inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: (Estelle)Getty gone

Written By: saver on 07/22/08 at 1:57 pm

Golden Girls loses one....RIP

Subject: Re: (Estelle)Getty gone

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/22/08 at 2:12 pm

:-[ I thought she had already passed.  RIP Estelle!

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 07/22/08 at 4:31 pm

Goodbye, our beloved Estelle... thank you for being a friend! :( You brought us all so much joy as Sophia Petrillo and we will never forget you, as you still make us laugh and will continue to do so forever in reruns. Sophia now joins Sal up in heaven... You will be missed, Estelle...

Written By: nally on 07/22/08 at 4:42 pm

I just found out about her passing. She lived a good long life. :)

She would have been 85 this Friday, for the record. :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/22/08 at 5:13 pm

So sad, and she will be missed.

...I just used a picture of her yesterday in the Song and Group Quiz.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/22/08 at 5:53 pm

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/22/08 at 5:56 pm

I just found out about her passing. She lived a good long life. :)

She would have been 85 this Friday, for the record. :\'(

Interestingly, Bea Arthur  :-* , who played Estelle's daughter on TV, turned 86 back in May.  :o

Written By: cinnabon on 07/22/08 at 6:19 pm

RIP Estelle!  :\'(

Written By: Dagwood on 07/22/08 at 6:52 pm

So sad, but at least she is free from her Dementia.  Rest in peace, Estelle.  You will be missed.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/22/08 at 8:08 pm

RIP Estelle Getty. A funny lady who will be missed terribly.  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

Written By: whistledog on 07/23/08 at 12:53 am

Being a BIG fan of 'The Golden Girls' and all it's spin-off's, I will miss Estelle very much.  She was a talented actress, and kept prime-time audiences laughing for 10 consecutive years as Sophia Petrillo

R.I.P. Sophia :\'(

When I was a kid, 'Empty Nest' was one of my favourite TV shows.  When 'The Golden Palace' got cancelled in 1993, Estelle officially joined 'Empty Nest' for it's final 2 seasons, making her the only actress in TV history to play the same character in a regular role (as credited in the opening credits) on three different TV shows. 

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/08 at 3:16 am

's okay so did I....  I also remember her from Tootsie and Mask (w/ Cher & Eric Stoltz- not Jim Carrey)

Written By: robby76 on 07/23/08 at 3:30 am

She was without a doubt the highlight of The Golden Girls. God bless you Estelle! You shall forever remain in my heart as Sophia!

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/23/08 at 8:28 am

's okay so did I....   I also remember her from Tootsie and Mask (w/ Cher & Eric Stoltz- not Jim Carrey)
I'm sure you'll not be surprised to learn that I did not see any of those movies and only knew her as Sophia.

Written By: Bobby on 07/23/08 at 9:37 am

I'm sure you'll not be surprised to learn that I did not see any of those movies and only knew her as Sophia.

Awww, poor woman. Though admittedly, she looked about 85 when she was doing 'The Golden Girls'.

Getty was also the owner of the clothes department store in 'Mannequin' and in the film 'Stop or my mum will shoot' with Sylvester Stallone.

Written By: Marian on 07/23/08 at 2:59 pm

No she had advanced alzheimers,s.i guess kind of like reagan.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/23/08 at 4:17 pm

So sad.  RIP Estelle. :\'(

Written By: whistledog on 07/23/08 at 8:28 pm

Getty was also the owner of the clothes department store in 'Mannequin' and in the film 'Stop or my mum will shoot' with Sylvester Stallone.

Both great films.  Not alot of people liked 'Stop! or my Mom Will Shoot!' but I thought it was great! :)

Written By: snozberries on 07/27/08 at 11:57 am

oh wow...both films are quite excellent and you should check them out when you have the time.  her roles were small but still good movies.

Written By: snozberries on 07/27/08 at 11:58 am

Awww, poor woman. Though admittedly, she looked about 85 when she was doing 'The Golden Girls'.

naw...that was just good make up and a wig. she didn't look that old without the make up...refer to the episodes in the past when she played "younger sophia"

Written By: Bobby on 07/27/08 at 3:55 pm

naw...that was just good make up and a wig. she didn't look that old without the make up...refer to the episodes in the past when she played "younger sophia"

Credit to the make-up department on such a transformation - she made me a believer.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 07/27/08 at 5:25 pm

Credit to the make-up department on such a transformation - she made me a believer.  ;D

I know I was shocked too because I thought she was really that old in the beginning

Written By: ninny on 07/30/08 at 5:53 am

I'm embarrassed to say this,but so did I..I love watching the Golden Girls...RIP Estelle :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...