inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Allan Melvin -- "Sam the Butcher" from the Brady Bunch has passed on

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/19/08 at 1:52 pm

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-bkmelvinobit-011908,0,2180834.story

Subject: Re: Allan Melvin -- "Sam the Butcher" from the Brady Bunch has passed on

Written By: saver on 01/19/08 at 3:55 pm

Little known trivia fact: Allan provided the voice of PUFNSTUF in the 'MOVIE'  only.

Subject: Re: Allan Melvin -- "Sam the Butcher" from the Brady Bunch has passed on

Written By: snozberries on 01/19/08 at 5:52 pm

Aw... that's sad... wonder if TV land will have Sam the Butcher / Andy Griffith marathon... he was on at least 3 eps of AG.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/19/08 at 9:36 pm

:\'(

Written By: whistledog on 01/20/08 at 12:26 am

This is very sad news.  He wasn't a prominent role on that show, but he was memorable.  David Graf, who played Sam in the film version in the 90s passed away years ago :\'(

Written By: statsqueen on 01/20/08 at 11:08 am

RIP "Sam"

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/20/08 at 11:13 am

Very sad... :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/20/08 at 3:47 pm

I'll remember Melvin best as Archie Bunker's buddy "Barney Hefner," who made Archie look sharp!  Barney was slow and clueless, but kinda sweet and child-like too.  You always pitied him because his floozie wife "Blanche" was always running around on him.  I don't know if they lifted the name from Flintsones, but Barney was Barney Rubble to Archie's Fred. 

"Barney Hefner" was a much more regular character on All in the Family/Archie Bunker's Place than Same the Butcher was on the Brady Bunch, but it seems like everybody else rembers Sam best (even better than Magilla Gorilla).  Even I liked Sam while I couldn't stand the rest of the show. 

Sorry to see Allan Melvin go, but he had a pretty good run.

:\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/20/08 at 6:39 pm

I best remember him as Charley Hacker, the marine buddy of Seargent Carter in "Gomer Pyle USMC".

I remember this one episode where he messed with Carter's head by siphoning gas in and out of his new car, so Carter could not figure out his gas mileage.  ;D ;D

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/20/08 at 7:44 pm

I'll always remember him as Sam and Barney. RIP Allan Melvin.  :\'(

Written By: saver on 01/20/08 at 9:53 pm

Deep trivia insight on Allan....he played a lot of military characters over the years and on one episode of the Dick Van Dyke show, the inside joke was when Dick and Allan recalled the old army days, they made mention of a fellow soldier who got in trouble, the name of the guy they were recalling was the 'character' name Allan used on the Bilko show...(the crew had a good laugh about it, other astute watchers may have caught on as well).

Check for new replies or respond here...