inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Comedy TV Director Bob Spiers dies at 63

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/08 at 10:10 am

Comedy TV Director Bob Spiers dies at 63

Bob Spiers, who directed classic TV sitcom Absolutely Fabulous, has died at the age of 63 after a long illness.

Spiers, born in Glasgow, began his career as an assistant floor manager before becoming one of the BBC's most prolific sitcom directors.

His other credits include the second series of Fawlty Towers, as well as episodes of French and Saunders and Dad's Army.

In 1997, he directed the Spice Girls' movie Spice World.

In 1997, he directed the Spice Girls' movie Spice World.

Spiers also directed the pilot of Not the Nine O'Clock News, as well as episodes of Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie's sketch show A Bit of Fry & Laurie. 

In the 1980s he left the BBC to work as freelance director and producer, and directed many of the episodes of Channel 4's The Comic Strip Presents...

He also directed episodes of The Goodies and ITV children's drama Press Gang.

In an interview with the website Joking Apart, he said: "Think of the people I work with. It's there in the scripts. I'm in safe hands. I simply have to bring it out."

Spiers died in Devon surrounded by his family, but until recently had been living in Acapulco, Mexico

Subject: Re: Comedy TV Director Bob Spiers dies at 63

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/08 at 10:10 am

BOB SPIERS' CV

Dad's Army (1977)
Fawlty Towers (1979)
Are You Being Served? (1977-83)
French and Saunders (1988-93)
Press Gang (1989-1993)
Absolutely Fabulous (1992-2001)
A Bit of Fry and Laurie (1995)

Check for new replies or respond here...