inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: On The Buses' Reg Varney dies at 92

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/16/08 at 4:35 pm

From BBC News Online

Comedy actor Reg Varney, best known for playing driver Stan Butler in ITV sitcom On The Buses, has died aged 92.

He died following a short illness in a nursing home in Budleigh Salterton, Devon, where he had recently been admitted with a chest infection.

His daughter Jeanne Marley, 59, said her father had died "peacefully" on Sunday afternoon.

On The Buses was one of the most successful British comedies of the 1970s, with over 60 TV episodes.

Varney's partnership with co-star Bob Grant, who played randy conductor Jack Harper, saw them become household names for a generation of viewers.

The series, which ran for seven years from 1969 and spawned three feature films, followed the two characters as they dodged work and did their best to wind up inspector Cyril "Blakey" Blake, played by Stephen Lewis.

Mrs Marley said he had only recently been admitted to the nursing home after he had begun suffering from a chest infection.

She said: "He's always been very young for his age. When he was in On The Buses he was playing a 35-year-old, but he was actually 50."

Subject: Re: On The Buses' Reg Varney dies at 92

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/17/08 at 12:52 am

From BBC News Online

Comedy actor Reg Varney, best known for playing driver Stan Butler in ITV sitcom On The Buses, has died aged 92.

He died following a short illness in a nursing home in Budleigh Salterton, Devon, where he had recently been admitted with a chest infection.

His daughter Jeanne Marley, 59, said her father had died "peacefully" on Sunday afternoon.

On The Buses was one of the most successful British comedies of the 1970s, with over 60 TV episodes.

Varney's partnership with co-star Bob Grant, who played randy conductor Jack Harper, saw them become household names for a generation of viewers.

The series, which ran for seven years from 1969 and spawned three feature films, followed the two characters as they dodged work and did their best to wind up inspector Cyril "Blakey" Blake, played by Stephen Lewis.

Mrs Marley said he had only recently been admitted to the nursing home after he had begun suffering from a chest infection.

She said: "He's always been very young for his age. When he was in On The Buses he was playing a 35-year-old, but he was actually 50."

Wow ... I had NO idea ... that Reg was 92. Never really thought about his age .... but I might've placed him at 40 when he was playing the 35 year old ?

Everybody seems to be biting the dust, these days !   :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/17/08 at 1:48 am

Wow ... I had NO idea ... that Reg was 92. Never really thought about his age .... but I might've placed him at 40 when he was playing the 35 year old ?

Everybody seems to be biting the dust, these days !   :(
Yes, it all seems to be the people I grew up with watching on television.

Written By: Green Lantern on 11/17/08 at 7:50 am

Yes, it all seems to be the people I grew up with watching on television.

We're not TOO far off the chopping block. Well, to some .. that may seem ..  ???  ... but once you get up there/ see how time flies ...  :-X

Assuming this site carries on, (inherited by Chuck's son / grandson ? )  ... I wonder if we'll be preserved  here ... spoken of in 'hushed tones' as legends .... in 'cyberspace' ?    ???   ::)

........... but I AIN'T holding my breath ... for THAT one !   8)    ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/17/08 at 9:23 am

I was reading in the obit  for Reg Varney in The Times that he started out at The Windmill Theatre which also hosted Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan, Tommy Cooper, etc.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 11/17/08 at 9:32 am

Philip, apparently Reg Varney was 50 when he played the part of Stan in On the Buses..he looked much younger than his age.. a sad loss but a great age to get to

http://www.televisionheaven.co.uk/onthebuses2.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/17/08 at 9:33 am

Philip, apparently Reg Varney was 50 when he played the part of Stan in On the Buses..he looked much younger than his age.. a sad loss but a great age to get to

http://www.televisionheaven.co.uk/onthebuses2.jpg
I had not considered that, and yes he did look younger that his age.

Written By: Stompgal on 11/21/08 at 9:21 am

I never actually watched 'On The Buses' but I read about Reg Varney's passing in Monday's Daily Mail. My housemate Michael has watched 'OnThe Buses' and he might have heard about the news.

RIP Reg.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 12/04/08 at 9:57 am

Holiday on the Buses was one of the funniest films ever

;D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...