inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Actor Paul Scofield dies aged 86

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/08 at 4:39 am

Just announced on the radio that the Oscar winning actor his died.

Reports are sketchy, more on this when the information is available.

:\'(

Subject: Re: Actor Paul Scofield dies aged 86

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/08 at 5:01 am

From BBC News Online

Oscar-winning actor Paul Scofield died at the age of 86, his agent has said.

Scofield won the Academy Award for best actor in 1967 for A Man for All Seasons, and was also nominated in 1995 for best supporting actor in Quiz Show.

The British-born actor started his stage career in 1940, and later became known for his Shakespearean roles.

He played King Lear in the 1972 film version of Shakespeare's play, and also played the French King in Kenneth Branagh's Henry V in 1989.

The actor died peacefully on Wednesday in a hospital near his Sussex home, his agent Rosalind Chatto said. He had been diagnosed with leukaemia.

Scofield won his Oscar for playing Sir Thomas More in A Man for All Seasons, based on the life of the 16th Century Lord Chancellor.

Written By: ninny on 03/20/08 at 9:43 am

RIP Paul,you truly were "A Man For all Season's" :\'(

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/20/08 at 9:51 am

Oh no.  A Man For All Seasons is one of my favorite movies.  He deserved that Academy Award.  I believe he also reads The Chronicles of Narnia an audio book.

A great talent is gone.  RIP Paulhttp://www.chins-n-quills.com/forums/images/smilies/cry2.gif

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/08 at 9:57 am

Having had to studied Sir Thomas More for tudor history at school, I was made aware of his superb acting at my tender young age.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 03/20/08 at 10:05 am

Having had to studied Sir Thomas More for tudor history at school, I was made aware of his superb acting at my tender young age.

I first saw the movie when I was 8, even then I thought it was a fantastic movie.  Paul had a way of playing a character in a certain way that they don't do anymore.  Perhaps it's old Shakespearian acting, but I liked it.

Check for new replies or respond here...