inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: R.I.P. Evel Knievel

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/30/07 at 3:43 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/obit_knievel

A sad day indeed  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

His legacy will forever live

Subject: Re: R.I.P. Evel Knievel

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/30/07 at 3:44 pm

He was a legend and will be sadly missed.

Written By: nally on 11/30/07 at 5:15 pm

He sure will.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/30/07 at 5:55 pm

Truly an American Original  :\'(

http://www.stevemandich.com/evelincarnate/ekamherstlp.jpg

Written By: Davester on 11/30/07 at 5:58 pm

A-w-w-w... :(

That's it for the "Man"...

About the coolest badass that ever lived, and the hero that I had growing up...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/30/07 at 6:03 pm

Probally the most coolest man alive, has now passed away.

There never be another, Evel Knievel.

You'll be missed by all.

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/30/07 at 7:00 pm

RIP Evel Knievel. You were one cool guy.  :\'(

Written By: KKay on 11/30/07 at 7:15 pm

We kinda knew him for a while when I was a kid.  he was friends with my dad and gave us tickets to go see Tony Orlando and Dawn.
We went to see his yacht.
It was cool.  He was a thoroughly nice man, as I recall.

RIP, daredevil.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/30/07 at 7:30 pm

He was one brave dude.

RIP.

Written By: ninny on 11/30/07 at 7:37 pm

So true

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/30/07 at 7:45 pm

He almost survived everything.  :\'(

Written By: Red Ant on 11/30/07 at 8:56 pm

Although his prime was a bit before I was old enough to remember, I do remember that every boy wanted to be him at some point. On one hand it's hard to believe he lived so long, given his career and injuries. On the other, it's hard to believe he's gone.

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/01/07 at 12:02 am

A-w-w-w... :(

That's it for the "Man"...

About the coolest badass that ever lived, and the hero that I had growing up...

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Good old Evel could beat the concussions, contusions, and the broken bones from 'cycle stunts, but diabetes knocked him out in the end.  In the coming year far more folks will die from diabetes than reckless motorcycling.  That's the way the mop flops.

I remember when we set up a ramp and a pit for our BMX bikes; we quickly realized how talented Uncle Evel really was!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 12/01/07 at 1:30 am

Evel Knievel was one bad motherf**er.

Evel's records may have been beaten, but they've all since been done on lightweight motocross bikes with modern suspensions.

Not Evel. One of the things that made him so badass was that he always rode Harley freakin' Davidsons when he made his jumps. (Well, except for the "Skycycle" rocket that he used in his attempt to jump the Snake River Canyon.) The bikes he used were heavier than the ones they use now, and the suspensions had much less travel than the ones on newer motocross bikes, so Evel's Harleys didn't absorb the impact from landing near as well as the newer bikes. As a matter-of-fact, one of his many injuries came when he hits the ramp so hard that the impact actually fractured some vertebrae in his back. He broke 35 bones (including his pelvis, which must be excruciatingly painful beyond imagination) and he'd still keep getting back on that damn bike.

Truly an American legend.

RIP Evel, I'm hoisting a cold one for you right now.  ;)

http://www.realhog.com/uploads/03-EVEL-01.JPG

Written By: Watcher29 on 12/01/07 at 6:34 am

He was an American icon. His name will be forever synonymous with daredevil stunts - I can't even think of any performer today remotely as famous as him. RIP, Evel, and may your jumps last forever.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/01/07 at 6:53 am

How many metal plated bones did he have in the end?

Written By: Davester on 12/01/07 at 11:47 pm

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Good old Evel could beat the concussions, contusions, and the broken bones from 'cycle stunts, but diabetes knocked him out in the end.  In the coming year far more folks will die from diabetes than reckless motorcycling.  That's the way the mop flops.

I remember when we set up a ramp and a pit for our BMX bikes; we quickly realized how talented Uncle Evel really was!

Truth, man...

Me and my circle regarded him a something of a super hero.  That bike, that crazy costume, the mirror shades, even his name was tough!  Only a guy that cool could die so many times, get right back up and walk it off, er...in a sense...

Ha, yeah, the BMX.  You know who we were all thinking of when we hit the ramp, too.  The same problem as Evel - speeding up the ramp and flying through the air is the easy part, it's just stopping..!

Written By: gumbypiz on 12/02/07 at 3:35 am

Devastated to hear of EK’s passing.

Those of you who grew up in the ‘70’s like me, will remember his impact on our generation.
Unlike my dads childhood, they grew up with cowboys and Indians as play roles…We grew up playing daredevil and Evel Knievel was always the hero.
I had an EK bike replica, the toys, faux Stars & Stripes jumpsuit/outfit, all of it.
Evel was like Arnold Swarzenagger, Bruce Willis and Michael Jordan rolled into one. He was it for us kids in the ‘70’s.

As AL-B said, this man jumped using heavy Harleys, not modern off-road/motocross bikes. Completely crazy to even consider thinking about what he attempted and accomplished nowadays on those beastly Harleys.

He was one of the last real Americans “cowboys”. He spoke his mind, did what he wanted, and sometimes paid the price for it. Unashamed and not afraid to follow his own path. True original.

Almost unbelievable that he’s gone, kinda thought he’d just be too damn stubborn to succumb to anything.

Rest in peace. :(

Check for new replies or respond here...