inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Jurassic Park" author Michael Crichton Dies

Written By: SemperYoda on 11/05/08 at 1:36 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/books/11/05/obit.crichton/index.html

He wrote some good books. 

Subject: Re: "Jurassic Park" author Michael Crichton Dies

Written By: thereshegoes on 11/05/08 at 3:07 pm

That's so sad. He was very controversial but i've always loved ER.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/05/08 at 3:30 pm

Wow, that is a bit of a shocker. Never really liked Jurassic Park but he was a great talent.

Cat

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/05/08 at 3:40 pm

RIP Mr Crichton. :(

You know, Jurassic Park really was groundbreaking I think, so he was a great creator. I actually saw it at the theatre in '93, which managed to interest, entertain and scare me all at the same time. Hearing the dinosaurs on theatre surround sound made it seem almost lifelike, and considering they were basically still using '80s technology, that was amazing. Obviously I knew it was fiction, but it gave you some idea of how it might seem if that really did happen (although they'd probably have been alot more destructive than just eating the lawyer on the toilet, LMAO). ;D

Written By: snozberries on 11/05/08 at 5:16 pm

Thank you. Thank Mr. Crichton for ER.  Too bad that's going away soon too.

totally a horrible thought but I am suddenly wondering if my autographed copy of Jurassic Park will finally be worth something?

Sorry Michael guess I should've waited a day or two before thinking that.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 11/05/08 at 5:29 pm

So sad... he was one of my favorite authors. I hadn't realized he was even sick... :(

Written By: audkal on 11/05/08 at 9:00 pm

I loved Jurassic Park--RIP Michael Crichton  :\'(

Written By: Doc Brown on 11/05/08 at 10:30 pm

So sad... he was one of my favorite authors. I hadn't realized he was even sick... :(

No one did, he kept his cancer battle out of the public eye, although I don't know if that was a wise decision.
I too am shocked and saddened by Mike Chrichton's passing. The writing on ER pushed me away years ago(particularly killing off Dr. Greene), but I always loved reading his books and going to see the movie versions. I was thrilled by The Terminal Man, Sphere, Jurassic Park, Rising Sun, Disclosure, The Lost World, Airframe, Timeline, and Prey. And for those of you who haven't seen them, I reccomend Congo and The 13th Warrior. Spielberg, Levinson, Donner, McTiernan, and others have lost a valuable collaborator as well as a fellow director(most notably Coma and Runaway). The literary world won't be the same without him. Farewell, MC.

Your Pal,
Doc

:(

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/06/08 at 1:26 am

It's sad. Crichton was a good author. the books of his I read and enjoyed are Sphere and Congo.  hopefully he passed peacefully

Written By: ninny on 11/06/08 at 5:36 am

This is a shock. He was very talented. RIP Michael. :\'(

Written By: danootaandme on 11/06/08 at 5:47 am

I remember when Coma came out and scared people to death.  I didn't think he could top it, but he did  :\'(

Written By: whistledog on 11/06/08 at 8:55 am

I wonder if they will do a tribute to him for this Final season of ER.

He directed one of the most underrated movies of the 80s:  'Runaway', a 1984 sci-fi thriller starring Tom Selleck and Gene Simmons, and his book 'Eaters of the Dead' was adapted into an amazing 1999 film called 'The 13th Warrior' starring Antonio Banderas

R.I.P. to a great writer, producer and director

Written By: greenjello74 on 11/06/08 at 10:08 am

My favs were Terminal man and Coma. I will miss him. RIP

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/06/08 at 9:08 pm

I didn't know he was sick either. 

I loved the Andromeda Strain and the first Jurassic Park.
:\'(

Written By: snozberries on 11/06/08 at 10:32 pm

No one did, he kept his cancer battle out of the public eye, although I don't know if that was a wise decision.
I too am shocked and saddened by Mike Chrichton's passing. The writing on ER pushed me away years ago(particularly killing off Dr. Greene), but I always loved reading his books and going to see the movie versions. I was thrilled by The Terminal Man, Sphere, Jurassic Park, Rising Sun, Disclosure, The Lost World, Airframe, Timeline, and Prey. And for those of you who haven't seen them, I reccomend Congo and The 13th Warrior. Spielberg, Levinson, Donner, McTiernan, and others have lost a valuable collaborator as well as a fellow director(most notably Coma and Runaway). The literary world won't be the same without him. Farewell, MC.

Your Pal,
Doc

:(

Hey Doc....

ER is going retro next week... that means the return of Dr. Greene and, presumably, some other old favorites.  I also suspect the episode will be dedicated to the memory of Michael Crichton since there was no dedication at the end of tonight's episode.

Your pal,
Q

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/07/08 at 7:51 am

66 years old! :o

And it was cancer-related!

Written By: greenjello74 on 11/07/08 at 7:50 pm

correction Robin Cook wrote Coma..... my bad :-[

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/09/08 at 6:51 am

This came as a complete shock to me while I was on holiday.

A sad loss to the literary world.

Check for new replies or respond here...