inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Paul Newman has died!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/08 at 9:02 am

Just announced on the radio Paul Newman has died from his cancer condition  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

Subject: Re: Paul Newman has died!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/27/08 at 9:05 am

I just saw the headline.  How very, very sad!  :\'(   :\'(   :\'(

He will be greatly missed.  R.I.P., Paul Newman

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26913988/

Written By: Stompgal on 09/27/08 at 10:12 am

I heard this on the radio about half an hour ago and it made me think of the 'Paul Newman on his way' article.

RIP Paul.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/27/08 at 11:14 am

It is not surprising but still sad.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Doc Brown on 09/27/08 at 11:29 am

From fans of Pixar everywhere, as well as Lightning, Sally, Mater...

"And so we've come, to the End Of The Road... still we can't let go... it's unnatural... you belong to us, we belong to you..."

We're gonna miss you, Doc Hudson.

Your Pal,
Doc Brown

:(

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/27/08 at 11:41 am

What a sad day, such a nice down to Earth Man. He will be greatly missed, but his good works will carry on throuigh Newmans own and his many foundations.  R.I.P. Paul, We all loved you http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/pfiade.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYqwYrbwHeM

Written By: star80 on 09/27/08 at 12:05 pm

I just heard about it this morning from my boyfriend.  I was sad.  He was a great actor.

Written By: snozberries on 09/27/08 at 12:09 pm

This is the news that greeted me when I first came into work today.  I was talking to a young employee (20-22) and one of the officers comes interrupts our conversation to tell me Paul Newman has died and the kid  looks at me and asks "who's Paul Newman. Is he a famous guy or something?"  ::)  How sad!

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/27/08 at 12:43 pm

This is the news that greeted me when I first came into work today.  I was talking to a young employee (20-22) and one of the officers comes interrupts our conversation to tell me Paul Newman has died and the kid  looks at me and asks "who's Paul Newman. Is he a famous guy or something?"  ::)  How sad!

How could anyone not know Paul Newman? Even my 18 yr old knows him. It is sad.

Written By: Marian on 09/27/08 at 1:59 pm

This is the news that greeted me when I first came into work today.  I was talking to a young employee (20-22) and one of the officers comes interrupts our conversation to tell me Paul Newman has died and the kid  looks at me and asks "who's Paul Newman. Is he a famous guy or something?"   ::)   How sad!
WEll,he wasn't a rapper!LOL ::)

Written By: ninny on 09/27/08 at 2:01 pm

Such sad news..RIP Paul :\'( :\'(

Written By: snozberries on 09/27/08 at 2:06 pm

WEll,he wasn't a rapper!LOL ::)

;D no he

Written By: Gis on 09/27/08 at 2:42 pm

OH that's so sad.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/27/08 at 2:42 pm

OH that's so sad.
I hope the BBC show a film in tribute for him.

Written By: snozberries on 09/27/08 at 3:04 pm

I hope the BBC show a film in tribute for him.

I was thinking the same thing for FMC (Fox movie channel) or TMC (Turner classic movies) I'd like to see Hud & Cool Hand Luke today

Written By: Dagwood on 09/27/08 at 3:30 pm

Such a shock.  He will be missed.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/27/08 at 3:43 pm

They don't come any better than him, anytime, anywhere.  :\'( :\'(

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh158/eryxconicus/Lust meme/newman-paul-photo-xl-paul-newman-62.jpg

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/27/08 at 5:05 pm

Expected yes, sad as hell . . . you bet.  Paul was one of those rare actors who acting came naturally.  He was also a great humanitarian too.  RIP Paul. :\'(

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/27/08 at 5:49 pm

I was thinking the same thing for FMC (Fox movie channel) or TMC (Turner classic movies) I'd like to see Hud & Cool Hand Luke today

me too, I'm gonna check netfilx too

Written By: greenjello74 on 09/27/08 at 5:50 pm

They don't come any better than him, anytime, anywhere.  :\'( :\'(

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh158/eryxconicus/Lust meme/newman-paul-photo-xl-paul-newman-62.jpg

Still quite HOT, my Mom will be happy, he was her fav and she passed in Jan. Maybe they will meet up in the afterlife.

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/27/08 at 7:48 pm

RIP Paul Newman. You will be missed so very, very much!!!!!!  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/27/08 at 8:15 pm

Paul was such an amazing man and gifted actor. He starred in some of my favorite films of all time: Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Hud and Cool Hand Luke. He raised hundreds of millions of dollars for charity with his brand of salad dressing and his wonderful camp for disadvantaged youth. Truly, one of the last Greats. He will be very, very missed. My condolences to his wife of many years and their children...

Written By: holicman on 09/28/08 at 2:49 am

What some may not know is that Paul was a huge racing fan. He was a great driver in his own right, with his accomplishments behind the wheel including a 2nd place at LeMans. He kept racing into his 70's, and was always competitive. While most Americans were obsessed with oval racing, he was always a road racer first and foremost.

He also co-owned the Newman/Haas(/Lanigan) Racing team in Indycar/CART/Champ Car/Indycar. The team was always very successful, and his drivers included Mario Andretti, Michael Andretti, Nigel Mansell, and Sebastian Bourdais.

The racing world and the entertainment industry including the prestige of being a big name in Hollywood he will be sorely missed.

RIP Paul Newman.

Written By: nally on 09/28/08 at 4:54 pm

I heard about this on the TV yesterday... as well as on ESPN; apparently he was involved in sports as well as acting.

What some may not know is that Paul was a huge racing fan. He was a great driver in his own right, with his accomplishments behind the wheel including a 2nd place at LeMans. He kept racing into his 70's, and was always competitive. While most Americans were obsessed with oval racing, he was always a road racer first and foremost.

He also co-owned the Newman/Haas(/Lanigan) Racing team in Indycar/CART/Champ Car/Indycar. The team was always very successful, and his drivers included Mario Andretti, Michael Andretti, Nigel Mansell, and Sebastian Bourdais.

The racing world and the entertainment industry including the prestige of being a big name in Hollywood he will be sorely missed.

RIP Paul Newman.

Seems like he had a good long life, both on and off the screen. And yes, he'll be missed greatly.

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/28/08 at 5:21 pm

Double-ow for me since he was a Clevelander (Well, he was raised in Shaker Heights.)

But I think my town should dedicate something for him.

Written By: Green Lantern on 09/29/08 at 12:58 am

Yeah ......... this wasn't totally unexpected ............. since I learnt from THIS site .......... 3 months back, that he was at death's door. Surprised he held on so long. Only discovered his death, 2 hours back, by spotting front page newspaper headlines.

No doubt, loads of tributes to him on our tv stations tonight. When it comes to legends, he was right up there. Watched 'Exodus' ... whilst in UK (first time). Whilst a typically strong performance from him ........ not really my cup of tea (the movie). Too long.

My fave movies of his ? 'The Hustler' .... and 'Cool hand Luke'.

Yes, as one of laser blue eyes (well, I have had such remarks years ago) ... about the only people I could see as being on a par, were him, and Steve McQueen. Unfortunately ... I will never be rich / famous /adored ... like these MEGA-talents.

R.I.P. Paul Newman

P. S.  Maybe a year back .... when I thought of quitting again, I made a whole bunch of pics, comparing myself to the rebel hero of Cool Hand Luke (as a final statement / self-epitath ) .  Ultimately, thought better of it, and never posted any of that ......   :-X   Now that I've found my feet, / become less rebellious (?) ....... no need.    8)

P.P. S. ...........'duel of the blue eyes' ..... occurred in the rivetting  'Towering Inferno' ........... in which both McQueen and Newman starred together. Not sure who won that duel.  :-\\

Written By: Davester on 09/29/08 at 1:51 am

Aw... :(

Decent actor.  His leading role in one of the greatest movies of all time...Cool Hand Luke..!

Maybe now we'll see that long overdue special edition of CHL... ::)

Written By: Green Lantern on 09/29/08 at 1:54 am

Aw... :(

Decent actor despite his leading role in one of the greatest movies of all time...Cool Hand Luke..!

Maybe now we'll see that long overdue special edition of CHL... ::)

'Despite' (?) ......... a strange choice of words, Davester.  You didn't like his acting in one of the great movies of all time ?  ???  Not sure where that movie would be, without his essential contribution ....    ???      :-\\

Written By: Davester on 09/29/08 at 2:07 am

'Despite' (?) ......... a strange choice of words, Davester.  You didn't like his acting in one of the great movies of all time ?   ???  Not sure where that movie would be, without his essential contribution ....    ???      :-\\

Was supposed to be ironic.  *sigh*...oh well...

Paul Newman was most convincing in CHL and it seems the role was tailor made to fit him.  Outside of that role I find his acting fair-to-middlin'...

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is overrated, IMO, and I only say that because I wanted to use the word 'overrated' at least once before I go to bed...

Written By: Green Lantern on 09/29/08 at 2:11 am

Was supposed to be ironic.  *sigh*...oh well...

Paul Newman was most convincing in CHL and it seems the role was tailor made to fit him.  Outside of that role I find his acting fair-to-middlin'...

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is overrated, IMO, and I only say that because I wanted to use the word 'overrated' at least once before I go to bed...

Oh. No worries, Davester.  Guess I'll have to host my irony sensing skills.     :-[

At least it shows I bothered to read your post !    :P    ::)    ;D

Written By: Davester on 09/29/08 at 2:13 am

Oh. No worries, Davester.  Guess I'll have to host my irony sensing skills.     :-[

At least it shows I bothered to read your post !    :P    ::)    ;D

Ok-a-a-a-a-y...

Written By: Green Lantern on 09/29/08 at 9:04 am

An interesting read ...... for those who like to read tributes ...........

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/sep/29/paulnewman.usa

Written By: seamermar on 09/30/08 at 2:27 pm

It's always a  loss in the whole when a good boy goes beyond,
This time I have no doubts, this man leaves a huge hole that should be feel at the entire world.

I state it from Spain, where my mother whos is at heaven since long was a foolish fan of Paul.

Sad feelings from him.  :\'(

I keep in my mind that man who never twisted his arm. 

Written By: Zeb on 10/14/08 at 3:20 pm

There goes a very kind, generous, and distinguished gentleman :)

Long Hot Summer
Color of Money
Road to Perdition

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/05/08 at 12:37 am

As an actor, entrepeneur (sic) and race car owner, Newman did everything with passion and success. It's a same we never saw him win the Indy 500 as an owner (it was the Andretti's fault). RIP Paul.

Check for new replies or respond here...