad

"All I Need is A Miracle" was one of my favourite songs when I was a kid

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/18/07 at 7:24 am

The ones that shocked me were:

David Graf, better known as "Tackleberry" from the Police Academy series.

Chuck Mitchell, who played the title role in Porky's, as well as Nancy Parsons who played Ms. Beulah Balbricker.

Written By: snozberries on 11/18/07 at 11:39 am

The ones that shocked me were:

David Graf, better known as "Tackleberry" from the Police Academy series.

Chuck Mitchell, who played the title role in Porky's, as well as Nancy Parsons who played Ms. Beulah Balbricker.

Awww Tackleberry...

Written By: whistledog on 11/18/07 at 11:49 am

Another one for me was Eddie Rabbitt.  One day I was like "How come he doesn't release music anymore?" so I googled him, and he died in 1998.  He was a big star, but I don't remember hearing anything in the news about his death

Written By: snozberries on 11/18/07 at 11:55 am

Another one for me was Eddie Rabbitt.  One day I was like "How come he doesn't release music anymore?" so I googled him, and he died in 1998.  He was a big star, but I don't remember hearing anything in the news about his death
WHAT?!?!?

Written By: Marian on 11/18/07 at 3:15 pm

WHAT?!?!?
I believe he had cancer.I guess he was one of those who just chose to keep their mediacal struggle at a low profile.

Written By: snozberries on 11/18/07 at 3:44 pm

I learned that Laura Brannigan died a few years ago but I just learned that last year.... maybe 2 years ago now.

Written By: whistledog on 11/18/07 at 10:47 pm

I believe he had cancer.I guess he was one of those who just chose to keep their mediacal struggle at a low profile.

Lung Cancer yes.  Apparently he never smoked, but all those years he spent singing in smoky bars, he basically died from second hand smoke

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/19/07 at 6:25 pm

I ws shocked to hear that the guy who played Mr. Whipple in the Charmin ads passed away...

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/07 at 12:56 pm

Anyone remember Merlin Santana?  He had a recurring role as Stanley in the final season of 'The Cosby Show' but was best known as Romeo on 'The Steve Harvey Show'.  He was murdered in 2002

I never watched 'The Steve Harvey Show' until reruns popped up on TBS (now Peachtree TV), but I remember him from 'The Cosby Show'.  Sad to learn that he is no longer with us :\'(

Written By: snozberries on 11/27/07 at 3:18 pm

Anyone remember Merlin Santana?  He had a recurring role as Stanley in the final season of 'The Cosby Show' but was best known as Romeo on 'The Steve Harvey Show'.  He was murdered in 2002

I never watched 'The Steve Harvey Show' until reruns popped up on TBS (now Peachtree TV), but I remember him from 'The Cosby Show'.  Sad to learn that he is no longer with us :\'(

I don't remember him...

The kid, Mark Lane, who played Oprah's son in the TV movie There Are No Children Here was murdered at a gas station in Chicago in 2001.

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/30/07 at 7:04 pm

Sunny Johnson who played Jeannie the figure skater died just over a year after Flashdance was released.

Oh, wow! I definitely did not know that! How sad!  :\'( Does anybody know the cause of her death?

I had no idea Alexa Kenin (Jena from "Pretty in Pink") died until a couple of years ago.  :\'(

Written By: snozberries on 12/01/07 at 2:58 pm

Oh, wow! I definitely did not know that! How sad!  :\'( Does anybody know the cause of her death?

If was an aneurysm

and I didn't know this.....

I had no idea Alexa Kenin (Jena from "Pretty in Pink") died until a couple of years ago.  :\'(

from what?

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/01/07 at 9:02 pm

If was an aneurysm

and I didn't know this.....
from what?

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE4D9133BF931A2575AC0A963948260

This is the only article I can find regarding Alexa's death. On IMDB it says she was murdered.  :(

Written By: Butterball on 12/01/07 at 9:15 pm

How about "Hotsy Totsy" Debralee Scott from Welcome Back Kotter and Mary Hartman. :\'(

Written By: snozberries on 12/01/07 at 9:44 pm

How about "Hotsy Totsy" Debralee Scott from Welcome Back Kotter and Mary Hartman. :\'(

Wait WHAT?!?!?!?  :o  I HAD NO CLUE...see that's why I started this topic!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/03/07 at 3:04 pm

This is totally obscure, but there was this old redneck comedian named Gene Tracy whose tapes and cassettes can still be found at truckstops if you look around. When I first started trucking in 1993, I bought a few of his tapes and absolutely loved them. Really, all his material consisted of was telling dirty jokes (a lot of which were rather stupid), but he had this loud, rude and obnoxious, yet charismatic style of delivery that was off the chart and made him absolutely hilarious. (Not to mention that he was obviously drunk off his ass when he was up on stage.)

When I first got online back in '98, "Gene Tracy" was one of the very first things I entered into my search engine, I would've been willing to drive halfway across the country just to see him on stage.

Unfortunately, I found out that he died in 1979.  :(

http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeAudioArt/410/415017.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/07 at 5:30 am

After seeing Madeline Kahn in Blazing Saddles just the other day (and since the Mid 70's), I am shocked to head that she died back in 1999. I still thought that she had just stopped acting.

Written By: whistledog on 12/14/07 at 12:02 pm

I just bought an Eddie Rabbitt tape from Salvation Army yesterday, and inside was a newspaper clipping someone had cut out from a 1998 newspaper that announced his death at the age of 53 :\'(

He had 26 #1 hits on the US Country charts.  I didn't know that

Written By: snozberries on 12/14/07 at 10:22 pm

I hadn't heard about Eddie Rabbit either. I liked some of his music.

Written By: lorac61469 on 12/15/07 at 3:37 pm

Dana Hill, played the daughter in European Vacation.  She died in 1996 (stroke after complications from diabetes).

http://www.normalbobsmith.com/worstmovies/worstmovies_pic_jellybean.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 12/15/07 at 7:04 pm

Dana Hill, played the daughter in European Vacation.  She died in 1996 (stroke after complications from diabetes).

http://www.normalbobsmith.com/worstmovies/worstmovies_pic_jellybean.jpg

finally one I actually knew about.

I also knew about Heather O'Rourke but I was still shocked to hear of her death because she was so young.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/pamelasag61/Celebrities/Poltergeist001.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/15/07 at 10:58 pm

Probably one of the saddest ones....Jonathan Brandis (known for being in movies such as: The Neverending Story II, Ladybugs, Sidekicks, etc. and the TV show: Seaquest). He died of suicide by hanging, in 2003...how incredibly sad. He used to be one of my favorite actors..I always thought he was so handsome.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/3968/09wp3.jpg

Another one (which I was so shocked when I heard this ages ago):

Glenn Quinn (who played Mark Healy on the TV show, Roseanne).  He died of a drug overdose in 2002. :\'(  What a handsome guy he was.
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6894/glennvv4.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 12/16/07 at 1:42 am

^ I didn't know Glenn Quinn had died.  That's very sad :\'(  I liked him on Roseanne

You know what's weird?  In that photo, he sort of looks like Zach Braff.  Braff is on the show 'Scrubs' with Sarah Chalke, who played the 2nd Becky on Roseanne

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6894/glennvv4.jpg http://www.nbc.com/Scrubs/images/bio_photo_1.jpg

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/17/07 at 12:02 am

^ I didn't know Glenn Quinn had died.  That's very sad :\'(  I liked him on Roseanne

You know what's weird?  In that photo, he sort of looks like Zach Braff.  Braff is on the show 'Scrubs' with Sarah Chalke, who played the 2nd Becky on Roseanne

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6894/glennvv4.jpg http://www.nbc.com/Scrubs/images/bio_photo_1.jpg

yes..what a shocker, huh? Yes..they do resemble each other a bit.

Written By: snozberries on 12/17/07 at 4:44 pm

I didn't know Glenn Quinn had died!!!! Wow I miss everything.  :\'(

I loved him on both Roseanne and Angel.

One of the writers for Angel came to talk to our class. It was shortly after Glenn had been written out of the series. We were sworn to secrecy but that was years ago so I'm sure the statute of limitations is up.... she said he got fired for drug use

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/17/07 at 10:22 pm

I didn't know Glenn Quinn had died!!!! Wow I miss everything.   :\'(

I loved him on both Roseanne and Angel.

One of the writers for Angel came to talk to our class. It was shortly after Glenn had been written out of the series. We were sworn to secrecy but that was years ago so I'm sure the statute of limitations is up.... she said he got fired for drug use

such a shame, huh? What a waste of a talented man's life. :(

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/18/07 at 3:13 pm

Some of the ones that have passed who meant the world to me:

http://sp1.mm-a8.yimg.com/image/4037510770

Rodney Dangerfield-
This man taught me how to laugh at myself.

http://sp1.mm-a2.yimg.com/image/2219163130

Jack Palance-
This man was the "quintessential villain". Used to scare the hell out of me!

http://sp1.mm-a6.yimg.com/image/3460751408

Mike "Hawk" Hegstrand
As an erstwhile wrestling fan, this one was a childhood hero of mine. His partner is still alive.

http://sp1.mm-a2.yimg.com/image/2309412917

Vince Welnick-
This pianist was 1/7th of my favorite group of all-time.

http://sp1.mm-a4.yimg.com/image/3016549731

Fay Wray-
This classy lady was always in my life in some way. Believe it or not, she died at age 96, just a few years ago!

Written By: snozberries on 12/20/07 at 6:17 pm

Okay hawk I need a little help... who are the last two?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/21/07 at 4:41 pm

Okay hawk I need a little help... who are the last two?

See above amended post.

Written By: snozberries on 12/21/07 at 7:11 pm

I loved Fay Wray circa 1933 but didn't recognized her aged.... she was great actress from one of my favorite flix!

Written By: statsqueen on 12/27/07 at 7:32 pm

I seriously feel like I've been living under a rock after reading about all these deaths (especially the young actors/actresses) that I never heard about!!!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/30/07 at 10:31 pm

Wow, there's alot of people who have died that I totally miss.

Jim Henson: I grew up watching reruns of the Muppet Show, The Muppet Babies and Muppets Tonight.

John Ritter: I watch Three's Company every night and when I had heard that he died, I cried. He was such a funny and charming man.

James Brown: I truly truly saddened when I heard about his death. He was the hardest workign man in show business and inspired my two favorite entertainers. (Michael Jackson and Prince). I really looked up to and admired him. He performed right up until the end. That's truly commendable. He is greatly missed.

Jimmy Stewart: I love Jimmy Stewart so much and when I had learned he died...wow. (Ten years after the fact too! :\'( )That was a major shocker. He was a brillitant actor and I would like to have met him.

Heather O' Rourke: She was such a young talented kid. I hate she died so young.  :\'(

Robert Palmer: My Mom used to play Addicted to Love all the time and when I heard he had passed away, it was really shocking. When I was little I wanted to be one of the chicks playing guitar in the background.

There's more I miss, but this is making me too sad.  :\'(

Written By: whistledog on 01/28/08 at 10:05 pm

William Pierson died in 2004.  Who's that, you might ask?

He had a recurring role as Dean Travers on Three's Company

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1411/9405810109438720536ql2.jpg

Written By: cinnabon on 01/29/08 at 5:14 am

I read somewhere that Bob Geldof passed away in 2000, but I'm not sure if that's true or not - that would seem so hard to believe for me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/08 at 5:17 am

I read somewhere that Bob Geldof passed away in 2000, but I'm not sure if that's true or not - that would seem so hard to believe for me.
He is well and truly alive, and is still campaigning.

Written By: snozberries on 01/29/08 at 2:56 pm

I thought he died too....

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/08 at 3:45 pm

I thought he died too....
In the UK , you are always aware of him.

Could you be confusing him with someone else?

Written By: snozberries on 01/29/08 at 3:49 pm

In the UK , you are always aware of him.

Could you be confusing him with someone else?

I'm thinking the concert promoter live aid guy

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/08 at 3:50 pm

The is Bob Geldof.

Written By: snozberries on 01/29/08 at 3:51 pm

The is Bob Geldof.

yeah he was dead maybe it was an urban legend or maybe some other guy on that level died and I just got them confused...we all know how good I am with things relating to music.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/08 at 3:51 pm

...and Midge Ure is still alive.

Written By: snozberries on 01/29/08 at 8:45 pm

...and Midge Ure is still alive.

who?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/29/08 at 9:20 pm

who?

Midge Ure is the lead guitarist (I think) for Ultravox.

Written By: whistledog on 01/29/08 at 9:24 pm

Midge Ure, who co-wrote 'Do They Know It's Christmas' with Bob Geldof.  Ure went unknown in the US apart from two minur hots on the Billboard chart:  'Reap the Wild Wind' (Ultravox) and 'Dear God'.  He and Geldof are both still very much alive :)

Written By: Butterball on 03/24/08 at 10:53 pm

How about the skate board kid "Roach" in the movie "Next Friday". He committed suicide. The kid from the movie "Crooklyn", Not sure what his name was...the kid with the glasses. (died from Sickle Cell) The lead singer of the 70's group "The Sylvers", Edmund Sylvers(died of lung cancer)

Check for new replies or respond here...