inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jazz legend Humphrey Lyttelton dies at 86

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/08 at 11:51 am

From BBC News Online

Veteran jazz musician and radio host Humphrey Lyttelton has died aged 86.

The chairman of BBC Radio 4's comedy panel show I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue recently had surgery in an attempt to repair an aortic aneurysm.

The latest series of the quiz programme was cancelled after Lyttelton was admitted to Barnet Hospital in north London on 16 April.

BBC Director General Mark Thompson described "Humph" as "a unique, irreplaceable talent".

Lyttelton retired from hosting Radio 2's The Best of Jazz last month after more than 40 years presenting the show.

He hosted I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue - the self-styled "antidote to panel games" - since 1972, appearing alongside regulars Graeme Garden, Barry Cryer and Tim Brooke-Taylor.

In 1993, he received a Sony Gold Award for services to broadcasting.

Lyttelton began playing the trumpet in 1936 and was still touring with his band up until his admission to hospital.

Best known for the song Bad Penny Blues, they became the first British jazz act to enter the top 20 in 1956.

He was honoured with a lifetime achievement award at both the Post Office British Jazz Awards in 2000 and at the first BBC Jazz Awards in 2001.

Subject: Re: Jazz legend Humphrey Lyttelton dies at 86

Written By: Paul on 04/27/08 at 11:02 am

A mighty talent which has sadly slipped away from us... :\'(

RIP 'Humph'...

Subject: Re: Jazz legend Humphrey Lyttelton dies at 86

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/27/08 at 11:16 am

Samantha will miss him.

Check for new replies or respond here...