inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Electronic music composer Allen Strange dies at 64

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/25/08 at 11:21 pm

http://www.voxnovus.com/composer/Allen_Strange.htm

ALLEN STRANGE
6/26/43--2/20/08

Retired from his professorship at UC San Diego in 2002 to pursue composing full-tme with his wife and collaborator, violinist Patricia Strange. 
Over the past 40 years, Strange composed dozens of pieces of electronic, electroacoustic, mixed media, and acoustic works as well as works for theater and festivals.  His 1972 text "Electronic Music: Systems, Techniques, and Controls" is, with some revisions, is still in use. 

I first became familiar with Strange's music through his contributions to the CDCM Computer Music Series (Centaur Records) and the 60 x 60 Concerts.  See the above link from my friend Rob Voisey.

In 2005, Strange sent me a special CD of new material from his studios on Bainbridge Island, Washington. 

He knew how to make electronic music complex and scholarly but at the same time quirky and fun, a combination more sought than achieved in the field. I never knew the man, but he was always grateful for my broadcasts.

He will be sorely missed in the modern music community.

Check for new replies or respond here...