inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Scott Kalitta makes his last 1/4mile run

Written By: Red Ant on 06/23/08 at 6:52 pm

http://www.nhra.com/2008/kalitta/index.html

Ant

Subject: Re: Scott Kalitta makes his last 1/4mile run

Written By: Shacks Train on 06/23/08 at 10:39 pm

I'm surprized anyone would want to run at that track as it has a "Dead" end......Concrete walls will stop ya real quick.....Kenny bernstien did a lot for saftey of drivers of Floppers but they still remain the most dangerous cars of the top fuel world!...That accident would have been avoidable had the track been a straight run-out.....Sad indeed!.....No time wasted posting that on youtube!
& for all the great runs he made.Thats what he'll be remembered for!

Written By: Red Ant on 06/25/08 at 1:34 pm

I'm surprized anyone would want to run at that track as it has a "Dead" end......Concrete walls will stop ya real quick.....Kenny bernstien did a lot for saftey of drivers of Floppers but they still remain the most dangerous cars of the top fuel world!...That accident would have been avoidable had the track been a straight run-out.....Sad indeed!.....No time wasted posting that on youtube!
& for all the great runs he made.Thats what he'll be remembered for!

Reportedly, past the end of the track is either a public highway or a body of water (hard to find out at this point). Extending the track is not an option. The track is one of the oldest still raced, and was designed in a time where 250mph was about the max. Top fuel cars routinely go 320+ now.

Looks like the blower exploded as he crossed the line at 300mph, which took out the parachutes as well as rendered Scott unable to control the car. There is a sand trap at the end, but the way his car hit it caused it to launch rather than dig in and slow down. The impact at the end had a 0% probability of survival - no one hits a concrete wall and pole at a 90* angle at 250 mph and lives. It's the only wreck I've seen where I knew the driver did not live through it.

There's been some talk of lengthening the sand pit, putting in nets or remote cut offs in the event of a fire/explosion, but it's too late in this case.

Ant

Written By: STUCKONYOU on 07/03/08 at 12:25 pm

that is just nuts  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...