inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Canada Loses Last MacLean Brother

Written By: malibumike65 on 11/07/08 at 8:54 am

It's been over a week since his passing, but I just found this piece of info today. It saddens me to report that Blair MacLean, one half of the Canadian comedy team known as MacLean & MacLean, passed away in Winnepeg at the age of 65, on October 29th 2008, due to a heart attack. His brother Gary, the other half of the duo, passed away in 2001 due to cancer.
I don't think that much of their material was ever released outside of Canada, but I understand that one of their crude comedy songs about a specific part of Dolly Parton's anatomy actually made the UK charts many years back. I was fortunate enough to see MacLean & MacLean in concert in 1988 when they came to town as the opening act on a tour with former Guess Who frontman Burton Cummings, who actually produced, and appeared on their second album called "Bitter Reality". Not a show for those with a predilection(not sure if it is spelled correctly, but it was one of the words they used) for PC comedy, but they knew their core audience. I'm sure that many fans of the Canadian TV show "The Trailer Park Boys" had originally cut their comedy teeth to this duo back in the early 80s. They were originally from Cape Breton NS, and I'm sure that losing his brother in 2001 took a lot of wind out of Blair's sails, but at least now MacLean & MacLean are together again. Miss you two. RIP  :\'(

I'd Like To See The Coyote Eat The Road Runner
And I'd Like To See Knievel Blown To Bits
I'd Like To See Rex Humbard Lay His Hands Upon Maude Aimee
But I'd Love To See That Dolly Parton's ****
Yeah I'd Love To See That Dolly Parton's **** ....................

Subject: Re: Canada Loses Last MacLean Brother

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/08/08 at 1:13 am

It's been over a week since his passing, but I just found this piece of info today. It saddens me to report that Blair MacLean, one half of the Canadian comedy team known as MacLean & MacLean, passed away in Winnepeg at the age of 65, on October 29th 2008, due to a heart attack. His brother Gary, the other half of the duo, passed away in 2001 due to cancer.

Damn.

For those unfamiliar with Maclean and Maclean... If you know who John Valby is, just imagine two of him on stage at once. 

Their rendition of the old folk song The Fox involved the dropping of 30 F-bombs in 84 seconds ("Boy, they don't write songs like that anymore!  Now, you all know the words...") in front of a live audience.  ("By the way, we're recording tonight, so we wanna hear your voices, OK, alright, everybody sing with us!")

Just a couple of guys from Newfoundland who made a career out of raising profanity to an art form.  Some of the most side-splittingly funny stuff you'll ever hear. 

Recommended listening:  Suck Their Way to the Top/Takin' the 'O' out of 'Country' Show.  In addition to the ode to Ms. Parton's massive mamallian McGillicutties, you'll never think of Lady Di ("I Married the Wrong Di"), nor pubic hair (to the tune of "I've Been Everywhere") quite the same way again.  Oh, and there's a back-to-back skewering of Star Wars and Star Trek that have to be heard to be believed.

Check for new replies or respond here...