inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Beatles' guru Neil Aspinall dies

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/08 at 12:09 pm

Full Report on BBC News Online

The man who ran Apple Records for the Beatles, Neil Aspinall, has died aged 66, the company has announced.

A childhood friend of Paul McCartney and John Lennon, he was the group's road manager before heading Apple Corps for 37 years.

In a joint statement, Sir Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono and Apple Corps paid tribute to "Neil's trusting stewardship and guidance".

Despite no musical training, he sang in the chorus of "Yellow Submarine".

Subject: Re: Beatles' guru Neil Aspinall dies

Written By: Paul on 03/24/08 at 3:57 pm

Despite no musical training, he sang in the chorus of "Yellow Submarine".

I think he was also responsible for some anonymous guitar noodling on Harrison's yawnfest of 'Within You Without You' on Pepper...

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/08 at 4:13 pm

On Wikipedia (if the facts are true?)

"Although not a musician, Aspinall made minor contributions to a handful of the Beatles' recordings. He played a tamboura on "Within You Without You", harmonica on "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!", some percussion on "Magical Mystery Tour", and was among the many participants singing on the chorus of "Yellow Submarine". He is also cited as the person who came up with the idea of the Beatles playing up to the rumours that Paul McCartney died in a car accident.attribution needed]"

Written By: danootaandme on 03/24/08 at 4:55 pm

Neil Aspinall was an integral part of the Beatles organization, as much a part as Brian Epstein.    :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/24/08 at 4:56 pm

Neil Aspinall was an integral part of the Beatles organization, as much a part as Brian Epstein.    :\'(
Being Brian Epstein assistant he tookover when BE died.

Written By: Paul on 03/24/08 at 5:03 pm

On Wikipedia (if the facts are true?)

Well, some of my 'facts' are a little dubious, to say the least!

"He played a tamboura on "Within You Without You"

Well, I knew he'd done something on there...but truth be told, the thing was sending me to sleep!

Written By: danootaandme on 03/24/08 at 5:40 pm

Well, some of my 'facts' are a little dubious, to say the least!

Well, I knew he'd done something on there...but truth be told, the thing was sending me to sleep!

It was pretty dull....until that part about getting it on with Pete Bests mother and subsequently being the father of Petes 1/2 brother  :o

Written By: Paul on 03/24/08 at 5:46 pm

It was pretty dull....until that part about getting it on with Pete Bests mother and subsequently being the father of Petes 1/2 brother   :o

Weird 'n wacky lot, those Liverpudlians!  ;)

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/26/08 at 5:15 pm

He will be amissed.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/27/08 at 8:16 pm

I just heard about this.  How very sad!  Too young to go  :(

He was influential in the Beatles career.  He will be greatly missed.  R.I.P, Neil Aspinall  :\'(

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/27/08 at 9:29 pm

Neil's involvement was huge in so many ways. Sad to see him and so many Beatles experiences and memories pass. That was a very well written article  8)

rest in peace Neil Aspiinall

Written By: KKay on 03/27/08 at 9:33 pm

It sure is a sad thing.

My husband does publicity for Apple Corps and he said that  the word is that he was one of the most loved men he ever heard commented about.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/27/08 at 9:38 pm

It sure is a sad thing.

My husband does publicity for Apple Corps and he said that  the word is that he was one of the most loved men he ever heard commented about.
well, that's an amazing compliment for the man, to be sure. When it comes from your peers and others in the industry, it means so much. I'll think of him the next time I listen to the Beatles which will be tomorrow night during our poker game. I'll make a dedication to Neil  8)

Written By: KKay on 03/27/08 at 9:59 pm

well, that's an amazing compliment for the man, to be sure. When it comes from your peers and others in the industry, it means so much. I'll think of him the next time I listen to the Beatles which will be tomorrow night during our poker game. I'll make a dedication to Neil  8)

nicely done.

Check for new replies or respond here...