inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Film Director Anthony Minghella dies aged 54

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/08 at 8:42 am

From BBC News Online

British film director Anthony Minghella has died at the age of 54, his agent has said.

Minghella, whose films include Truly, Madly, Deeply and Cold Mountain, was chairman of the British Film Institute.

In 1996, he won an Oscar for directing The English Patient and was also Oscar-nominated for writing the screenplay for 1999's The Talented Mr Ripley.

He has also directed a TV episode of book The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, due to be screened this Easter.

A 90-minute pilot, directed by Minghella and co-written with Richard Curtis, is due to be screened on BBC One.

Minghella began his career as a writer with his early radio plays winning several awards.

He made his first film, Truly, Madly, Deeply, in 1991, followed by The English Patient and The Talented Mr Ripley.

When he took on the role of chairman of the British Film Institute (BFI) in 2003, he told the BBC: "We're not getting enough movies made here, our studios aren't busy enough, we don't have enough studios.

"We're not good at lassoing the talent we have here and containing it within the British Isles, and we should all be working to address that."

Subject: Re: Film Director Anthony Minghella dies aged 54

Written By: whistledog on 03/19/08 at 8:03 pm

I own 'Cold Mountain' on DVD.  What a powerful film

R.I.P. to a great dramatic director!  He made lots of good movies.  I saw 'Talented Mr. Ripley' in the theatres when it came out and I really enjoyed it

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/27/08 at 1:46 pm

Hundreds of family members, friends and film industry colleagues have gathered for a thanksgiving service for director Anthony Minghella, who died in March.

Written By: nally on 05/01/08 at 11:59 pm

54...a relatively young age to die :\'(

He's definitely going to be missed.

Check for new replies or respond here...