inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 'Carol Burnett' star Harvey Korman dies at 81

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/29/08 at 7:27 pm

He will always be remembered the most, IMO as Ed, Eunice's crazy bumbling husband on Mama's Family. :\'(

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/2894/harveynbc1nv8.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/obit_korman

LOS ANGELES - Harvey Korman, the tall, versatile comedian who won four Emmys for his outrageously funny contributions to "The Carol Burnett Show" and played a conniving politician to hilarious effect in "Blazing Saddles," died Thursday. He was 81.

Korman died at UCLA Medical Center after suffering complications from the rupture of an abdominal aortic aneurysm four months ago, his family said. He had undergone several major operations.

"He was a brilliant comedian and a brilliant father," daughter Kate Korman said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "He had a very good sense of humor in real life. "

A natural second banana, Korman gained attention on "The Danny Kaye Show," appearing in skits with the star. He joined the show in its second season in 1964 and continued until it was canceled in 1967. That same year he became a cast member in the first season of "The Carol Burnett Show."

Burnett and Korman developed into the perfect pair with their burlesques of classic movies such as "Gone With the Wind" and soap operas like "As the World Turns" (their version was called "As the Stomach Turns").

Another recurring skit featured them as "Ed and Eunice," a staid married couple who were constantly at odds with the wife's mother (a young Vickie Lawrence in a gray wig). In "Old Folks at Home," they were a combative married couple bedeviled by Lawrence as Burnett's troublesome young sister.

Korman revealed the secret to the long-running show's success in a 2005 interview: "We were an ensemble, and Carol had the most incredible attitude. I've never worked with a star of that magnitude who was willing to give so much away."

Burnett was devastated by Korman's death, said her assistant, Angie Horejsi.

"She loved Harvey very much," Horejsi said.

After 10 successful seasons, Korman left Burnett's show in 1977 for his own series. Dick Van Dyke took his place, but the chemistry was lacking and the Burnett show was canceled two years later. "The Harvey Korman Show" also failed, as did other series starring the actor.

"It takes a certain type of person to be a television star," he said in that 2005 interview. "I didn't have whatever that is. I come across as kind of snobbish and maybe a little too bright. ... Give me something bizarre to play or put me in a dress and I'm fine."

His most memorable film role was as the outlandish Hedley Lamarr (who was endlessly exasperated when people called him Hedy) in Mel Brooks' 1974 Western satire, "Blazing Saddles."

"A world without Harvey Korman — it's a more serious world," Brooks told the AP on Thursday. "It was very dangerous for me to work with him because if our eyes met we'd crash to floor in comic ecstasy. It was comedy heaven to make Harvey Korman laugh."

He also appeared in the Brooks comedies "High Anxiety," "The History of the World Part I" and "Dracula: Dead and Loving It," as well as two "Pink Panther" moves, "Trail of the Pink Panther" in 1982 and "Curse of the Pink Panther" in 1983.

Korman's other films included "Gypsy," "Huckleberry Finn" (as the King), "Herbie Goes Bananas" and "Bud and Lou" (as legendary straightman Bud Abbott to Buddy Hackett's Lou Costello). He also provided the voice of Dictabird in the 1994 live-action feature "The Flintstones."

In television, Korman guest-starred in dozens of series including "The Donna Reed Show," "Dr. Kildare," "Perry Mason," "The Wild Wild West," "The Muppet Show," "The Love Boat," "The Roseanne Show" and "Burke's Law."

In their '70s, he and Tim Conway, one of his Burnett show co-stars, toured the country with their show "Tim Conway and Harvey Korman: Together Again." They did 120 shows a year, sometimes as many as six or eight in a weekend.

Korman had an operation in late January on a non-cancerous brain tumor and pulled through "with flying colors," Kate Korman said. Less than a day after coming home, he was re-admitted because of the ruptured aneurysm and was given a few hours to live. But he survived for another four months.

"He fought until the very end. He didn't want to die. He fought for months and months," said Kate Korman.

Harvey Herschel Korman was born Feb. 15, 1927, in Chicago. He left college for service in the U.S. Navy, resuming his studies afterward at the Goodman School of Drama at the Chicago Art Institute. After four years, he decided to try New York.

"For the next 13 years I tried to get on Broadway, on off-Broadway, under or beside Broadway," he told a reporter in 1971.

He had no luck and had to support himself as a restaurant cashier. Finally, in desperation, he and a friend formed a nightclub comedy act.

"We were fired our first night in a club, between the first and second shows," he recalled.

After returning to Chicago, Korman decided to try Hollywood, reasoning that "at least I'd feel warm and comfortable while I failed."

For three years he sold cars and worked as a doorman at a movie theater. Then he landed the job with Kaye.

In 1960 Korman married Donna Elhart and they had two children, Maria and Christopher. They divorced in 1977. Two more children, Katherine and Laura, were born of his 1982 marriage to Deborah Fritz.

In addition to his daughter Kate, he is survived by his wife and the three other children.

Subject: Re: 'Carol Burnett' star Harvey Korman dies at 81

Written By: KKay on 05/29/08 at 7:28 pm

the end of entertianment.  he was one of the funniest guys to hit tv.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/29/08 at 7:31 pm

Rest in Peace, Mr. Korman.  :\'(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/29/08 at 7:32 pm

the end of entertianment.  he was one of the funniest guys to hit tv.

I agree. All of the good ones are leaving this Earth. :(

Written By: saver on 05/29/08 at 7:40 pm

GOD needed a laugh. :\'( RIP Harvey Korman.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/29/08 at 7:42 pm

Harvey bit it?  So sad, he was a classic...

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/29/08 at 7:51 pm

So sad, his skits with Tim Conway are some of the most classic bits of comedy ever... he will certainly be missed... :(

Written By: whistledog on 05/29/08 at 7:54 pm

OK I am very sad.  I loved him as Ed Higgins on Mama's Family.  It's a shame they wrote him and Carol out of the show when it was syndicated

R.I.P. Mr. Korman.  You gave us some great laughs

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/29/08 at 8:04 pm

His bud Tim Conway is a Clevelander.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/29/08 at 9:25 pm

:\'(

I remember him from all those Mel Brooks movies, especially as Hedley Lamarr in "Blazing Saddles."

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/29/08 at 9:39 pm

Damn.

Definitely one of the great ones.

I used to love how Tim Conway used to start ad-libbing on the Carol Burnett Show just to see if he could make Harvey Korman bust out laughing in the middle of a sketch.

I remember him from all those Mel Brooks movies, especially as Hedley Lamarr in "Blazing Saddles."

Yeah, I was thinking that too, "Blazing Saddles" is one of my favorite movies.

RIP, Harvey.  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/30/08 at 1:44 am

His bud Tim Conway is a Clevelander.

I thought that Tim was from Chagrin Falls ???

I think that the Blazing Saddles cast must have some sort of curse on it.  Slim Pickens, Madeline Kahn and Cleavon Little all met their maker at fairly early ages.  Count Basie and Anne Bancroft are also on the other side of the grass, and now Harvey is gone.  :-\\

I just checked Harvey's resume on IMDb, man he was on al the cool 60s/70s TV shows and movies.  Perry Mason, Son of Flubber, Red Skeleton, Route 66, Dennis the Menace, Hazel, Jack Benny, Lucy, Gidget, The Munsters, F Troop, Wild Wild West to name just a few.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/08 at 2:57 am

So sad, I remember him best from the Mel Brooks movies.  :\'(

R.I.P. Harvey Korman

Written By: ninny on 05/30/08 at 5:45 am

So sad he was a great comedic talent.  RIP Harvey :\'(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/30/08 at 6:44 am

R.I.P. to a true classic comic, Harvey Korman.  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/30/08 at 10:04 am

I used to watch Carol Burnett religiously. I never really thought the skits with Harvey Korman & Tim Conway were especially funny but what always cracked me up was Harvey trying so hard NOT to laugh. I would just keep my eye on his mouth and you can see the sides curling up and his body start to shake. By that time, I was always in hysterics.

I also like him in the Mel Brooks movies: Count de Money.

FYI: Harvey was the voice of the Great Gazoo on the Flintstones.

He will be missed.  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: nally on 05/30/08 at 5:34 pm

I knew about him from the movie "Herbie Goes Bananas", in which he played a ship captain. Anyway, he lived a good long life.

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/01/08 at 4:58 am

What a loss  :\'(

Seriously, I can't say how many times this man has made me laugh as both a child watching the Carol Burnett Show and an adult in Mel Brooks films, and now he's gone.

Just think of what lesser films "Blazing Saddles" as Hedy Lamarr (Hedley, HEDLEY!) or as Count DeMoney (thats de Monet, DE MONET!) "History of the World Pt. 1" would be without Mr. Korman.

Classic line: "Count de Monet: Don't get saucy with me, Bearnaise!"  ;D

We lost a good one, rest in peace Mr. Korman, rest in peace. :\'(

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/01/08 at 11:55 pm

He also played a reoccurring characters on the original Addams Family series.  Usually as a businessman.

He was great in History of the World Part 1.

RIP Harvey. :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...