inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: John Travolta's son Jett dies at 16

Written By: Dagwood on 01/02/09 at 3:24 pm

http://www.tmz.com/2009/01/02/john-travoltas-son-dies/

John Travolta's Son Dies

Posted Jan 2nd 2009 3:10PM by TMZ Staff

Rand Memorial Hospital in the Bahamas tells TMZ the son of John Travolta died today.

We're told 16-year-old Jett was vacationing with Travolta and wife Kelly Preston. We do not know the circumstances of his death.

There have been reports that Jett was autistic, though Travolta has denied it, saying he suffers from Kawasaki Syndrome, a condition which often leads to heart disease.

UPDATE: 4:00 PM ET -- Travolta's attorney Michael Ossi says Jett suffered a seizure at his family's vacation home at the Old Bahama Bay Hotel on Grand Bahama Island. Attempts to revive him were unsuccessful and he died on scene.

My heart goes out to his family. 

Subject: Re: John Travolta's son Jett dies at 16

Written By: ninny on 01/02/09 at 4:30 pm

http://www.tmz.com/2009/01/02/john-travoltas-son-dies/

My heart goes out to his family. 

This is a tragedy

the 16-year-old son of John Travolta has died after suffering a seizure at his family’s vacation home at the Old Bahama Bay Hotel on Grand Bahama Island.

Travolta’s attorney, Michael Ossi, tells Reuters that attempts were made to revive him, but he died at the scene.

Access reports Jett fell and hit his head on a bathtub at the hotel. TMZ reports Jett was taken to the Rand Memorial Hospital.

Travolta, 54, wife Kelly Preston, 46, and their family had been vacationing in the Bahamas. Travolta and Preston also have a daughter, Ella, 8.

RIP Jett :\'(

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 01/02/09 at 4:30 pm

How devastating... my prayers go out to both John & Kelly.... :(

Written By: danootaandme on 01/02/09 at 4:36 pm

The loss of a child is the worst.  :\'( :\'(

Written By: nally on 01/02/09 at 4:37 pm

The loss of a child is the worst.   :\'( :\'(

Especially when the child is so young. This is terrible. :\'(

Written By: star80 on 01/02/09 at 8:20 pm

Oh, I am so sad to hear this; John has always been one of my favorite actors.  How extremely sad.  He seems like such an all around good guy.  I can't even imagine losing one of my children.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/02/09 at 10:05 pm

I can't even imagine losing a child.  My heart is just breaking for them.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/02/09 at 10:35 pm

I am so sad to hear this. :(

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/02/09 at 10:37 pm

I just found this out....how horribly sad! My thoughts go out to the entire family.  :\'(

Written By: Stompgal on 01/03/09 at 10:39 am

This is extremely shocking and heartbreaking news. I heard about this on the radio this morning and I saw further coverage on the news today.

RIP Jett.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/03/09 at 11:10 am

John Travolta was never really a favorite of mine but I wouldn't wish this tragedy upon him. It truly is very sad. I hope that John, Kelly & Ella can find some peace.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/03/09 at 11:44 am

this makes me sad

Written By: Jessica on 01/03/09 at 9:34 pm

Just to throw this out there:

If all the theories and rumors are true, and Jett had health issues (mental and physical) that weren't being treated properly because of the beliefs of Scientology, then I really have no sympathy for John or Kelly.  As a matter of fact, if that theory proves to be true and Jett could have been helped with meds or whatever, then I really despise both of them and I hope they feel guilty for the rest of their lives.

That being said, it is awful when someone dies so young like that, especially if it could have been averted.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/04/09 at 6:23 am

If all the theories and rumors are true, and Jett had health issues (mental and physical) that weren't being treated properly because of the beliefs of Scientology, then I really have no sympathy for John or Kelly.  As a matter of fact, if that theory proves to be true and Jett could have been helped with meds or whatever, then I really despise both of them and I hope they feel guilty for the rest of their lives.

That being said, it is awful when someone dies so young like that, especially if it could have been averted.

I have just been reading that Jett Travolta, by all accounts, was autistic.  Scientologists don't believe in autism so the Travoltas blamed his behaviour on toxins or Kawasaki disease or some other such nonsense for 16 years.  For 16 years this poor kid went without services and professionals of the highest caliber that probably could have done wonders for his quality of life.  JT and Kelly can take a crash and burn from his million dollar jet.  No, better they should live long with the pain they will endure at the loss of a child, hopefully with the knowledge that they were instrumental in its cause.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/04/09 at 7:28 am

I have just been reading that Jett Travolta, by all accounts, was autistic.  Scientologists don't believe in autism so the Travoltas blamed his behaviour on toxins or Kawasaki disease or some other such nonsense for 16 years.  For 16 years this poor kid went without services and professionals of the highest caliber that probably could have done wonders for his quality of life.  JT and Kelly can take a crash and burn from his million dollar jet.  No, better they should live long with the pain they will endure at the loss of a child, hopefully with the knowledge that they were instrumental in its cause.

Scientologists believe that mental illness and other cognitive problems (like autism) are "all in your head" and so all psychiatrists and psychologists are quacks.

Apparently Jet's condition was caused by the well-known fatal toxins that are present in carpet shampoo and food particles that lodge in the carpet, this was the conclusion that the Travoltas came too, to explain Jet's Kawasaki Syndrome.  Jet was thus treated by following the secret Scientology-developed "cleansing process".

There is no test for Kawasaki's, it is a condition diagnosed by circumstance.

I did some checking on Wikipedia (yes, I know it is a sometimes dubious source) but it does not reference that a Kawasaki patient requires round-theclock care.  Instead it indicates that the severe symptoms eventually go away, although a patient "for life" will be at increased risk of coronary disease.

The Travoltas provided 16-year-old Jet with a nanny who was never more than 8 feet from Jet, round-the-clock according to one of Travolta's lawyers.  This would indicate to me that Jet either (a) suffered brain damage (explaining his seizures) as a result of Kawasaki if that is what he had, or (b) he was indeed autistic (also explaining his seizures as well as overall demeanor in public).  Otherwse, what "normal" 16-year-old kid has a nanny?

Did some non-Wiki research.  If detected early, kids can recover "within a few days" although the cardiac risk is still there.  About 19 out of every 100,000 Americans have it.  It is especially prevalent in children of Japanese and Korean descent. 

Written By: ninny on 01/04/09 at 9:16 am

Scientologists believe that mental illness and other cognitive problems (like autism) are "all in your head" and so all psychiatrists and psychologists are quacks.

Apparently Jet's condition was caused by the well-known fatal toxins that are present in carpet shampoo and food particles that lodge in the carpet, this was the conclusion that the Travoltas came too, to explain Jet's Kawasaki Syndrome.  Jet was thus treated by following the secret Scientology-developed "cleansing process".

There is no test for Kawasaki's, it is a condition diagnosed by circumstance.

I did some checking on Wikipedia (yes, I know it is a sometimes dubious source) but it does not reference that a Kawasaki patient requires round-theclock care.  Instead it indicates that the severe symptoms eventually go away, although a patient "for life" will be at increased risk of coronary disease.

The Travoltas provided 16-year-old Jet with a nanny who was never more than 8 feet from Jet, round-the-clock according to one of Travolta's lawyers.  This would indicate to me that Jet either (a) suffered brain damage (explaining his seizures) as a result of Kawasaki if that is what he had, or (b) he was indeed autistic (also explaining his seizures as well as overall demeanor in public).  Otherwse, what "normal" 16-year-old kid has a nanny?

Did some non-Wiki research.  If detected early, kids can recover "within a few days" although the cardiac risk is still there.  About 19 out of every 100,000 Americans have it.  It is especially prevalent in children of Japanese and Korean descent. 

That's what sucks about the whole thing,I have been reading doctors reports they all say nothing about his condition leads them to believe he had Kawaskii Syndrome
If he was properly diagnosed and they would have treated him for autism this could have been prevented
I don't wish a childs death on any parents but when your "religious beliefs" interfere with taking care of your family,then you need to do some deep soul searching.
One doctors opinion
I am a pediatric emergency room physician. We occasionally diagnose Kawasaki Disease (now properly called Kawasaki Syndrome) in young children. There are so many things wrong with the story of Jett's death that I am not sure where to start, but here's a try:

1) NO association between Kawasaki and "toxic carpet cleaning chemicals" (or any other environmental cause) has ever been established. Given that these chemicals are ubiquitous in our society, if there were an association I would expect Kawasaki to be much more common.

2) As far as I know, Kawasaki disease does not lead to brain injury or seizures.  I suppose one could conjecture that if Jett had untreated heart problems from Kawasaki (which CAN happen) this could have led to a heart attack that led to seizures and death, but it sounds like Jett had seizures for a long time, which makes this a bit of a reach.

3) It would be incredibly rare to bump your head and die from a seizure. 

We see children every day with seizures, and not once have I seen a child bump his head hard enough to have a brain injury from this.  Of course, prolonged seizures or seizures that occur while doing something dangerous (driving, swimming, etc.) can lead to brain injury, but otherwise this is a stretch.  Also, autistic children can exhibit self-injurious behavior, especially if untreated, and can exhibit behavior such as intentianally hitting their heads agains walls or other hard objects. It is much more likely that a head injury led to brain injury (the cause of death) and the seizure than the other way around.   

Written By: snozberries on 01/04/09 at 10:55 am

I don't really do the whole celebrity tracking thing - you know paparazzi following celebs down the street. So I hadn't seen any images of Jett until yesterday. He had the look of someone who had some developmental disability of some sort. Whether that was autism or something else I don't know.

I think it's sad that a so-called religion would dismiss biological and neurologically  proven illnesses because they don't "believe in them" it's simply ridiculous.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/04/09 at 3:08 pm

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag/2009/01/avid-critics-of.html

"I don’t think it’s a stretch to call their treatment of Jett child abuse,” Ocala, Florida restaurant manager Tim Kenny tells Hollywood, Interrupted. Kenny claims he met Travolta at his restaurant in February, and, after “comping” the movie star and his daughter a meal per restaurant policy for celebrities, he asked him, “as one autistic child’s father to another,” if he “was doing anything special in terms of therapy” for Jett. Aghast, Travolta responded, “Well, we involve him in the arts.” Then, he offered to send Kenny a book, and high-tailed it out of the restaurant.

“If I ever received a Scientology book from him , I’d find him, and throw it back at him,” says Kenny. “Scientology is keeping him from acknowledging his son’s autism. They see it as a weakness. That’s what the space aliens are telling him I guess.”

Scientology is a cult-like religion.  It is distressing that young Mr. Travolta's life was cut short because his parents had a demonstrably erroneous conviction that autism is "not real." 

Whether Jett's neurological condition was secondary to autism or if his death was caused by this Kawasaki disease makes little difference.  Scientology's hatred for behavioral health medicine deters its adherents from investigating related problems. 

BTW, autism is not a "psychiatric" illness, but a neurological disorder with cognitive/behavioral manifestations.  I have a mild form of it myself, Asperger syndrome. 

What would L. Ron Hubbard have us believe?  Neurological problems are caused by "degraded beings" (aka demons) that one brings upon oneself.  What is this the 14th century?
>:(

Scientology is dangerous to children.

Written By: 2kidsami on 01/04/09 at 3:14 pm

New from Fox news

"There have also been several reports that suggest Travolta, a scientologist, refused to give his son anti-seizure medication.

But Travolta reportedly gave his son Depakote — an anti-seizure medication — for years, TMZ reported. The family eventually stopped administering the drug after it lost its effectiveness, cause Jett “serious physical damage,” McDermott told TMZ.

The grand mal seizures from which Jett suffered were as frequent as once every four days and were considered “extremely serious.”"

Not sure what to believe; and it seems as if there is some discrepency a to the time frame in which Jett died - but this is very sad none the less....

:\'(

Written By: danootaandme on 01/04/09 at 4:56 pm

New from Fox news

"There have also been several reports that suggest Travolta, a scientologist, refused to give his son anti-seizure medication.

But Travolta reportedly gave his son Depakote — an anti-seizure medication — for years, TMZ reported. The family eventually stopped administering the drug after it lost its effectiveness, cause Jett “serious physical damage,” McDermott told TMZ.

The grand mal seizures from which Jett suffered were as frequent as once every four days and were considered “extremely serious.”"

Not sure what to believe; and it seems as if there is some discrepency a to the time frame in which Jett died - but this is very sad none the less....

:\'(

If he had his son on depakote, or any anti seizure medication, and he took him regularly to a neurologist, then his dose would have been adjusted, or different medications would have been substituted. If the Travoltas decided they would just stop giving him meds, well I just haven't the words....  >:(

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/04/09 at 5:43 pm

While I will definitely say that the whole Scientology thing is a case of whack jobs and swindlers, I cannot say that the Travoltas' practices could absolutely have prevented Jet's death.

If he was severely autistic and having seizures as often as I've been reading, and the Depakote was not working any more, it is well within the realm of reality that no medicine could 100% get rid of the seizures.

At this point all we really know is that the kid fell in the bathtub and whacked his head.  He easily coulda slipped on the soap or something.

And even if he was autistic... and under conventional therapies... this situation coulda happened.

I am not making excuses for Scientology quackery that's for sure, but blaming this incident on the parents I think is off base.

What I CAN beef about is why somebody in the Travoltas' position might take the low road and hide the kid's true condition?  Is the lure of The Cult that strong?

Written By: Jessica on 01/04/09 at 5:58 pm

Is the lure of The Cult that strong?

Yes.

From what I've read about $cientology, they believe that if something is wrong with someone mentally, that it is their fault, and it is their responsibility to get over it by studying the church's teachings more.  There is also some other sheeshe about L. Ron Dipschitt saying that the mentally handicapped should be put away and forgotten, or some crap like that. ::)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 01/04/09 at 8:40 pm

Yahoo said that some sorces are saying he died in Travolta's arms after he tried CPR on Jett.  Scientology claims the life of another.  RIP Jett. :\'(

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/04/09 at 11:11 pm

What I CAN beef about is why somebody in the Travoltas' position might take the low road and hide the kid's true condition?  Is the lure of The Cult that strong?

Yes.

Google "Lisa McPherson" if you want an idea of how their "introspection" treatment is supposed to work, and what happens when it goes wrong.  Pay particular attention to the number of hospitals one has to drive past before one can find one with a doctor who's also a member of the cult.  And try not to pay too much attention to the cockroaches. 

The "purification" treatment is similarly bunk, although it involves an overdose of B12 and a lot of time getting dehydrated in a sauna.

Although the "purification" treatment was not instrumental in the Travolta case, the Lisa McPherson case is a textbook example of how the cult responds to the bad PR that ensues when a cult member dies while being "treated" by the cult's quackery.  In Lisa's case, the "introspection" treatment was to "cure" her of her "psychotic break", which, in cult terminology, translates loosely as "she wanted to leave the cult". 

The deliberate redefinition of real-world terms is another red flag you can use when identifying coercive organizations.  Get the victim spending more time using your custom-made dictionary than thinking about what's going on, and he's easier to control.  Straight out of Orwell's 1984.  As with everything else, the Scilons take it to a whole new level; if you've got the victim convinced that your organization is all about mental health, starting right from pulp fiction novels in which the "Psychlos" (see, this thread's still about Travolta and Battlefield Earth) are the bad guys, it's not as much of a stretch to convince them that real-world mental health professionals are actually part of the Fifth Invader Force.  (For some serious lulz, google "Fifth Invader Force".  Yes, they really believe that.)

Written By: danootaandme on 01/05/09 at 6:25 am

Hiding the condition goes right to the core of what angers me. Keeping him close when he could have attended the best schools in the world when people are struggling to get minimal care and services.  He saw his sons condition as something to be hidden as if there is shame.  As if the Travoltas are too good, to perfect, to have what they consider to be an imperfect child. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/05/09 at 10:36 am

While I will definitely say that the whole Scientology thing is a case of whack jobs and swindlers, I cannot say that the Travoltas' practices could absolutely have prevented Jet's death.

If he was severely autistic and having seizures as often as I've been reading, and the Depakote was not working any more, it is well within the realm of reality that no medicine could 100% get rid of the seizures.

At this point all we really know is that the kid fell in the bathtub and whacked his head.  He easily coulda slipped on the soap or something.

And even if he was autistic... and under conventional therapies... this situation coulda happened.

I am not making excuses for Scientology quackery that's for sure, but blaming this incident on the parents I think is off base.

Yes, for true believers.  What makes Scientology a cult is the way it lures members into an unquestionable faith and punishes adherents for doubt. 
Rule #1.  L. Ron Hubbard is always right.
Rule #2.  If L. Ron Hubbard is wrong, see rule #1.
If you don't like it you can leave, but you'll be bullied and blackballed and you'll lose all your Scientology friends and the only support system you have in your life. 

Of course, the Thetans and the Body of Death disappear with a little antipsychotic medication, so it's vital to the organization that members be discouraged from see psychiatrists. 

It sounds to me like Jett Travolta had one or more other neurological problems comorbid with autism.  Medical conditions may have punctuated Travolta's life all the same, but if that young man's health was in such jeapardy perhaps it was time for his parents to seek treatment outside Scientologic orthodoxy.  Travolta and Preston, being rich and famous, would probably have encountered little resistance from the organization if they put their foot down.  John Travolta could rain months of bad publicity on Scientology if he told the press the organization was pressuring him to let his autistic son die.  Travolta is a phenomenal star of cinema and television and is loved by millions worldwide.  The Scientologists know they have to keep recruiting new members to fleece in order to keep their bogus operation going and people's sympathy would got to Travolta, not them.  That would cost the Scientolgoy business a fortune!
:o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/05/09 at 12:04 pm

I am a firm believer that consenting adults have the right to practice anything they want. If they want to following the teachings of a Sci-Fi writer or following the teachings of a notorious storyteller, that is their right. However, when it comes to children, then it gets into a sticky situation. Parents have been poisoning their children's minds for centuries in the name of religion.

"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/06/09 at 6:18 am

I am a firm believer that consenting adults have the right to practice anything they want. If they want to following the teachings of a Sci-Fi writer or following the teachings of a notorious storyteller, that is their right. However, when it comes to children, then it gets into a sticky situation. Parents have been poisoning their children's minds for centuries in the name of religion.

Cat

Thus the need to avoid at all costs a diagnosis of autism.  If a child is officially diagnosed as autistic, failure to get proper treatment can be construed by the authorities as child abuse.

So... keep the kid sequestered away... use doctors who are only subscribing to the appropriate "faith"... and then you avoid the delicate problem of child abuse.

Of course now we have to put up with about 3 weeks solid of stupid "late breaking news" about this kid's death.  ::)  Mind you I am truly sorry that a young boy has died, but enough already.  I don't need to see a whole week of The Insider and late night news devoted to "breaking news" like he was Anna Nicole Smith or something.  8-P  We'll also be seeing the Scientology All-Stars (Travolta, Tom Cruize, Kirstie Alley, Juliette Lewis, Leah Remeni) all coming forward to promote the claptrap of their "faith".

Written By: danootaandme on 01/06/09 at 6:35 am

Thus the need to avoid at all costs a diagnosis of autism.  If a child is officially diagnosed as autistic, failure to get proper treatment can be construed by the authorities as child abuse.

So... keep the kid sequestered away... use doctors who are only subscribing to the appropriate "faith"... and then you avoid the delicate problem of child abuse.

Not true.  You get the diagnosis and you are able to get services that improve the childs life.  Right now it is becoming more and more difficult to actually get the diagnosis because the child then is eligible for services he/she would not get without having that word on paper.  Parents have alot of leeway, especially in the area of drugs, in the way their child will be treated.  Children are not "sequestered" away as much as you think, as a matter of fact the hardest part of adult care is the so called "typicals" who don't want group homes in their neighborhoods.

This hit a nerve, my child is autistic, luckily high functioning, but I do know lots of people who deal with some severe cases, and I have to say...You don't know what you are talking about.

Written By: Jessica on 01/06/09 at 10:33 am

Not true.  You get the diagnosis and you are able to get services that improve the childs life.  Right now it is becoming more and more difficult to actually get the diagnosis because the child then is eligible for services he/she would not get without having that word on paper.  Parents have alot of leeway, especially in the area of drugs, in the way their child will be treated.  Children are not "sequestered" away as much as you think, as a matter of fact the hardest part of adult care is the so called "typicals" who don't want group homes in their neighborhoods.

This hit a nerve, my child is autistic, luckily high functioning, but I do know lots of people who deal with some severe cases, and I have to say...You don't know what you are talking about.

I think LyricBoy is talking about what John and Kelly might have been doing to Jett so as not to deal with abuse or neglect charges from the authorities.  I don't think he was saying that ALL parents of autistic children are hiding their kids away and ignoring their needs.

There was a video floating around of John Travolta and Kelly Preston out with Jett and Bella at dinner.  From the way Jett moves and is being held on to (or guided, as it looks) by his dad and someone else, you can clearly see that there is something wrong.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/06/09 at 11:59 am

Of course now we have to put up with about 3 weeks solid of stupid "late breaking news" about this kid's death.   ::)  Mind you I am truly sorry that a young boy has died, but enough already.  I don't need to see a whole week of The Insider and late night news devoted to "breaking news" like he was Anna Nicole Smith or something.  8-P  We'll also be seeing the Scientology All-Stars (Travolta, Tom Cruize, Kirstie Alley, Juliette Lewis, Leah Remeni) all coming forward to promote the claptrap of their "faith".

I do agree with you there.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/06/09 at 7:16 pm

Danoota, I think you misinterpreted my comments.  Scientologists do not believe in autism as they feel that it is a mental illness and as such "it is all in the kid's head".

So if somebody is a Scientologist and their kid has autistic tendencies, they will deny it and avoid getting the diagnosis.  Because if the kid is formally diagnosed and they do not get him treatment, they could be seen by the legal system as child abusers.

I meant absolutely no disrespect towards people (like yourself) who have autistic children and who pursue proper diagnosis and treatment.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/06/09 at 11:10 pm

Children are not "sequestered" away as much as you think, as a matter of fact the hardest part of adult care is the so called "typicals" who don't want group homes in their neighborhoods.

LyricBoy beat me to it.  This isn't about a normal family that wants to help their offspring by using evidence-based medicine.  This is about a child whose parents belong to a dangerous cult that teaches, among other things, that people with mental illnesses are degraded beings

Written By: danootaandme on 01/07/09 at 5:20 am

Danoota, I think you misinterpreted my comments.  Scientologists do not believe in autism as they feel that it is a mental illness and as such "it is all in the kid's head".

So if somebody is a Scientologist and their kid has autistic tendencies, they will deny it and avoid getting the diagnosis.  Because if the kid is formally diagnosed and they do not get him treatment, they could be seen by the legal system as child abusers.

I meant absolutely no disrespect towards people (like yourself) who have autistic children and who pursue proper diagnosis and treatment.

I re-read.  I flew off the handle a bit.  You are right that some people do avoid the diagnosis, but usually it is not to avoid proper treatment.  I have found that professionals do not want to give that diagnosis.  People leading real lives strive for the diagnosis in order to open the path for the services they can get with the diagnosis. People who avoid the diagnosis tend to be in denial, but denial usually gives way by the age of of 7 or 8 when the child is getting out of the cute manageable stage and it becomes obvious that this is something they will not outgrow. 

The legal system tends to keep a hands off approach to the different treatments that people with autism receive, drug related or otherwise, because there aren't any certainties in any of it, it is such a wide spectrum.  I wonder if the Travoltas ever became involved with a parents group, I tend to doubt it. It is sad but true that the only way to get the best information and care is not in talking to the professionals, but by talking to other parents about their experiences. I wonder if Jett was in a program with children with a similar level of autism, I tend to doubt that, too.  That is the shame of the Travoltas.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/07/09 at 12:41 pm

LyricBoy beat me to it.  This isn't about a normal family that wants to help their offspring by using evidence-based medicine.  This is about a child whose parents belong to a dangerous cult that teaches, among other things, that people with mental illnesses are degraded beings

Yeah, kooky, huh?
:D

Written By: danootaandme on 01/10/09 at 7:10 am

...and now the "that isn't what he(L.  Ron) really meant"  scramble

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/10/09 at 6:49 pm

Well, Entertainment Tonight just wasted nearly an hour about the death of Jett Travolta.

My guess is that they (ET producers) are freinds of the family, because there was no mention at all about "the elephant in the room".

Written By: snozberries on 01/10/09 at 6:57 pm

"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

Cat

see this is exactly how I feel about christianity too... L. Ron Hubbard wrote sci - fi and in my mind the bible is just an anthology... a book of stories like hans christian anderson.... but I digress.....

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/10/09 at 10:37 pm

Well, Entertainment Tonight just wasted nearly an hour about the death of Jett Travolta.

My guess is that they (ET producers) are freinds of the family, because there was no mention at all about "the elephant in the room".

Nothing so dramatic.  The Scilons were reasonably successful in their attempt to infiltrate Hollywood, because their cult appeals to people who (a) enjoy having their egos stroked, (b) are scientifically illiterate, (c) have lots of money, and (d) are capable of influencing other people in categories (a), (b), and (c) to do stupid things.  Hollywood's a target-rich environment, loaded with celebutards who'll act as free advertising for whatever dippy cause you can convince them of.

If you're an ET producer, you're not in the hard news business, you're in the business of getting Hollywood actors to come onto your show as part of the PR blitz for their latest movies.  If the Scilons tell their actors never to interview with ET, then ET can no longer provide complete coverage of the entertainment industry, and you go out of business.  So yeah, if you're ET, you ignore the elephant in the room, especially in cases like this, where the allegations are "plausible", because "plausible" is light-years away from "proven to a standard that would require criminal or civil charges".

Mainstream "real" news reporting suffers from the same problem -- whether you're FOX's Rupert Murdoch or CNN's Ted Turner, you're in the business of entertaining the public and selling advertising space during the broadcasts, not asking hard questions, which is why the White House press corps may take a playful nip every now and then, but it never dares to bite the hand that feeds it.

The flip side is that when a story does get big enough, and when there's nothing to lose by telling the story, the lamestream media is pretty good at taking down icons.  Scandals sell!  So no, ET will ignore the elephant in the room for now, but they'll have plenty of dry powder when the cult's on its last legs, and/or when someone of the level of Tom Cruise or John Travolta finally defects from the cult.  (Jason Beghe showing up at the Anonymous protests was pretty spiffy, but he's not a game-ender for the cult.)

Written By: Silver Power on 01/17/09 at 9:40 am

Why did Jett have to die? Because of scientology? Why couldn't Tom Cruise die instead?

If Beck or Will Smith dies somehow due to Scientology, I'll be P.O.'d

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/17/09 at 6:24 pm

I just read where Travolta's brother is a bigwig in some sort of "Parents of Autistic Children" organization.  You gotta figure his ass has to be really chapped over how Jett was treated.

Also there was an article that quoted Anne Archer, who said that Jett "clearly was mentally handicapped".  It sux big time that he was simply hidden away.

Written By: Silver Power on 01/17/09 at 7:26 pm

It's weird, because when I first saw the news story online, and saw a picture of Jett, I could somehow tell he had a disability. I'm not saying that disabled/autistic people all look the same, but there was just something about him. It's really weird. I didn't know he was for sure until I read this thread.

Written By: snozberries on 01/17/09 at 9:23 pm

It's weird, because when I first saw the news story online, and saw a picture of Jett, I could somehow tell he had a disability. I'm not saying that disabled/autistic people all look the same, but there was just something about him. It's really weird. I didn't know he was for sure until I read this thread.

because we're all authorities on Jett Travolta  ;)

Written By: Silver Power on 01/18/09 at 2:19 am

because we're all authorities on Jett Travolta  ;)

Exactly. I'm like, okay, so MSN, Yahoo, and AOL say he has a disability, and I'm like 'Well, I don't know how much I can trust their sources', so I knew I had to come to InThe00s, where all the most cited and sourced individuals come to commerce.

Written By: snozberries on 01/18/09 at 12:38 pm

Exactly. I'm like, okay, so MSN, Yahoo, and AOL say he has a disability, and I'm like 'Well, I don't know how much I can trust their sources', so I knew I had to come to InThe00s, where all the most cited and sourced individuals come to commerce.

;D

Written By: ninny on 09/29/09 at 10:29 am

*Bump*

John Travolta know admits that Jett suffered from autism.
John Travolta finally revealed in a Bahamian courtroom what he was never able to say publicly when his son, Jett, was alive.

"He was autistic," Travolta told the court during the extortion trial. "He suffered from a seizure disorder."

Travolta said Jett suffered seizures every five to 10 days and that each seizure lasted around 45 seconds. Jett would often sleep for 12 hours after an episode.

Earlier today, the actor described the events on Jan. 2, the day of his son’s death.

Jett's nanny awakened Travolta and Kelly Preston at roughly 10:15 a.m., the actor said, telling them Jett was unconscious in his bathroom.
One of Jett’s caretakers was already performing chest compressions. Travolta began administering CPR to his son, whom he also acknowledged on the stand had not only Kawasaki disease but also autism.

The trial concerns extortion charges against Pleasant Bridgewater, a former senator, and Tarino Lightbourne, an ambulance driver, who are alleged to have attempted to extort $25 million from Travolta in connection with his son's death.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/29/09 at 11:56 am

Autistic?

I thought the kid had some other disorder that was caused by the Travolta's use of a dangerous carpet cleaning soap.

Written By: ninny on 09/29/09 at 2:01 pm

Autistic?

I thought the kid had some other disorder that was caused by the Travolta's use of a dangerous carpet cleaning soap.

That's what the Scientologist wanted you to believe

Written By: Tam on 09/29/09 at 2:52 pm

Autistic?

That's what the Scientologist wanted you to believe

Kawasaki Disease
"Children's Hospital Boston reports that "some studies have found associations between the occurrence of Kawasaki disease and recent exposure to carpet cleaning or residence near a body of stagnant water; however, cause and effect have not been established.""

Written By: ninny on 09/29/09 at 5:01 pm

Kawasaki Disease
"Children's Hospital Boston reports that "some studies have found associations between the occurrence of Kawasaki disease and recent exposure to carpet cleaning or residence near a body of stagnant water; however, cause and effect have not been established.""

This is what they always claimed he had, because they(Scientologist) don't believe in every child that is diagnosed with autism, but now John has finally admitted that his son did suffer from autism.

Check for new replies or respond here...