inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Brokeback Mountain star dies

Written By: saver on 01/22/08 at 3:56 pm

Breaking on FOX NEWS...Actor Heath Ledger found dead in NY apt. :\'(

Subject: Re: Brokeback Mountain star dies

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/22/08 at 4:00 pm

Breaking on FOX NEWS...Actor Heath Ledger found dead in NY apt. :\'(

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/22/actor-heath-ledger-is-found-dead/index.html?hp

pills apparently... very sad

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/08 at 4:01 pm

Just heard on the radio, more tragic news.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/22/08 at 4:01 pm

And the Wiki entry on him has alreay been updated.  :o

28 - too young. RIP Heath.

Ant

Written By: saver on 01/22/08 at 4:04 pm

After Brad Renfro and Heath...keep an eye on the youngins'...if the curse is true...one more to go soon in the pack of 3's ...(did Britney cheat the curse?)...

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/08 at 4:07 pm

Ant
OMG 28 years old!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/22/08 at 4:08 pm

Very sad. I liked him in a lot of movies. Very promising actor.  :\'(

Written By: danootaandme on 01/22/08 at 4:09 pm

oh jeez  :\'(

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/22/08 at 4:13 pm

Shocking, awful news.

Written By: Jessica on 01/22/08 at 4:20 pm

I am stunned. He just never seemed like the type of person to be doing drugs. I guess you never know though... :\'(

Written By: SemperYoda on 01/22/08 at 4:51 pm

Will be interesting to watch him as the Joker this summer knowing he is dead.  :(  Its even more sad because he is really a good actor.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/08 at 4:52 pm

I believe has was due to be in the next Batman film.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/22/08 at 4:55 pm

The drugs he died from were over the counter...  so far as they've determined.  Sleeping pills were found near his body.  I'm guessing alcohol might have also been involved, or maybe some kind of upper.

This really is sad though.  The Dark Knight looks phenomenally good, but I guess the Joker character will not be returning for the 3rd movie.  Heath was indeed a great actor.  :(

Written By: Jessica on 01/22/08 at 4:57 pm

Will be interesting to watch him as the Joker this summer knowing he is dead.  :(   Its even more sad because he is really a good actor.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. In all the previews, he just gives me the creeps as the Joker. And now he's gone. :(

Written By: Brian06 on 01/22/08 at 5:26 pm

So shocking and sad.  :\'(

Written By: thereshegoes on 01/22/08 at 5:38 pm

He had a baby daughter with Michelle Williams :\'( I was a big fan of his acting too,i'm really saddened by this.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/08 at 5:40 pm

I have just told my son and his is in complete shock, he does not believe me.

Written By: KKay on 01/22/08 at 5:42 pm

i just saw this on tv!
that poor man.

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/08 at 6:07 pm

This is a big shock.  I loved him in 'A Knights Tale.  That movie was excellent!

R.I.P. to a great actor :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/08 at 6:09 pm

Just seen the footage on tv of the ambulance taking his body away, with people around taking pictures. Could the medical service be more discreet.

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/08 at 6:13 pm

Ant

It's even been updated on IMDB as well.  I smell foul play perhaps ?

Written By: ?????????????????????? on 01/22/08 at 6:19 pm

What was he doing at Mary-Kate Olson's Appartment?

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 01/22/08 at 6:24 pm

I'm utterly devastated... I've been dealing with a death in my own family, so I'm only just hearing the tragic news. I simply can't believe that he is gone, it just doesn't make any sense to me at all...

Written By: Jessica on 01/22/08 at 6:27 pm

He wasn't. That was a rumour.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/22/08 at 7:32 pm

Shocked the crap out of me when I heard.  Rest In Peace, Heath. :(

Written By: nondiva234 on 01/22/08 at 7:39 pm

I was very shocked when I heard the news. What a waste of a life of a promising actor.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/22/08 at 7:43 pm

It's even been updated on IMDB as well.  I smell foul play perhaps ?

I was thinking more along the lines of "what type of person, upon hearing someone's death, more or less immediately goes to edit a wiki page? Is that the equivalent of saying "FIRST!"?

Ant

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/08 at 7:50 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of "what type of person, upon hearing someone's death, more or less immediately goes to edit a wiki page? Is that the equivalent of saying "FIRST!"?

Ant

It happens all the time.  When Robert Goulet died, not even 15 minutes after the story broke, it was on wiki

Written By: ninny on 01/22/08 at 7:57 pm

This is so sad RIP Heath :\'(

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/22/08 at 8:05 pm

Extremely shocking and tragic. He was way too young to leave us. RIP Heath Ledger.  :\'( :\'(

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/08 at 8:42 pm

I just saw the news brief announcing this...  :o Totally shocked!

Ant

even I'm not that competitive!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/22/08 at 10:10 pm

Man, I saw a clip announcing this on the news and I thought it was a sick joke. This is so unfortunate and sad. My heart goes out to his family, especially his daughter. :( :\'(

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/08 at 10:13 pm

Elvis found on the crapper... Heath found naked at the foot of his bed... I gotta tell when I go I hope I am dressed  :-\\

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/22/08 at 10:23 pm

Sad, sad, sad  :\'(

He had so much promise!  How very tragic.

Written By: nally on 01/22/08 at 10:28 pm

I found out about this earlier today...through a headline on the AOL homepage.

What sad, sad news indeed. This is a shocker. :\'( :\'( He could have gone a long way in the world of movies...he had lotsa potential.

And the Wiki entry on him has already been updated.  :o

Ant

I think so too... no one should have to die that young. :\'( That's how old I'm gonna be this year.

Written By: saver on 01/22/08 at 10:52 pm

I just saw the news brief announcing this...  :o Totally shocked!

even I'm not that competitive!

DON'T LET THIS SHOCK YOU...Associated Press announced they already have Britney Spears obit written-TRUE TRUE..and they have other older well-knowns already written, just waiting for the date....like Bob Hope/Pope JP...

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/08 at 10:54 pm

DON'T LET THIS SHOCK YOU...Associated Press announced they already have Britney Spears obit written-TRUE TRUE..and they have other older well-knowns already written, just waiting for the date....like Bob Hope/Pope JP...

I'd believe it.... They probably have a few versions, one for OD, one for death while DUI and one for Suicide,

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/23/08 at 1:17 am

The reports I have heard it was his own home.

Written By: Gis on 01/23/08 at 3:03 am

How far along is Dark Knight? is filming finished or will they do a Brandon Lee and CGI/body double him? 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/23/08 at 8:54 am

How far along is Dark Knight? is filming finished or will they do a Brandon Lee and CGI/body double him? 

It's already completed...and is due out this summer. I just recently watched a clip of it....it looks really good.

Written By: KKay on 01/23/08 at 9:01 am

is it a coincidence that there are two heath ledger movies on today!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/23/08 at 9:13 am

I know that a reporter was sacked by the BBC for one of the tasks he was asked was write the Obit for Princess Diana on the day of her engagement to Prince Charles back in 1981.

Written By: Jessica on 01/23/08 at 9:26 am

I just read something on Perez Hilton that I hope isn't true.

Apparently, Fred Phelps and his dipsh*t "God hates f*gs" followers are going to protest outside Heath Ledger's funeral because he was perverted enough to promote homosexuality through "Brokeback Mountain". ::)

Am I the only one wishing that these people would get eaten by the Cloverfield monster?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/23/08 at 10:37 am

Am I the only one wishing that these people would get eaten by the Cloverfield monster?

No...you aren't. They make me ill. >:(

Written By: Tia on 01/23/08 at 11:21 am

Apparently, Fred Phelps and his dipsh*t "God hates f*gs" followers are going to protest outside Heath Ledger's funeral because he was perverted enough to promote homosexuality through "Brokeback Mountain". ::)

god loves fred phelps. everyone else thinks he's an ashkrofft.

this stuff sorta reminds me of that girl who died in her porsche for being an acting-out teenager and how all these people tormented her family. i'm not big on excessive legislation but i really think that taunting grieving people should be against the law. i know about freedom of speech and all that but this is just a form of torture, if you ask me.

funny how they're crackin on heath cuz he was in a gay movie but not because he may have committed suicide. isnt that also a sin? i bet these god hates f*gs guys go back to their armed compound and get their weird gay gangbang orgies on day and night and then flagellate themselves the next day in penance. they have some weird hangup about homosexuality that makes me think they cant deal with their own gay love impulses.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/23/08 at 11:32 am

Same here.  These are the idiots that were going to protest the funeral of a Marine killed in Iraq that was being held at my church.  They need to do something constructive not destructive.  They never showed but the bikers that follow them around to protect the funerals showed.  That was cool.

Written By: Jessica on 01/23/08 at 11:49 am

Same here.  These are the idiots that were going to protest the funeral of a Marine killed in Iraq that was being held at my church.  They need to do something constructive not destructive.  They never showed but the bikers that follow them around to protect the funerals showed.  That was cool.

I was thinking about the bikers. I wonder if they could get them to Oz to make sure these asshats don't ruin the funeral.

It is apparently true though. Here is a screenshot of the release from the Westboro Baptist "church":

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/19627377.html

Written By: KKay on 01/23/08 at 12:31 pm

here's a fun memory of him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWV7LWyTFQM

Written By: Jessica on 01/23/08 at 12:36 pm

I freakin' love that movie.

Written By: KKay on 01/23/08 at 12:36 pm

I freakin' love that movie.

me too.  it's nice when a cool guy lets loose.

Written By: Tia on 01/23/08 at 12:46 pm

aww. to tell you the truth, until a couple minutes ago i'd been sorta secretly thinking, ok, heath ledger? i mean, yeah, big star and all and i haven't seen brokeback mountain so maybe i dont get it, the whole heath-grief phenom, but i only remembered him from that one movie where he's a jouster in medieval times? and it's really bad. so i didn't get the heath ledger thing until i saw this. i remember this movie! i really enjoyed the hell out of it but never wanted to admit it to anyone. :-[

it's funny, i felt stupid having not seen brokeback but now i think i'll get so much more out of seeing it for the first time.

Written By: SemperYoda on 01/23/08 at 1:38 pm

Ah, A Knight's Tale was a good movie Tia.  It was just supposed to be a light hearted comedy where you dont have to think.  It is great because it was trying to be great.

Written By: gemini on 01/23/08 at 1:40 pm

I couldn't believe it when I heard it yesterday. What a tragic end.  :\'(  I feel for his family and friends. I hope his family was notified before seeing it plastered all over the news.  I loved him in 10 Things I Hate About You, I've probably watched it 50 times with my daughter.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/23/08 at 2:52 pm

I was thinking about the bikers. I wonder if they could get them to Oz to make sure these asshats don't ruin the funeral.

It is apparently true though. Here is a screenshot of the release from the Westboro Baptist "church":

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/19627377.html

I hope they can get there, or maybe there are some bikers that live there that can take care of the problem.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/23/08 at 6:15 pm

I wish somebody would, you know, do something about Phelps! 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/grim.gif
He's dedicated his entire life to harrassing and hurting people. I'm generally against, you know...but enough is enough!!!
First Amendment my skinny Irish ass.
::)

Anyway, I admit I've only heard of Heath Ledger, but celebrity or not, it's still so sad to see somebody die who believed there was no way out but suicide.  I have been on the brink myself.  I know the utter hopelessness and the staring into the void.  It passes and you realize there's something worth living for, even if it's just see the sun rise on another day.  If only somebody could have reached Ledger, he would have known great love for his daughter, and she would have known her father. 

Completed suicides are often terrible surprises.  If a man is absolutely determined to do it, he won't tell anybody how he feels.

Some people will say he was a handsome movie star with everything to live for.  That's not how suicidality works.  Whether you're rich and famous like Ledger or Joe Schmoe, the thought processes are just about the same.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tearyeyed.gif

Written By: snozberries on 01/23/08 at 8:52 pm

Hypocrites... God loves you as long as you're not gay...hmmm Cloverfield might be too good for them

Written By: Jessica on 01/24/08 at 10:49 am

I just read this article this morning and I'm disgusted all over again.

FOX News host John Gibson revelled in Heath Ledger's death yesterday on his radio show, finding a new opportunity to mock Brokeback Mountain (and by proxy, gay love), which in 2006 he called a "gay agenda movie," Think Progress reports:

"Playing an audio clip of the iconic quote, 'I wish I knew how to quit you' from Ledger’s gay romance movie Brokeback Mountain, Gibson disdainfully quipped, 'Well, he found out how to quit you.' Laughing, Gibson then played another clip from Brokeback Mountain in which Ledger said, 'We’re dead,' followed by his own, mocking 'We’re dead' before playing the clip again."

Gibson called Ledger a "weirdo" with a "serious drug problem" and suggested that Ledger killed himself because he had "a serious position in the (stock) market" or perhaps "watched the Clinton-Obama debate last night. I think he was an Edwards guy, cause he saw his Edwards guy was just completely irrelevant."

I shouldn't be surprised since it's a dumbass from FOX. :P

Written By: gemini on 01/24/08 at 1:16 pm

FOX News host John Gibson revelled in Heath Ledger's death yesterday on his radio show, finding a new opportunity to mock Brokeback Mountain (and by proxy, gay love), which in 2006 he called a "gay agenda movie," Think Progress reports:

"Playing an audio clip of the iconic quote, 'I wish I knew how to quit you' from Ledger’s gay romance movie Brokeback Mountain, Gibson disdainfully quipped, 'Well, he found out how to quit you.' Laughing, Gibson then played another clip from Brokeback Mountain in which Ledger said, 'We’re dead,' followed by his own, mocking 'We’re dead' before playing the clip again."

Gibson called Ledger a "weirdo" with a "serious drug problem" and suggested that Ledger killed himself because he had "a serious position in the (stock) market" or perhaps "watched the Clinton-Obama debate last night. I think he was an Edwards guy, cause he saw his Edwards guy was just completely irrelevant."

I saw a clip of that on one of the news channels last night.  What the hell is wrong with people?  Ignorant idiots. I don't know why, but this whole thing has really hit me for some reason.  And, then I hear that the first person that was called was Mary Kate Olson!  ???  before they even called 911. Please, if I'm unconcious, don't call Mary Kate Olson.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/24/08 at 6:27 pm

that is just despicable. >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/24/08 at 6:50 pm

Indeed. It says nothing about the late Mr. Ledger and everything about FOX and that crummy excuse for a human being, John Gibson.  I'll bet dollars to doughnuts he Gibson will be on Keith Olbermann's Worst Persons in the World line-up tonight, perhaps at #1.  A news network would give him his marching papers...but FOX is not news!

It's not my business to say, but I hope you don't let your son watch FOX News.  If I had kids FOX would be the only channel I'd block!

BTW, "Gay propaganda"?  Quest que cest?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 01/24/08 at 7:28 pm

Hey, no wonder John Gibson has so many bad things to say, with a face like this - I'd be angry, too.  ::)  ;D

http://www.foxnews.com/images/1324/15_61_gibson_john_320.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/24/08 at 7:58 pm

Gibson always reminds me of Eddie Haskell!

BTW, he wasn't on Olbermann's worst tonight.  Maybe tomorrow.

Written By: snozberries on 01/24/08 at 9:03 pm

Gibson always reminds me of Eddie Haskell!

BTW, he wasn't on Olbermann's worst tonight.  Maybe tomorrow.

Please don't insult Eddie Haskell...sure he was obnoxious but that was an act to cover his insecurities....this guy's just an ass.

Written By: Macphisto on 01/24/08 at 11:14 pm

I'd kill all of them myself if I knew I could get away with it.  John Gibson would also be fun to burn to death.

Written By: statsqueen on 01/25/08 at 11:54 pm

Have they ruled it a suicide or are they still trying to determine?  Last I heard the autopsy was inconclusive.  I also thought the drugs were prescription.

28 is too young.  I feel awful for his daughter and his family.

They are trying to decide what to do about "Dark Knight".

RIP Heath  :\'(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/26/08 at 12:28 am

Have they ruled it a suicide or are they still trying to determine?  Last I heard the autopsy was inconclusive.  I also thought the drugs were prescription.

I think they are leaning toward accidental overdose. :(

Written By: Tia on 01/26/08 at 3:20 am

I'd kill all of them myself if I knew I could get away with it.  John Gibson would also be fun to burn to death.
i'd rather put them in a cage and let gay people taunt them for the rest of eternity.

Written By: Jessica on 01/26/08 at 10:19 am

i'd rather put them in a cage and let gay people taunt them for the rest of eternity.

That'll work.

My theory on his death is this. He had pneumonia, right? So say he was so ill that he took his prescription meds once, fell asleep, woke up disoriented, and thinking he hadn't taken his meds. So he takes them again. With his body being run down by the pneumonia, plus the extra doses of meds, plus whatever meds he was taking for the pneumonia....there you go. :(

Written By: kellygoo72 on 01/26/08 at 9:48 pm

Ditto..... So sad.  may :\'( he Rest in Peace

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/08 at 4:32 am

It has just been reported on the radio that Heath Ledger died from a heart attack.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/28/08 at 7:53 am

It has just been reported on the radio that Heath Ledger died from a heart attack.

OMG...are you serious?  :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/08 at 7:58 am

OMG...are you serious?  :\'(
Heath Ledger May Have Died of Heart Attack

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/28/08 at 8:00 am

Heath Ledger May Have Died of Heart Attack

That is so sad. He was so young, and appeared to be so healthy, etc...but I have heard of other very young people dying of heart attacks. :(

Written By: snozberries on 01/29/08 at 3:50 am

That is so sad. He was so young, and appeared to be so healthy, etc...but I have heard of other very young people dying of heart attacks. :(

not sleeping... abusing sleeping pills...all of that puts a great strain on the heart.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/29/08 at 8:00 am

not sleeping... abusing sleeping pills...all of that puts a great strain on the heart.

yes...that, and sometimes people just have a problem from when they are young..and they just don't know. My husband's best friend from when they were younger just recently passed away (about 4 years ago)...and he was only in his mid 20's. It was the same sort of thing..and he had no idea that he even had a problem. :(

Written By: snozberries on 01/29/08 at 2:58 pm

yes...that, and sometimes people just have a problem from when they are young..and they just don't know. My husband's best friend from when they were younger just recently passed away (about 4 years ago)...and he was only in his mid 20's. It was the same sort of thing..and he had no idea that he even had a problem. :(

same with basketballers Hank Gathers & Reggie Lewis...but I'm gonna go out on limb and say Heath's problems were self induced not genetic... I could always be wrong (it's happened before)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/06/08 at 9:59 am

Hollywood actor Heath Ledger died of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs, the New York City medical examiner's office has ruled.

Written By: Max Power on 02/25/09 at 11:29 am

Well he did it, he won.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/25/09 at 9:21 pm

Well he did it, he won.

Hollywood actor Heath Ledger died of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs, the New York City medical examiner's office has ruled.

Yeah, whatever.  Another glorified selfish junkie.

I am sure that his orphaned daughter will cherish the Oscar.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/25/09 at 10:54 pm

Yeah, whatever.  Another glorified selfish junkie.

I am sure that his orphaned daughter will cherish the Oscar.

Hey man, don't you rank on Heath, he was a beautiful cat; he was sensitive...an artist.  You don't know the pain in the soul when you're a sensitive artist; it like never goes away and stuff no matter how rich and famous you get!  So you just shut your piehole! 

Yeah!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/cwm10.gif

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/09 at 5:58 am

Heath Ledger won a posthumous Oscar for supporting actor for The Dark Knight.

The actor's family received the award on behalf of Ledger, who died in January 2008.

"We have been truly overwhelmed by the honour and respect being bestowed upon him with this award," his mother said.

Ledger becomes only the second performer to win a posthumous Oscar, following Peter Finch's win for Network in 1977.

Written By: ninny on 02/26/09 at 6:35 am

Heath Ledger won a posthumous Oscar for supporting actor for The Dark Knight.

The actor's family received the award on behalf of Ledger, who died in January 2008.

"We have been truly overwhelmed by the honour and respect being bestowed upon him with this award," his mother said.

Ledger becomes only the second performer to win a posthumous Oscar, following Peter Finch's win for Network in 1977.

I have not seen a movie in years :-[. Was his performance that good? Was it better than the other 3 nominated? Or did his passing help him win the award?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/09 at 6:37 am

I have not seen a movie in years :-[. Was his performance that good? Was it better than the other 3 nominated? Or did his passing help him win the award?
I cannot answer that for I still yet to see The Dark Knight.

Written By: Max Power on 02/26/09 at 10:22 am

I cannot answer that for I still yet to see The Dark Knight.

Same here, only thing I can guarentee is that it's probably better than Robert Downey Jr. (no offense) whose nomination took me by surprise, especially when it's for "Tropic Thunder". :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/26/09 at 11:18 am

IMO, he was by far the best Joker ever.

Written By: snozberries on 03/15/09 at 2:01 pm

I have not seen a movie in years :-was that good.... he deserved to win even if he hadn't died!

Written By: snozberries on 03/15/09 at 2:03 pm

Same here, only thing I can guarentee is that it's probably better than Robert Downey Jr. (no offense) whose nomination took me by surprise, especially when it's for "Tropic Thunder". :P

But RD JR is an American actor, playing an Australian actor, playing an American Black man  ;D 

Check for new replies or respond here...